Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 04, 2010

Take control of various protagonists from the series's history in this downloadable 2D platformer featuring both online co-operative mulitplayer (for up to six players at a time) and extremely large levels.

This anyone else's favorite summer of arcade game so far?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I've had a blast playing this with friends online so far. Seems like a lot of people are hating on it, and I was skeptical at first too. I was hoping for one massive story-mode driven castle. But honestly once I started playing with friends I could care less. Even if you just have one other friend with the game. I'd highly recommend it. Only downfall is that 6 levels isn't too many, but they are pretty difficult, and have harder difficulties to unlock as well. Hopefully DLC isn't too expensive.

And yeah, I've bought both Limbo and Hydro Thunder as well. Both great games as well, but ultimately I just keep coming back to Castlevania. It's just addicting leveling everything up.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Oh hell yeah.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By buzz_killington

No. If I was a betting man, I would put my money on Limbo.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Well that's refreshing seeing someone talk some good about this game. I'm still on the fence for this one. I do like castlevania, but the addition of MP just seems a little weird. If it's as fun as you say it is, I might have to give the demo a try.

Avatar image for princess_isabela
    Princess_Isabela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Princess_Isabela

Absolutely, Game of the Summer of Arcade ^^

kevinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By kevinski

This isn't just my favorite Summer of Arcade game; it's actually one of my favorite games released this year. While LIMBO was certainly a great game, it doesn't have nearly as much replay value as HD. I'm looking forward to the new Lara Croft game, as well, but I honestly have no idea if I'll purchase it immediately upon its release. I can seriously see myself playing HD past that point.

callumbay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By callumbay

I haven't bought it yet but it would have to be really good for me to like it more than Limbo.

kevinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kevinski
    @iizcallum said:
    " I haven't bought it yet but it would have to be really good for me to like it more than Limbo. "
    LIMBO's a great game, but it's sorely lacking in replay value. Problem is, a lot of people seem to be understating just how much there is to do in Harmony of Despair. It's a very deep game. Sure, it only has six levels at the moment, but there's so much to do within the game that it doesn't matter. What makes Harmony of Despair so enjoyable for me is the experiences with other people, namely the surprises. With LIMBO, the experience doesn't change much from playthrough to playthrough.
    Scyllz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Scyllz

Unfortunately short of funds at the moment, otherwise I would've picked this up. My question now is when I get paid do I pick both this and MNC or just wait until C:HD goes on sale? Cause I am DEFINITELY getting MNC.

liquid3600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By liquid3600

This is one of my favorite XBLA games.  I've sunk about 25 hours into it since Wed.  I hope it maintains some user base down the road, cause I hope to keep coming back to it whenever the urge strikes much like I do with  Street Fighter, Marvel, Battlefield 1943 and Magic the Gathering.

dvdhaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By dvdhaus
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " Well that's refreshing seeing someone talk some good about this game. I'm still on the fence for this one. I do like castlevania, but the addition of MP just seems a little weird. If it's as fun as you say it is, I might have to give the demo a try. "
    MP has been in a lot of Castlevania games.  That's basically what the hearts refill in previous games, that let you throw the axes and holy waters from the very fist Castlevania. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I have to be honest this is my least favorite Castlevania game since the N64 ones.  The game sounds awesome on paper but there is just something about this game I just don't like.  Personally I have to say of what I have played of the games so far Hydro Thunder is my favorite of the Summer of Arcade. Though it kind of disappointing  that there is a lack of a super awesome mega game like Castle Crashers or Shadow Complex. All in all this is lame Summer of Arcade.

Linkin10362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Linkin10362

This year's Summer of Arcade isn't as good as last years. I would have to say LIMBO is so far the best for this year though, but nothing will ever beat Shadow Complex as my fav.

Atary77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Atary77

I'll go on record as to saying I'm a Fan boy when it comes to Castlevania. However I still feel a bit dissappointed about HD. Limbo has been pretty good as well as Hydro Thunder. However I still loved last year's Summer of Arcade when we got Shadow Complex. I loved that game so much!

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @dvdhaus said:
    " @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " Well that's refreshing seeing someone talk some good about this game. I'm still on the fence for this one. I do like castlevania, but the addition of MP just seems a little weird. If it's as fun as you say it is, I might have to give the demo a try. "
    MP has been in a lot of Castlevania games.  That's basically what the hearts refill in previous games, that let you throw the axes and holy waters from the very fist Castlevania.  "
    Lol, I know dude. I meant multiplayer.
    thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By thebatmobile

I really enjoy it. Recently had a internet-LAN with a friend. Too bad Jeff doesn't share my view.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By Sooperspy

I've only played the SP trial.

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RoyCampbell

Castlevania's cool, just not my thing really. I found the 2-star review by Jeff to be extremely harsh.

Hydro Thunder has been my favorite so far, but Monday Night Combat may change that. If things do indeed work out with MNC, it may be my game of the year along with Miles Edgeworth Investigations and Hydro Thunder. I can probably see myself playing Monday Night Combat 2 years from now as I have been with Team Fortress 2 on the 360.

Yeah, extremely weird game of the year choices, eh? Those are probably the only games that have met my expectations and haven't disappointed me at all.

Anyway, keep havin' fun with Castlevania. This "Summer of Arcade" event every year never seems to disappoint, although this year's may be the best of all.

Oh and DAMN THE TORPEDOES!!

JessicaBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19  Edited By JessicaBoo

Limbo and Castlevania are for me so far. Limbo i play constantly to get the achievement not to die, and even tho i know all the puzzles, i still die more than five times! 6 times my best!!! :D woo so getting there.. Doesnt get boring. Castlevania... (CHECK MY REVIEW OF THE GAME) i like, just the menus suck! But defo something to be played with friends and is 100% recommendable! :D
    Noted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Noted

It was the only game this summer of arcade that interested me. It's not exactly what I wanted from a new Castlevania game, but my god it's fun to play. Solo, co-op, whatever.

I just did Dracula on hard solo, and I OMGWTFBBQ'd so hard when he died. Had like 13 HP left in his third from after he used the giant ball of almost instakill attack right after he transformed. Suffice to say my hads were shaking when he finally died.

That was the best gaming experience I've had in a very long while. Mind you, I'm usually the guy who plays on easy in games. Uses the Crissaegrim in SOTN etc. And although I did use Shanoa's double wind weapon pwnage, I still feel like it was somewhat of an achievement. :P

Think I'm gonna try Charlotte next...

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By StarFoxA

Yeah, I'm surprised how much hate this game is getting. It's a ton of fun.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Andorski

Limbo is the only one I bought.  I've never been a fan of the Castlevania games and the love for Hydro Thunder still baffles me (those units were always empty when I went to the arcade).

MNC looks awesome though, and I'm optimistic with Lara Croft.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TwoLines

Yes, it is.
    Which is weird, because I thought highly of LIMBO.

I think It has something to do with my love for 2D Castlevania.

T00MuchSteeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24  Edited By T00MuchSteeze

Limbo is the only i have played so far. Loved it. I also got Deathspank but  I don't think it was part of the Summer of Arcade package. Probably going to pick up Lara Croft later though. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RoyCampbell said:
    " Castlevania's cool, just not my thing really. I found the 2-star review by Jeff to be extremely harsh."
    Yeah, for some games it seems like Jeff already has his mind made up before he gives them a shot. I know he's not really a fan of Super Metroid either, so....yeah.

All I'm saying is the demo for this game kinda sucks. Don't let a bad demo and a poor review turn you away. The full game is a blast with friends with tons of replay value. Whereas I personally feel better if Limbo and Hydro were $10, I'm fine paying $15 for HD.
    Avatar image for princess_isabela
    Princess_Isabela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Princess_Isabela

Jeff is mad, don't go by some of his scores. 
    For example he gave Mortal Kombat DC 5/5 and he gave Soul Calibur IV 3/5.
    GB crew is entertaining but some of their scores are terrible.

NemesisTheory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NemesisTheory

I have to say yes, and I doubt it'll be topped.
    ...I haven't been this addicted to a game in a long time. ;_;

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#28  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    @TripMasterMunky said:
    " @RoyCampbell said:
    " Castlevania's cool, just not my thing really. I found the 2-star review by Jeff to be extremely harsh."
    Yeah, for some games it seems like Jeff already has his mind made up before he gives them a shot. I know he's not really a fan of Super Metroid either, so....yeah.  All I'm saying is the demo for this game kinda sucks. Don't let a bad demo and a poor review turn you away. The full game is a blast with friends with tons of replay value. Whereas I personally feel better if Limbo and Hydro were $10, I'm fine paying $15 for HD. "
    You should also compound that with the fact that he didn't even finish it.
    8kirby078

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By 8kirby078

This or Limbo, can't really decide just yet.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sleepy_Insomniac said:
    " @TripMasterMunky said:
    " @RoyCampbell said:
    Yeah, for some games it seems like Jeff already has his mind made up before he gives them a shot. I know he's not really a fan of Super Metroid either, so....yeah.  All I'm saying is the demo for this game kinda sucks. Don't let a bad demo and a poor review turn you away. The full game is a blast with friends with tons of replay value. Whereas I personally feel better if Limbo and Hydro were $10, I'm fine paying $15 for HD. "
    You should also compound that with the fact that he didn't even finish it. "
    Lol. Yeah I'm not someone who is super strict about a reviewer finishing a game before they score it, but it is kinda funny when it happens.

All I'm saying is that so far this is the only summer of arcade title that I feel was worth the full $15, and Jeff's 2 star review was a little harsh. He mentioned music as the only thing he liked about it lol. The way it was written just seems pretty rushed, but whatever - once Jeff hates something, there's no changing his mind about it. I would just prefer if he didn't hate everything he doesn't like.
    TheBlackPigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By TheBlackPigeon

Right now it's a tie between this and Hydro Thunder. LIMBO is cool, in that artsy fartsy way, but that's all it really has to offer.  

I knew Hydro Thunder would be the real deal, but this is certainly one of my big 2010 surprises, especially when playing with friends. It's like a mish mash of Cadash, Diablo, and Castlevania, and for me it works.
    carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32  Edited By carlthenimrod

I love this game, put 32 hours into it. But I understand some of the harsh reviews it has got because of the poor lobby system, menus, and instructions on how to play the game.

But oh man, the music!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.