Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Chantelise

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released December 2006

A 3D action RPG for PC by doujin circle EasyGameStation. It was localized for Western audiences courtesy of DHM Interactive & Carpe Fulgur.

Chantelise: A Picturebook Journey

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

Edited By Mento  Moderator

Chantelise is the newest game from Indie localization team Carpe Fulgur, originally from EasyGameStation. Having very much enjoyed Recettear, their first release (which was made after Chantelise, confusingly), I was all set to wait it out for the holiday Steam sales to pick it up.

But then Whiskey Media user omghisam decided to gift me the game in a shocking twist of magnanimity, with one stipulation: That I biographize my experiences with the game in my inimitable Microsoft Paint style.

Any Twitter followers of the Pass the Whiskey podcast (and that should be most of you. I mean... c'mon duders) can attest to my dubious mastery of that particular graphics program. So feel free to drop your expectations a bit. No, a lot. More than that. Okay, that should be enough.

Disclaimer: I wrote each of these observations and made them comics as I played the game. Some may be a little inaccurate as I was still in the process of learning the ropes. I'll be going into more detail underneath each image, though.

No Caption Provided

So yeah. Both a character introduction and a portent of the graphical horrors to come. Because there's a female anime protagonist, that makes this game a hentai.

No Caption Provided

Spells are cast by finding crystals on the ground after damaging enemies with physical attacks, and have different effects when cast alone or combined with others. It's a system that allows a lot of improvisation, but often you're better off stacking up ones of the same color (kind of like Match-3, in fact) for stronger elemental types. Above is a quick guide of the four basic spells. Earth, it turns out, does have its uses. But it's still mostly terrible.

No Caption Provided

Magic Defense is as big a deal as regular Defense in this game, and it is worth your consideration when choosing accessories. Trust me. I speak from experience.

No Caption Provided

Chante (the fairy) casts the spells, but as the token fairy she's also required to dole out inanely obvious commentary and hints. I don't know why.

No Caption Provided

So an interesting feature of this game is that on each of the brief action stages there's a hidden chest you can find by completing a specific task. It tends to be things like hitting all the trees, reaching a distant hard-to-reach platform or defeating certain enemies first. It is some serious Tower of Druaga obfuscating shit, and the hints you get for sacrificing HP at the church rarely tell you anything. But the treasures are worth it. So do random stuff all the time? And maybe that will work.

No Caption Provided

I have no idea why the mushroom enemies look like that. It confounds me.

No Caption Provided

After I drew this I met a silhouette boss and a multi-form final boss defeated with the power of friendship (spoilers for every JRPG ever?) So clearly there was more to add to this comic. Last panel still fits though.

No Caption Provided

Why do fishing mini-games always do this to me? They give you a little fishing bestiary in the item screen to fill up! With fishes! Gaaaaaah.

No Caption Provided

And this was where I quit.

Overall, if you like Recettear, you'll like this game. It's considerably less in-depth, as an Action RPG with limited resources, but it moves at a brisk pace, has some frantically fun Ys-esque combat and there's no penalty for getting your ass killed. And believe me, it'll happen a lot, since there's no healing items beyond what enemies feel like dropping very occasionally. There's no XP either: It's one of those games like Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles where the clothes make the man (or anime) as far as stats go. So it's short but challenging, which kind of balances out. Definitely worth the ten bucks they're asking for it.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Mento  Moderator

Chantelise is the newest game from Indie localization team Carpe Fulgur, originally from EasyGameStation. Having very much enjoyed Recettear, their first release (which was made after Chantelise, confusingly), I was all set to wait it out for the holiday Steam sales to pick it up.

But then Whiskey Media user omghisam decided to gift me the game in a shocking twist of magnanimity, with one stipulation: That I biographize my experiences with the game in my inimitable Microsoft Paint style.

Any Twitter followers of the Pass the Whiskey podcast (and that should be most of you. I mean... c'mon duders) can attest to my dubious mastery of that particular graphics program. So feel free to drop your expectations a bit. No, a lot. More than that. Okay, that should be enough.

Disclaimer: I wrote each of these observations and made them comics as I played the game. Some may be a little inaccurate as I was still in the process of learning the ropes. I'll be going into more detail underneath each image, though.

No Caption Provided

So yeah. Both a character introduction and a portent of the graphical horrors to come. Because there's a female anime protagonist, that makes this game a hentai.

No Caption Provided

Spells are cast by finding crystals on the ground after damaging enemies with physical attacks, and have different effects when cast alone or combined with others. It's a system that allows a lot of improvisation, but often you're better off stacking up ones of the same color (kind of like Match-3, in fact) for stronger elemental types. Above is a quick guide of the four basic spells. Earth, it turns out, does have its uses. But it's still mostly terrible.

No Caption Provided

Magic Defense is as big a deal as regular Defense in this game, and it is worth your consideration when choosing accessories. Trust me. I speak from experience.

No Caption Provided

Chante (the fairy) casts the spells, but as the token fairy she's also required to dole out inanely obvious commentary and hints. I don't know why.

No Caption Provided

So an interesting feature of this game is that on each of the brief action stages there's a hidden chest you can find by completing a specific task. It tends to be things like hitting all the trees, reaching a distant hard-to-reach platform or defeating certain enemies first. It is some serious Tower of Druaga obfuscating shit, and the hints you get for sacrificing HP at the church rarely tell you anything. But the treasures are worth it. So do random stuff all the time? And maybe that will work.

No Caption Provided

I have no idea why the mushroom enemies look like that. It confounds me.

No Caption Provided

After I drew this I met a silhouette boss and a multi-form final boss defeated with the power of friendship (spoilers for every JRPG ever?) So clearly there was more to add to this comic. Last panel still fits though.

No Caption Provided

Why do fishing mini-games always do this to me? They give you a little fishing bestiary in the item screen to fill up! With fishes! Gaaaaaah.

No Caption Provided

And this was where I quit.

Overall, if you like Recettear, you'll like this game. It's considerably less in-depth, as an Action RPG with limited resources, but it moves at a brisk pace, has some frantically fun Ys-esque combat and there's no penalty for getting your ass killed. And believe me, it'll happen a lot, since there's no healing items beyond what enemies feel like dropping very occasionally. There's no XP either: It's one of those games like Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles where the clothes make the man (or anime) as far as stats go. So it's short but challenging, which kind of balances out. Definitely worth the ten bucks they're asking for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b047a335a3c2
    deactivated-5b047a335a3c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Nice blog post.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Man, I wish I could do something like this. Also, at least one of these should be your new avatar.

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#4  Edited By beard_of_zeus

Haha, thanks for the post, quite entertaining. I was sort of interested in this game, but I think I'll just stick with Recettear; it worries me that without the haggling hooks I won't be as engaged. 

I actually still have Ys Seven to finish on my PSP (thanks for reminding me!), so I might do that in lieu of purchasing this :P

omghisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By omghisam

Ten dollars well spent. Keep up the good work, electronic pal.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By 49th

I like the pictures :)

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By bybeach

Good job, imaginative and smartly done.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BraveToaster

I enjoyed this. Consider yourself followed.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#9  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I approve of this new blogging style for you Mento. It doesn't make me want to play Chantelise any more than I already did (which is to say: I didn't), but now I know... WITH PICTURES.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#10  Edited By BeachThunder

Is it bad that if at first I saw the "but sometimes I'll look like this" image as Vincent with horns?

Twitter Icon
    Twitter Icon
    beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By beforet

"This is Elise. She's an anime"

That really did it for me, somehow. Followed.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By Claude

That was fun. Do it again.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Turambar
    @Video_Game_King said:
    Man, I wish I could do something like this. Also, at least one of these should be your new avatar.
    I agree with this, and vote for "one loli joke later"
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @Turambar

My vote was more for the face under Chante.
    ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By ttocs

Hah, excellent blog post! You gained a follower!

sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By sparklykiss

Aw, a PTW plug. Thanks, duder!

I played the demo of this and it really lacked the charm that Recettear had. Recettear was beyond delightful but something about Chantelise is really grating to me. I don't think I'll be picking this u-Fishing? It has fishing? Okay, I'll be grabbing that when it is on sale for sure.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mento  Moderator

@Sparklykiss: It has fishing in lava.

sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By sparklykiss

@Mento: Woman, don't you tempt me.

Bolt3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By Bolt3

please carry on with this. This is great.

Avatar image for runeseekermireille
    RuneseekerMireille

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

That was quite entertaining. Following now!

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ThunderSlash

Oh man, fishing mini games in my dungeon crawlers. It's gonna be like Dark Cloud 2 all over again!

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By EquitasInvictus

The two things that drew me to this was that it was a look on Chantelise and that your community spotlight blurb featured your Churuya reference.

This was great! I might consider picking up Chantelise at a later time considering how much I loved Recettear, which I reviewed about a year ago!

I'm definitely looking forward to more like this!

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By sirdesmond

These pictures are great. I'd love to see more posts like this in the future with other games.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By DeF

your MSPaint drawings are awesome! :) (the writing as well!)

I'd buy a comic book with those.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.