The amount of variation is unparalelled

Avatar image for jost1
#1 Posted by Jost1 (2226 posts) -

I've never seen a game with more diverse locations and enemies outside of a huge RPG. It puts God of War to shame in that respect, and I LOVE all the little diversions, puzzles, and devious traps. Some incredible game design going on in this game! I just got to the Butcher and I've been playing for hours, non stop.
 
A fantastic action game that admittedly has a slow start but once it gets going, holy SHIT. 
 
Not to mention, it also stays pretty true to Castlevania, all things considered. It's basically a 3D evolution of Super Castlevania IV, with modern combat. But the map screen totally reminds of that. Love this game to bits.

Avatar image for jkz
#2 Posted by jkz (4181 posts) -

It does do a really good job in that regard. I'm on Chapter 9, and I'm starting to agree with some reviewers about the fact that there's a couple sections that could have really done with some cutting, but overall I've loved it.

Avatar image for jost1
#3 Posted by Jost1 (2226 posts) -

I was like "oh right, i guess i'll be fighting these lycans for the rest of the game." 
 
Much to my surprise, every chapter has had new enemies. All of them have been fun to fight.  LOVE it.  Not only is this a great Castlevania game, I'm enjoying it more than other "leading brands" of action games

Avatar image for jakob187
#4 Posted by jakob187 (22938 posts) -

I'm guessing you haven't played Bayonetta... 
 
...just like I haven't played Castlevania: Lord of Shadows.

Avatar image for jost1
#5 Posted by Jost1 (2226 posts) -
@jakob187 said:
" I'm guessing you haven't played Bayonetta...  ...just like I haven't played Castlevania: Lord of Shadows. "
I've played both.  I probably like both of them equally. They're both amazing in their own ways.
Avatar image for afroman269
#6 Posted by Afroman269 (7440 posts) -

I'll make sure to rent this.

Avatar image for jakob187
#7 Edited by jakob187 (22938 posts) -
@josty81 said:

" @jakob187 said:

" I'm guessing you haven't played Bayonetta...  ...just like I haven't played Castlevania: Lord of Shadows. "
I've played both.  I probably like both of them equally. They're both amazing in their own ways. "
Crap, I forgot to quote on my original comment.  I was pointing out Bayonetta in terms of general variety, as that game is incredibly varied. 
 
Nonetheless, seeing a lot of the positive things on GB, it gives me the itch to play this game.  I still remain skeptical about anything 3D in the Castlevania universe...and that is expounded by the fact that Kojima was somehow involved. 
 
Add to that the fact that the game has a TOOOOOON of "secret achievements", and it seems like something that will drive me FUCKING MAD!
Avatar image for wolf_blitzer85
#8 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5442 posts) -

Dude I'm right there with you. I was starting to lose steam 2 chapters in, but once I hit the third, it seems like the game is really starting to pick up. Then I played it for another five hours last night and I am totally in love with this game.
 
I would really hope that they could do another quicklook of this with Alex a little more upgraded as there is a lot more to this game that definitely deserves some attention.
 
@jukezypoo:


Avatar image for jazz
#9 Posted by Jazz (2351 posts) -
@jakob187 said:
" @josty81 said:

" @jakob187 said:

" I'm guessing you haven't played Bayonetta...  ...just like I haven't played Castlevania: Lord of Shadows. "
I've played both.  I probably like both of them equally. They're both amazing in their own ways. "
Crap, I forgot to quote on my original comment.  I was pointing out Bayonetta in terms of general variety, as that game is incredibly varied.  Nonetheless, seeing a lot of the positive things on GB, it gives me the itch to play this game.  I still remain skeptical about anything 3D in the Castlevania universe...and that is expounded by the fact that Kojima was somehow involved.  Add to that the fact that the game has a TOOOOOON of "secret achievements", and it seems like something that will drive me FUCKING MAD! "
Kojima really had very little to do with it..just a name they could put out there to drum up PR (talk about backfiring) 
It's actually a small Spanish developer that made the game what it is.. right next to me actually. Apart from Jericho they also made Scrapland.
but yeah..I'm not expecting it to be as good as Bayonetta.
Avatar image for jost1
#10 Posted by Jost1 (2226 posts) -
@jakob187 said:
" @josty81 said:

" @jakob187 said:

" I'm guessing you haven't played Bayonetta...  ...just like I haven't played Castlevania: Lord of Shadows. "
I've played both.  I probably like both of them equally. They're both amazing in their own ways. "
Crap, I forgot to quote on my original comment.  I was pointing out Bayonetta in terms of general variety, as that game is incredibly varied.  Nonetheless, seeing a lot of the positive things on GB, it gives me the itch to play this game.  I still remain skeptical about anything 3D in the Castlevania universe...and that is expounded by the fact that Kojima was somehow involved.  Add to that the fact that the game has a TOOOOOON of "secret achievements", and it seems like something that will drive me FUCKING MAD! "
I'd say Castlevania is more varied than Bayonetta. But Bayonetta's enemies were generally harder to defeat, and probably a bit smarter.  
Avatar image for jost1
#11 Posted by Jost1 (2226 posts) -
@wolf_blitzer85 said:
" Dude I'm right there with you. I was starting to lose steam 2 chapters in, but once I hit the third, it seems like the game is really starting to pick up. Then I played it for another five hours last night and I am totally in love with this game.
 
I would really hope that they could do another quicklook of this with Alex a little more upgraded as there is a lot more to this game that definitely deserves some attention.
 
@jukezypoo:
"
not yet but I've only gotten to the part with the curtains and the vampires. Fucking awesome part, by the way.
Avatar image for luce
#12 Posted by luce (4056 posts) -
Avatar image for make_me_mad
#13 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3227 posts) -
@josty81:
The one thing that really makes me worried about the game, having heard a lot about linear stages and small, closed-in environments;  Do you get the feeling that you're actually exploring over the course of the game, or is it more like a rush to the finish line?  My favorite part of Castlevania (mainly Order of Ecclesia) was just exploring a big, messed up environment with all kinds of crazy things going on around you while you found your way through.
Avatar image for jost1
#14 Edited by Jost1 (2226 posts) -
@Make_Me_Mad said:

" @josty81:
The one thing that really makes me worried about the game, having heard a lot about linear stages and small, closed-in environments;  Do you get the feeling that you're actually exploring over the course of the game, or is it more like a rush to the finish line?  My favorite part of Castlevania (mainly Order of Ecclesia) was just exploring a big, messed up environment with all kinds of crazy things going on around you while you found your way through. "

The exploration comes in the form of branching paths. The levels are very inventive and fun to play through but they are basically linear, but with branching paths like I mentioned.  
 
This is more of a homage to CLASSIC Castlevania than it is to "Metroidvania" Castlevania. 
 
I never thought "this environment feels too small" though, there's plenty of fightin' space.
Avatar image for jost1
#15 Posted by Jost1 (2226 posts) -
@luce:  Dear GOD i can't wait to get those
Avatar image for thatfrood
#16 Posted by ThatFrood (3471 posts) -
@luce said:
" @wolf_blitzer85: 
 
"
Oh thank GOD. When he asked that question my blood went cold for a few seconds. I'll consider picking this up, then.
Avatar image for drpockets000
#17 Posted by DrPockets000 (2877 posts) -

I need to play this.  I keep hearing better stuff on it.

Avatar image for jost1
#18 Posted by Jost1 (2226 posts) -

It feels awesome to be playing what is basically a re-invention of the classic Castlevania experience.  (i.e. pre-Metroidvania)

Avatar image for wolf_blitzer85
#19 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5442 posts) -
@luce said:
" @wolf_blitzer85: 
 
"
Oh fuck yes! The combat in the game just keeps getting better and better. I really dig how different enemies can call for different tactics and just hacking your way through the game ala God of War gets your ass killed quick.
Avatar image for jost1
#20 Posted by Jost1 (2226 posts) -
@wolf_blitzer85 said:
" @luce said:
" @wolf_blitzer85: 
 
"
Oh fuck yes! The combat in the game just keeps getting better and better. I really dig how different enemies can call for different tactics and just hacking your way through the game ala God of War gets your ass killed quick. "
Holy water on vampires = ownage.  
Avatar image for make_me_mad
#21 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3227 posts) -
@josty81:
Ah, okay.  A little disappointed, but hey, I grew up playing the NES Castlevania and beating Death's ass 8-bit sidescroller style.  I can put up with another linear Castlevania game if you get to smack around a decent variety of enemies.
Avatar image for jost1
#22 Posted by Jost1 (2226 posts) -
@Make_Me_Mad said:
" @josty81:Ah, okay.  A little disappointed, but hey, I grew up playing the NES Castlevania and beating Death's ass 8-bit sidescroller style.  I can put up with another linear Castlevania game if you get to smack around a decent variety of enemies. "
Like I said, the variation on enemies and environments is second to none. Not a palette swap in sight.
Avatar image for wolf_blitzer85
#23 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5442 posts) -
@josty81 said:

" @wolf_blitzer85 said:

" @luce said:
" @wolf_blitzer85: 
 
"
Oh fuck yes! The combat in the game just keeps getting better and better. I really dig how different enemies can call for different tactics and just hacking your way through the game ala God of War gets your ass killed quick. "
Holy water on vampires = ownage.   "
Did you try using holy water with light magic activated? Well buy the combo first, but holy shit has it gotten me out of tough spots. Vampire's got nothing on that combo.
Avatar image for jost1
#24 Posted by Jost1 (2226 posts) -

No, I haven't bought that combo yet. Will do.

Avatar image for ahmadmetallic
#25 Posted by AhmadMetallic (19301 posts) -

sounds good

Avatar image for jokerfrown
#26 Posted by JokerFrown (321 posts) -

I'm almost done with the game and let me just say this.  Music Box SUCKS!!!  The only down side to this otherwise amazing game.  Three chapters left for me and Im done!

Avatar image for yummylee
#27 Posted by Yummylee (24646 posts) -

I had a similar surprise with Castle Crashers. That game just keeps goin'! And each new level bringing with it new environment, enemies, weapons and pets....Lav it.

Avatar image for jkz
#28 Posted by jkz (4181 posts) -
@wolf_blitzer85:  
 
Can't tell if someone directly answered your question but: 
 
Avatar image for nalktest
#29 Posted by Nalktest (21 posts) -

Without starting a new thread, how's the music in this game? Is it Castlevania-y or just the God of War latin chanting crap?

Avatar image for jost1
#30 Posted by Jost1 (2226 posts) -
@Nalktest said:
" Without starting a new thread, how's the music in this game? Is it Castlevania-y or just the God of War latin chanting crap? "
It's very good, more melodic than God of War.  Fully orchestral, solid stuff.  Not as catchy as old school 'vania though.  But that would be out of place here.
Avatar image for heatdrive88
#31 Edited by heatDrive88 (2962 posts) -
@josty81:  The only reason it's not as 'catchy' is because it doesn't inundate you with all those insane guitar riffs every second. While I do enjoy it, it's a bit middling in terms of the type of game this is supposed to be and doesn't fit the part well. That might sit well on the extreme Japanese influences of SOTN and it's rehashes, but Lords of Shadow is very much more westernized of a game in comparison, and the orchestration fits it far better.
Avatar image for xshinobi
#32 Posted by Xshinobi (566 posts) -

The chupacabras really should have been cut from the game.

Avatar image for jost1
#33 Posted by Jost1 (2226 posts) -
@Xshinobi said:
" The chupacabras really should have been cut from the game. "
I probably spent 30 minutes total struggling with them so it's no biggie
Avatar image for oldirtybearon
#34 Posted by Oldirtybearon (5626 posts) -
@Xshinobi: the Chupacabras are awesome. They're the only part of the game that gives it any sort of levity. If it weren't for the Chupacabras, then LoS would just be a very severe, grim experience.
Avatar image for jost1
#35 Posted by Jost1 (2226 posts) -

I think my favourite moment is fighting the vampires in the hallway with the windows, as the sun is setting. That was INTENSE.

Avatar image for bbqbram
#36 Edited by BBQBram (2483 posts) -

Dudes, you've just convinced me to pick this up. Sounds like it's not as technical as a Ninja Gaiden or DMC, but the art style and atmosphere had me at the quick look. Am I right in thinking this game is a bit more laid-back than those more tactile games? I'm not looking for a dumb brawler or anything, but the middle-ground would be nice.
 
Edit: Oh and also, Shadow of the Colossus boss fights is pretty cool. Are they all like that one in the quick look?

Avatar image for seiken_enhasa
#37 Posted by Seiken_Enhasa (105 posts) -

There are only 3 of those titan bosses in the whole game.
 
I didn't like the first two very much, but the third one is pretty cool.

Avatar image for bbqbram
#38 Posted by BBQBram (2483 posts) -

Well, I guess having every boss be like that would be both overkill and a bit of a cop-out. SotC already exists, after all.

Avatar image for teflonbilly
#39 Posted by TeflonBilly (4742 posts) -
@BBQBram said:
" Dudes, you've just convinced me to pick this up. Sounds like it's not as technical as a Ninja Gaiden or DMC, but the art style and atmosphere had me at the quick look. Am I right in thinking this game is a bit more laid-back than those more tactile games? I'm not looking for a dumb brawler or anything, but the middle-ground would be nice.  Edit: Oh and also, Shadow of the Colossus boss fights is pretty cool. Are they all like that one in the quick look? "
I found it to hit a sweet spot between the game play of DMC/Bayonetta and God Of War. 
Very accessible and with constant upgrades (That you actually USE) yet not mashy. Also the AI aren't complete dumbasses
Avatar image for super_machine
#40 Edited by super_machine (2007 posts) -

So far so good, but it doesn't stay very true to the castlevania mold. First of all, there should never be any torches in a castlevania level that you cannot smash and get items from. Second, the music does not fit the tone of the series. While the score is grand and epic, it does not feel like the composer ever played a single castlevaia game. It is such a shame, because the music is one of the lasting legacies of the past titles.

Avatar image for sukru
#41 Posted by sukru (34 posts) -
@JokerFrown said:
"I'm almost done with the game and let me just say this.  Music Box SUCKS!!!  The only down side to this otherwise amazing game.  Three chapters left for me and Im done!

                   

                "


It does not suck, but definately too big of a change from the regular pacing of the game. Normally I'm not good at platforming, and it cost me a lot of time to go through the box.
Avatar image for sins_of_mosin
#42 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1713 posts) -
@wolf_blitzer85 said:
" @luce said:
" @wolf_blitzer85: 
 
You get kickass Angel Wings that let you double jump later on. You can also use them for awesome combo chains
"
Oh fuck yes! The combat in the game just keeps getting better and better. I really dig how different enemies can call for different tactics and just hacking your way through the game ala God of War gets your ass killed quick."

Uh, the combat is the same for every enemy.  Attack roll attack roll.  The only time things become different is based on how many you have to face at once.  Got four vampires then throw some holy water.  Otherwise, attack roll attack roll.
Avatar image for oneandonlybige
#43 Posted by OneAndOnlyBigE (475 posts) -
@sins_of_mosin said:
" @wolf_blitzer85 said:
" @luce said:
" @wolf_blitzer85: 
 
"
Oh fuck yes! The combat in the game just keeps getting better and better. I really dig how different enemies can call for different tactics and just hacking your way through the game ala God of War gets your ass killed quick."
Uh, the combat is the same for every enemy.  Attack roll attack roll.  The only time things become different is based on how many you have to face at once.  Got four vampires then throw some holy water.  Otherwise, attack roll attack roll. "
If that's the way you're playing it rather than using the combos you've earned is that really the game's fault?
Avatar image for sins_of_mosin
#44 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1713 posts) -
@OneAndOnlyBigE said:
" @sins_of_mosin said:
" @wolf_blitzer85 said:
" @luce said:
" @wolf_blitzer85: 
 
"
Oh fuck yes! The combat in the game just keeps getting better and better. I really dig how different enemies can call for different tactics and just hacking your way through the game ala God of War gets your ass killed quick."
Uh, the combat is the same for every enemy.  Attack roll attack roll.  The only time things become different is based on how many you have to face at once.  Got four vampires then throw some holy water.  Otherwise, attack roll attack roll. "
If that's the way you're playing it rather than using the combos you've earned is that really the game's fault? "
I unlocked all the combos except the 25k ones.  I really didn't see any advantage in using most of them.
Avatar image for master_prophet
#45 Posted by Master_Prophet (145 posts) -
@josty81:  Oh I highly agree as well.  Once you finish the game, you'll realize you've visited around almost a dozen different locations, which is really awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.