Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 08, 2011

The last installment of the Modern Warfare trilogy brings World War 3 to the world of Call of Duty. While the U.S., British, and French armed forces try to push back the Russian invasion, the disavowed Task Force 141 begin their hunt for international terrorist Vladimir Makarov.

On the decline

SenseMotive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SenseMotive

This year really seems like COD's last year to not have to innovate. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to buy the game and have tons of fun for a couple months. But MW2 seems like the last game in the series to have made pretty significant changes, and it's gonna take even more drastic changes to keep people from hopping ship. Competition from Battlefield will force improvement, and sadly I don't think Treyarch can hold up for next year.

We all saw what happened with Halo's decline and COD's rise. I see that sort of situation happening again very soon...

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By groin

This argument comes up every year but COD keeps breaking sales records. I also do not understand the comparisons to Battlefield. The only similarities between the games are military dudes shooting each other. The gameplay of both series are fundamentally different and they scratch a different itch.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By MachoFantastico

It's personal, I'm sure Modern Warfare 3 will go on to sell well but it still amazes me that it's been pretty much the same exact game for so many years now and still stays as popular as ever. Me? I won't be playing Modern Warfare 3 at all, been burnt to many times.

While I don't usually care a great deal about reviews, I am fascinated to see what people think of it. If it's the same exact experience and doesn't get criticized for it, I fully expect nerd rage to happen after so many review sites have criticized recent games for being a similar experience (Forza, Uncharted and so on). I'll admit, that would probably piss me off a bit.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By zidd

Thats what happens when your studio heads and a good portion of your creative team jumps ship. I think the COD bubble is going to burst just like the Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk ones before it.

Xdsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Xdsk

@TrueEnglishGent said:

It's personal, I'm sure Modern Warfare 3 will go on to sell well but it still amazes me that it's been pretty much the same exact game for so many years now and still stays as popular as ever. Me? I won't be playing Modern Warfare 3 at all, been burnt to many times.

While I don't usually care a great deal about reviews, I am fascinated to see what people think of it. If it's the same exact experience and doesn't get criticized for it, I fully expect nerd rage to happen after so many review sites have criticized recent games for being a similar experience (Forza, Uncharted and so on). I'll admit, that would probably piss me off a bit.

Exactly, its the same game every year, sorry but im not falling onto the hype train this year. There are too many other games for me to be playing.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By kmdrkul

I think a good comparison for the path that Call of Duty is on would be the Guitar Hero franchise. Remember how huge those games were? Remember how quickly people stopped caring? You pump out a game per year for these franchises and the creativity gets exhausted.

ds8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ds8k

Activision ruins IPs. Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero, now Call of Duty.

Hameyadea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Hameyadea

@Xdsk said:

@TrueEnglishGent said:

Exactly, its the same game every year, sorry but im not falling onto the hype train this year. There are too many other games for me to be playing.

Skyrim!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.