Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 05, 2010

In this reboot of the beloved Castlevania franchise, Gabriel Belmont goes on a quest to defeat the sinister Lords of Shadow, who are preventing the souls of the departed from passing on to the afterlife, in order to obtain from them a magical mask that will bring his murdered wife Marie back from the dead.

Zobek? (spoilers)

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xyzygy

So, I just beat the game, but one of the things I'm wondering is about Zobek. In the Bio it says that Zobek is a warrior in the Brotherhood of light, but we know that Zobek is actually Death in disguise. But they refer to him as Zobek, even though he just took Zobek's shell and is not actually Zobek right? 

So Zobek must have been dead, and then Death took his dead body and animated it by using that other mask (I have no idea what that mask is either) and becoming him. Or was Zobek alive all this time? Because his Bio never really states if he was dead or alive. 

Or was Death ALWAYS Zobek, hence him being alive in modern times as well?

Avatar image for dumplingdinosaur
    dumplingdinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By dumplingdinosaur

Konami definitely got bored of writing the story towards the end of the game, the story basically commits suicide. Why did Satan randomly appear? Where did the evil mask come from? and after the credits, why is zobek still there? Stupid ending.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By xyzygy
    @dumplingdinosaur: Satan was the mastermind behind the whole plot, and it gives the second game a villain, thats why they put Satan there. Also it gives a reason for Zobek and Gabriel AKA Eu sunt Dracul AKA Dracula to team up together. 

You know, how in every other Castlevania game, Death is Dracula's right hand man? Isn't that awesome? I guess you have to be a fan of the other Castlevania's to get what they were going for there though. 

But the whole thing goes along tiers. Satan and God are at the top, while the three Lords of Light and Lords of Shadow are next, then people. Zobek tricked Gabriel, but the idea what implanted in his head many many centuries ago by Satan who was waiting for Zobek and to catch him off guard. He finally does when Gabriel is saved from death, then Satan takes his chance. He just didn't think that Gabriel would stand as much of a chance as he did. 

I think the ending was brilliant and I for one didn't see it coming. I mean honestly did you know Gabriel was going to end up becoming Dracula?
    fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By fini_fly
    @xyzygy said:
    " @dumplingdinosaur: I think the ending was brilliant and I for one didn't see it coming. I mean honestly did you know Gabriel was going to end up becoming Dracula? "
    I didn't see it coming at all. One of the best twist endings I've seen in a long time.
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By luce

Death is basically a Necromancer who delved into deeply forbidden witchcraft and thus finds a way to cheat and ultimately govern death. It's interesting seeing this (previously poorly explained) character get a back story that actually kind of makes sense in that universe. In a way, Death/Zobeck shares more in common with Shaft then the Death incarnations in previous Castlevania games

In the other Castlevanias, I just thought he was some divine being like Satan and just decided to chill with Dracula for a bit.

Shami_Sansi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#6  Edited By Shami_Sansi
    @xyzygy said:
    " @dumplingdinosaur: Satan was the mastermind behind the whole plot, and it gives the second game a villain, thats why they put Satan there. Also it gives a reason for Zobek and Gabriel AKA Eu sunt Dracul AKA Dracula to team up together.  You know, how in every other Castlevania game, Death is Dracula's right hand man? Isn't that awesome? I guess you have to be a fan of the other Castlevania's to get what they were going for there though.  But the whole thing goes along tiers. Satan and God are at the top, while the three Lords of Light and Lords of Shadow are next, then people. Zobek tricked Gabriel, but the idea what implanted in his head many many centuries ago by Satan who was waiting for Zobek and to catch him off guard. He finally does when Gabriel is saved from death, then Satan takes his chance. He just didn't think that Gabriel would stand as much of a chance as he did.  I think the ending was brilliant and I for one didn't see it coming. I mean honestly did you know Gabriel was going to end up becoming Dracula? "
    I've never really got into the other Castlevania games (They were before my time) so didn't know what was going on in them. But finding out Death is Dracula's right hand has just opened my eyes to a whole new level of awesome in LoS. Thank you good sir, Thank you.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xyzygy
    @Shami_Sansi: Yeah, in pretty much every Castlevania game from Symphony of the Night and onward (can't say for the ones before, haven't played) everytime you go to fight Dracula, Death is usually the last boss before him. It's really awesome how they set that up and kind of made an explanation in Lords of Shadow.
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Bouke

As far as i could follow the story; Zobek was one of the Lords of Shadow and when he went to heaven with the other two his darkside stayed behind and became the dark lord of death.  

The Satan plot twist that followed was something that no one was expecting because you couldn't know. I still thought the scene in present day (?) was pretty cool. And it makes me wonder about a sequal. I sure hope the game does well enough to get a sequal; i loved it all the way to the end.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.