Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: World at War

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 11, 2008

The fifth installment of the Call of Duty series, bringing most of the gameplay and graphical improvements of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare back to World War II conflict. It is also the first Call of Duty game set in the Pacific Theater.

Is it COD: World at War or COD5?

waketowakekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By waketowakekid

I have noticed thru different searches the amount of COD: World at War problems that people have. Some valid, others funny. The greatest one is everyone saying that World at War is NOT COD 5. Makes me Chuckle. Lets take a look shall we. Oh before I start. Everyone I seem to run into says that Treyarch sucks and that Infinity Ward is so much better. Ok Lets begin.

2001- Infinity Ward develops: Call Of Duty. It won over 80 "Game of the Year" awards
    2004- Treyarch develops Call Of Duty: United Offensive. As an expansion it introduced a ranking system for multiplayer. 
    2004- Spark Unlimited develops: Call Of Duty Finest Hour.
    2005- Infinity Ward is back with: Call Of Duty 2 for XBOX 360 and PC
    2005- Same time Treyarch develops: Call Of Duty 2:Big Red One for XBOX 
    2006- Treyarch develops: Call Of Duty 3. In my opinion not a great game. But Treyarch was pressed for time on the release.
    2007- Infinity Ward develops COD: Modern Warfare. Needless to say we all know how well the game was recieved by us gamers. Great game. But took a different turn from the WWII atmosphere.
    2008- Treyarch developed COD: World at War. Back to WWII.
    2009- Infinity Ward is back with Modern Warfare 2. 

Ok lets look at that info. Inifinity ward comes up with and idea, Treyarch expands from the original with a sequel. They seem to be working together. There is kind of an order isn't there? Why do the haters have to rip on Treyarch? I give props to Infinity Ward for taking a chance away from the WWII genre. Plus I give props to Treyarch for making the WWII atmosphere come alive and expanding on that genre to make it better. By looking at this list you can't call either of them bad or 1 is better than another. If anything Spark Unlimited is the bad developer. They developed 1 game for Call Of Duty which sucked! Oh and if your not sure who they are. They developed there second game not too long ago. I am sure you remember Turning Point: Fall of Liberty. Horrible Game.

Now as for calling World at War COD 5. I am Yes and No. According to the release dates of the games (not the expansions) I would have to say YES. But looking at it from a logical standpoint. NO. In my opinion COD 4 Modern Warfare has the wrong title. It should just have been called: Call Of Duty Modern Warfare. Since it has nothing to do with the WWII era. Call Of Duty World at War should have been called COD 4 World at War going by past history of the Call Of Duty lineup. Notice how Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 does not say Call Of Duty 6 Modern Wardare 2? Despite what all the tags to the game are on YouTube and other posts. Look at the box art. But according to the numerical system already appointed to the games from the gaming cummunity. It stands as number 6 in the series. Keep in mind before verbally bashing me. That all this is not to anger anyone. It's simply to point out that people have their own opinions. I am just in the middle laughing at the arguements. Besides the release dates on all the games and expansions this is all just my opinion and my logic on the situation. Again sorry if I made anyone mad. 

Oh and If anyone wants to Play some Call Of Duty: World at War hit me up! My gamertag is
    Wake2Wake208

Vod_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Vod_Crack

I can't stand people calling it CoD5. It is just wrong.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic

its both

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By c1337us

I guess its accurate to call WaW Call of Duty 5 and MW2 Call of Duty 6 or whatever. But I think they are in the process of giving Call of Duty and Modern Warfare completely seperate identities as they both movie forward from here.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Ineedaname

If it's not in the title it's not coming in, kinda like GTA.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Akeldama
    @Vod_Crack said:
    " I can't stand people calling it CoD5. It is just wrong. "  
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " its both "
    Ahmad is a fail
    MikPick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By MikPick
    @Ineedaname: That's a good way to put it. 

I personally just use World At War, I never use 5.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pause422

It's not Cod 5.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

it says World at war on the box so thats what I call it

Slurpelve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Slurpelve

COD: World at War is the right way to say it. but some people just say COD5 for short because its the 5th game of the series,even if COD: World at War is more of a stand-alone series.    
    Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Druminator

It will be COD5 when the box says so.

HairySpud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HairySpud

Oh, this drives me mad. 
    For me, it's the fifth game to come out with the title "Call of Duty". Therefore, in my eyes, it's clearly COD5.
    kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kmdrkul

It's whatever you want it to be.  People who argue about an issue as trivial as this are idiots.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By natetodamax

People hate on Treyarch because Infinity Ward makes better games, and Treyarch's games are just bad.

iiNF3RNo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iiNF3RNo

if it was cod5 the title would be COD5

waketowakekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By waketowakekid
    @natetodamax said:
    " People hate on Treyarch because Infinity Ward makes better games, and Treyarch's games are just bad. "
    How can you say that?   Without Treyarch, Call Of Duty would not have all those awesome multiplayer modes or a good advancement system. If you read thhe info above. Treyarch was the first 1 out of the 2 that created a ranking system to keep us playing. I think that both developers are extremely good at what they do. Both have to be good developers anyway. They are owed by Activision Blizzard.
    kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kmdrkul
    @waketowakekid said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " People hate on Treyarch because Infinity Ward makes better games, and Treyarch's games are just bad. "
    How can you say that?   Without Treyarch, Call Of Duty would not have all those awesome multiplayer modes or a good advancement system. If you read thhe info above. Treyarch was the first 1 out of the 2 that created a ranking system to keep us playing. I think that both developers are extremely good at what they do. Both have to be good developers anyway. They are owed by Activision Blizzard. "
    It doesn't matter what you say.  No Treyarch game has ever been bad, yet people are going to hate them for the sake of hating them.  Bunch of bandwagoners.  Treyarch didn't make their precious Call of Duty 4 that they so salivate over for hours so they get all butthurt and try to go on a vendetta against the devs.  

Protip:  ignore them
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Baillie

It is cod5. 

TonicBH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TonicBH
    @kmdrkul said:
    " It doesn't matter what you say.  No Treyarch game has ever been bad, yet people are going to hate them for the sake of hating them.  Bunch of bandwagoners.  Treyarch didn't make their precious Call of Duty 4 that they so salivate over for hours so they get all butthurt and try to go on a vendetta against the devs.  

Protip:  ignore them "

You've never played Minority Report, have you? That's a terrible game, and that was Treyarch-developed. Mind you, that was several years ago, but still. They made bad games.  The problem is that people just want to hate on Treyarch because they're not IW and somehow IW is god to the series. They are the creators, yes, but Treyarch tended to be the refiners. They introduced throwing back grenades in COD3. Rank-based stuff was in Treyarch-developed COD games before 4 (although it wasn't persistent, and it was in other COD games like United Offensive), and the "multiple perspectives of a war put together into one large campaign" started with COD3, not COD4.

Also, OP: It's "World at War." It was never called COD5. Much like GTA: Vice City is not GTA4.
    JoeMarsden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JoeMarsden

It's not Call of Duty 5. TonicBH's example of GTA hit the nail right on the head. Vice City isn't GTA4. My personal opinion also shuns World at War, because I really don't like it at all. If Treyarch never did a Call of Duty title again, i'd be more than happy.

waketowakekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By waketowakekid

ahh but remember what Infinity Ward said. They mentioned that they were going to drop the "Call Of Duty" brand on Modern Warfare 2. There is still debate that they may or may not place it in the title. But for the fun of it lets say that they dont place "Call Of Duty" in the title. What then? You can't call it COD6 or COD for that matter either. 

Oh and just to state for the record. If you bought Minority Report, your dumb. If you buy any game made alongside a movie release..... YOUR DUMB! They all are terrible. So for you buying it, renting it, borrowing it. YOUR DUMB.

PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PowerSerj
    @waketowakekid said:
    "...your dumb...YOUR DUMB!...YOUR DUMB."
    lol
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Scooper

Who gives a shit.

waketowakekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By waketowakekid
    @Scooper said:
    " Who gives a shit. "
    i must say for reading this. it must have interested you a little so
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    @Druminator said:
    " It will be COD5 when the box says so. "
    Bam! That's the answer...even though at this point it looks pretty unlikely to me that there will ever be an official CoD5. It looks like from this point forward we might end up with Modern Warfare 3, 4, etc. and World at War 2, 3, etc.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By Scooper
    @waketowakekid said:

" @Scooper said:

" Who gives a shit. "
    i must say for reading this. it must have interested you a little so "
    But seriously. Who cares if it's COD5. It says WAW on the package so it's called WAW. I can bet when MW2 comes out people will say "Hey isn't Mordern Warefare 2 the shit!?". Because that's what it says on the package, even though it technically should be called Call of Duty 4: Modern Warefare 2.
    waketowakekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By waketowakekid

I totally agree. Some people are stupid and they annoy me

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By Gunner

CoD: UO and Big red One was developed by gray matter, which later merged with treyarch. 

Treyarchs first CoD game was 3, which was a console exclusive, so i didnt really play it.

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By calidan777

As stated before,the box says Call of Duty:World at War so that's what it's called.I own 6 Call of Duty games right now,so it can't be CoD5 (Finest Hour,Big Red One,CoD2,CoD3,CoD4:Modern Warfare,CoD:World at War).Plus,if you ask Infinity Ward , Modern Warfare was CoD3 (ever notice the little "IW3" at the title screen).So with so many opinions on it you have to go with what's on the box (which is what you should do anyway).

Avatar image for outofbounds9000
    OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

Its COD World at war.End of thread.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Cod WAW is not COD5, but I know one thing is for sure, I don't give two shits what people think it is, the last Cod game I enjoyed was Cod 2.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By iam3green

yes, i hate when people call it cod5. it doesn't say 5 on it, and there have been like 12 different cod games all together. i call it cod: waw or call of duty : waw.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.