Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 04, 2010

Take control of various protagonists from the series's history in this downloadable 2D platformer featuring both online co-operative mulitplayer (for up to six players at a time) and extremely large levels.

What should Castlevania: Harmony of Despair's patch(es) include?

kevinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Edited By kevinski

As much as I love Castlevania: Harmony of Despair, there's so much that I'd change about it in a patch. I wouldn't change the base game play a whole lot, as I like its new approach to the Castlevania-style game play that I already know and love. It's excellent for playing for short periods of time, yet you can also find yourself getting lost in it for hours on end. While I'd certainly adjust the balance on the characters, I can't go too far into detail with that right now, as I don't feel that I've experienced enough of the game's later offerings to know just how broken some (as opposed to all) characters eventually become. 

First off, I'd add a sixth playable character at no cost. Really, I'm fine with paid DLC for a game like this, but releasing a six-player game with only five playable characters (even though most people play as Alucard or Soma, anyway) was a really dumb move. Based on my own personal preference, I'd make Maria Renard the sixth character, since she'd potentially play far differently from the existing characters as any other candidate. I'd base her play style in HD on how she played in the Saturn version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, albeit with some tweaks to make her a tad more faithful to her Rondo counterpart. 

Next, I'd tweak the team creation options, allowing the person starting the team to choose whether or not to allow duplicate characters on a team, as well as to enable a shuffle mode that would randomly assign each of the six players to a different character at the start of each level. Furthermore, upon creating a team, there'd be a means of adding a team title, as well as a description, each of which could be used to specify whether the team's primary objective is leveling, looting, etc. 

I'd also give players far more freedom in configuring their controls, namely by allowing them to use bumpers or triggers as modifier keys for spell-casting. Also, players could customize their controls to mimic past Castlevania games. For example, rather than pressing RT to open a chest, you could press Up on the d-pad. 

I'm sure that I'll come up with other ideas as I play the game more, but - in the meantime - I'm curious: What would you change if you could patch HD?

kevinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By kevinski

As much as I love Castlevania: Harmony of Despair, there's so much that I'd change about it in a patch. I wouldn't change the base game play a whole lot, as I like its new approach to the Castlevania-style game play that I already know and love. It's excellent for playing for short periods of time, yet you can also find yourself getting lost in it for hours on end. While I'd certainly adjust the balance on the characters, I can't go too far into detail with that right now, as I don't feel that I've experienced enough of the game's later offerings to know just how broken some (as opposed to all) characters eventually become. 

First off, I'd add a sixth playable character at no cost. Really, I'm fine with paid DLC for a game like this, but releasing a six-player game with only five playable characters (even though most people play as Alucard or Soma, anyway) was a really dumb move. Based on my own personal preference, I'd make Maria Renard the sixth character, since she'd potentially play far differently from the existing characters as any other candidate. I'd base her play style in HD on how she played in the Saturn version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, albeit with some tweaks to make her a tad more faithful to her Rondo counterpart. 

Next, I'd tweak the team creation options, allowing the person starting the team to choose whether or not to allow duplicate characters on a team, as well as to enable a shuffle mode that would randomly assign each of the six players to a different character at the start of each level. Furthermore, upon creating a team, there'd be a means of adding a team title, as well as a description, each of which could be used to specify whether the team's primary objective is leveling, looting, etc. 

I'd also give players far more freedom in configuring their controls, namely by allowing them to use bumpers or triggers as modifier keys for spell-casting. Also, players could customize their controls to mimic past Castlevania games. For example, rather than pressing RT to open a chest, you could press Up on the d-pad. 

I'm sure that I'll come up with other ideas as I play the game more, but - in the meantime - I'm curious: What would you change if you could patch HD?

dvdhaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By dvdhaus

Adding in the ability to select the Level and difficulty for a multiplayer games while waiting for the room to fill would be helpful.  Also sometimes while looking for a quick match the game glitches and does not allow you to back out by pressing B and doesn't pop up with the "Unable to join team" message.

And I agree with you that the DLC should be fairly cheap if it's "sold" separately.  I would say 80 to 160 MS points per Character or level. 

Also maybe a patch so when opening a chest you don't just get armor and weapons for the character your playing, but maybe mix in stuff for the other characters weapons wise.  I would love to play other characters online, but am still trying to get Shanoa's 2 weapon upgrades so almost all of the times I play online I play as her, hoping that those weapons drop.  Really can't find any clues for easier ways to get that stuff.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Lunar_Aura

upgraded graphics. Looks atrocious on a 20" lcd and it must be agonizing on larger, crisper screens.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JJOR64

The game needs more levels.  6 levels is not enough.

kevinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kevinski
    @dvdhaus said:
    " Adding in the ability to select the Level and difficulty for a multiplayer games while waiting for the room to fill would be helpful.  Also sometimes while looking for a quick match the game glitches and does not allow you to back out by pressing B and doesn't pop up with the "Unable to join team" message. 

And I agree with you that the DLC should be fairly cheap if it's "sold" separately.  I would say 80 to 160 MS points per Character or level. 

Also maybe a patch so when opening a chest you don't just get armor and weapons for the character your playing, but maybe mix in stuff for the other characters weapons wise.  I would love to play other characters online, but am still trying to get Shanoa's 2 weapon upgrades so almost all of the times I play online I play as her, hoping that those weapons drop.  Really can't find any clues for easier ways to get that stuff. "
    You know, I've gotta say that the current team creator setup is a bit confusing and - as you mentioned - limiting. The person creating the team should definitely be able to change settings whenever he/she is waiting for the team to fill. Furthermore, if there are less than six players still on the team whenever a match ends, then other people should be able to join without the team being disbanded. 

And yeah, 80-160 MSP sounds fair. I was thinking 80 MSP for a character and 160 MSP for a level. 

Also, while I like the idea of other characters' drops being available no matter who you're playing as, I don't think that it'd be fair or sensible in some cases. Still, for items (as opposed to abilities), yeah, I'd like to see that happen.

@LunarAura said:
    " upgraded graphics. Looks atrocious on a 20" lcd and it must be agonizing on larger, crisper screens. "
    I'm playing on a 37" LCD, and it looks fine to me. Sure, it's pixelated, but I'm no strange to pixelated graphics. Furthermore, I doubt that this game would work as well with high-definition sprites, simply because I doubt that current-gen consoles would have the memory for it. Seriously, the reason that this game runs as well as it does is because of the horrible sprites. Given how much slowdown can accompany killing a Treant, I wouldn't want to see high-definition sprites in this game. Let's save that for the next SotN-style game that doesn't feature the crazy zoom feature. :P

@JJOR64 said:
    " The game needs more levels.  6 levels is not enough. "
    I agree, although it'd be perfectly acceptable for them to be paid DLC.
    kevinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kevinski

Ah, I forgot this in my original post, but I think that it'd be awesome if there was a color editor for each character. I'm appalled at how horrible some of the color schemes look on certain characters. Soma looks like he could've been in a GameBoy (not Advance, the original) game. And it looks like they just threw in random colors for poor Alucard.

thomasriis1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By thomasriis1987
    @kevinski said: 

Soma looks like he could've been in a GameBoy (not Advance, the original) game. And it looks like they just threw in random colors for poor Alucard."  

Sorry for being a dick :) - You mean the GameBoy color, Right? ;)
    IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By IBurningStar

Randomly generated maps.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By landon

A better game. ZING!

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Three0neFive
    @kevinski said:
    "Furthermore, I doubt that this game would work as well with high-definition sprites, simply because I doubt that current-gen consoles would have the memory for it. Seriously, the reason that this game runs as well as it does is because of the horrible sprites. Given how much slowdown can accompany killing a Treant, I wouldn't want to see high-definition sprites in this game."

... I honestly can't tell if you're serious.
    kevinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kevinski
    @thomasriis1987 said:
    " Sorry for being a dick :) - You mean the GameBoy color, Right? ;) "
    Hahahaha...good point. I was referring to how they look like they're all comprised of different shades of the same color, though. To be honest, Soma's sprite just doesn't look all that great, even in comparison to the other characters' sprites. It doesn't look as though it's proportioned properly.

@IBurningStar said:
    " Randomly generated maps. "
    Ah, good one. Also, how about a level editor? *drools*

@Landon said:
    " A better game. ZING! "
    Hahahaha...nice one. XD

@Three0neFive said:
    " ... I honestly can't tell if you're serious. "
    I'm completely serious. Consider the load times and the minor performance issues with the graphics in their current state. Imagine that with assets that'd likely consume at least ten or twenty times the amount of memory. Not good. I honestly wouldn't mind another game in the style of SotN for consoles, complete with high-resolution sprites. Thing is, I wouldn't expect that zoom feature to be included in a current-gen console game of that caliber.
    Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Three0neFive
    @kevinski said:
    "@Three0neFive said:
    " ... I honestly can't tell if you're serious. "
    I'm completely serious. Consider the load times and the minor performance issues with the graphics in their current state. Imagine that with assets that'd likely consume at least ten or twenty times the amount of memory. Not good. I honestly wouldn't mind another game in the style of SotN for consoles, complete with high-resolution sprites. Thing is, I wouldn't expect that zoom feature to be included in a current-gen console game of that caliber. "
    I haven't actually played it, but if the slowdown is as bad as you say it is, it's because the game is incredibly poorly coded, not because the 360 can't handle it. I know full well how outdated the 360's hardware is, but  you're really underestimating the thing.
    kevinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kevinski
    @Three0neFive said:
    " I haven't actually played it, but if the slowdown is as bad as you say it is, it's because the game is incredibly poorly coded, not because the 360 can't handle it. I know full well how outdated the 360's hardware is, but  you're really underestimating the thing. "
    The slowdown isn't horrible, but it's definitely noticeable in certain situations. And I'm not underestimating the Xbox 360. People are expecting something that looks like BlazBlue to be doable with this much stuff going on, and I don't see it being possible. It's not a matter of optimization; it's a matter of practicality. Again, the main problem here is how much of the level is loaded at any given time (i.e. the entire thing), as well as the zoom feature (as there's a LOT of stuff that needs to be shown at any given time).
    Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#14  Edited By Mystyr_E

-more frequent rare item drops, it can be BS going through chapter 5 and 6 over 20 or more times and you keep getting stupid robes I just 9 of
    -update the store, what's the use in all that money if my gear's better than the entire store
    -more glyphs for Shanoa. Charlotte's got 22 spells, Soma's got lots of souls to use. Shanoa? 3 weapons and 4 glyphs when in Ecclesia she had bows, hammers, swords, axes and the works.

XylonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By XylonWarrior

"  releasing a six-player game with only five playable characters ...was a really dumb move" 

Why does this matter? It's not an arcade game where everyone is forced to choose a different character. Theres ALWAYS at least 2 people playing the same character in EVERY game anyway. This is just another hollow reason people find to pick on this game. 

XylonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By XylonWarrior
    @LunarAura said:

" upgraded graphics. Looks atrocious on a 20" lcd and it must be agonizing on larger, crisper screens. "

Oh yeah. All new graphics. In a patch. That's realistic! Keep usin the old noggin ;) 
    And again, why are you playing a retro themed game if you're gonna whine about 16 bit graphics? Because you're another fanboy intent on picking this game apart no matter what? Yes, that's why. 

I play it in 1080p (without a stick up my ass) and I think it looks fine for what it is. 
    Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lunar_Aura

@XylonWarrior said:
    "@LunarAura said:

Oh yeah. All new graphics. In a patch. That's realistic! Keep usin the old noggin ;) And again, why are you playing a retro themed game if you're gonna whine about 16 bit graphics? Because you're another fanboy intent on picking this game apart no matter what? Yes, that's why.   I play it in 1080p (without a stick up my ass) and I think it looks fine for what it is. Maybe you should go back to playing whatever big budget flashy graphics mainstream crap I'm sure was making you happy before?

Yo dawg I hope you don't mind me bringing back what you edited out.  I don't even remember making that comment it's so old and how is it so wrong for wanting Castlevania HD on an Xbox 360 to look better than an upscaled Gameboy Advance game. Coincidentally, I also played Castlevania HD in 1080p (without a stick up my ass) and I think it looks fine for what it is. Nowhere in my post was I "whining" or "picking this game apart no matter what".  

The fact that you edited parts of your embarrassing post must mean that you thought those parts of it were irrelevant. You would have proven to be more sensible if you just deleted the entire thing. I'm admittedly touched that of the 2 posts you've made here, it's one of my rare non-troll posts that got such a rise from you.

Maybe you should go back to replying to the derivative GameFAQ's masses because I, unlike yourself, have above par reading comprehension.  

Welcome to Giant Bomb.
    Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Because this guy actually deserves a full-assed response... 

@kevinski
    said:

"
    @LunarAura said:
    I'm playing on a 37" LCD, and it looks fine to me. Sure, it's pixelated, but I'm no strange to pixelated graphics. Furthermore, I doubt that this game would work as well with high-definition sprites, simply because I doubt that current-gen consoles would have the memory for it. Seriously, the reason that this game runs as well as it does is because of the horrible sprites. Given how much slowdown can accompany killing a Treant, I wouldn't want to see high-definition sprites in this game. Let's save that for the next SotN-style game that doesn't feature the crazy zoom feature. :P
     "

That's a valid point. Come to think of it, the graphics are a good tradeoff for the "crazy zoom feature". Maybe if Castlevania HD was deemed a success, that zoom feature could be implemented in a way where the low-res models is zoomed out and as it zooms in, the high res sprites come into play. The graphics only stick out like a sore thumb because the gameplay is pretty tight and playing it on an Xbox 360 and that Castlevania isn't exactly an indie title, I expected better graphics.
    kevinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kevinski
    @LunarAura said:
    " That's a valid point. Come to think of it, the graphics are a good tradeoff for the "crazy zoom feature". Maybe if Castlevania HD was deemed a success, that zoom feature could be implemented in a way where the low-res models is zoomed out and as it zooms in, the high res sprites come into play. The graphics only stick out like a sore thumb because the gameplay is pretty tight and playing it on an Xbox 360 and that Castlevania isn't exactly an indie title, I expected better graphics. "
    Amusingly, there's another game on XBLA that uses this zoom feature, and I'm pretty sure that it was released just a little while before HD was released. It's called Platformance: Castle Pain, and it actually uses the zoom feature a tad more effectively (as its purpose centers more so around platforming), in my opinion. And I do feel that using different level-of-detail settings for sprites could work with the zoom feature, especially since the console need only keep in memory the hi-res sprites that're immediately around the player. Still, I don't see this game getting a sequel, as it makes more sense to just pile on new DLC. I really do hope that the next downloadable Castlevania game is a single-player experience...or is at least focused on a story mode with heavy exploration elements.
    SpenceKratos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By SpenceKratos

I think "most" of your points are valid, the graphics are what they are. agreed on the point about shanoa (weapon/spell wise), but i wish that they had a few other game modes, the level editor was an interesting point, make it like super smash bros for the wii where the best one gets set up online and everyone can download it. Maybe even a boss run mode as well.
    other than that i think its a pretty good game, but then again i like grinding for hours XD

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.