Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Child of Light

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Apr 29, 2014

A downloadable game inspired by classic RPGs with turn-based combat from the creative director of Far Cry 3, made using the UbiArt engine powering the most recent Rayman games.

Reviews are out!

• 126 results
    jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jimmyfenix
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Awesome. Though, again, I went into this expecting Polygon to be the low score and what do you know...

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I'm probably the only one but I really don't like the art style of this game.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

i really dont count polygon anymore in anything. let alone arthur gies,

glad to see the majority of reviews are solid. might pick this one up, good on ubisoft doing small games in between the high class releases.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By falserelic

@demoskinos said:

Same, This whole month has been dry of any new interesting games, but next month we'll have Watchdogs. Till then I'll keep playing Warframe and check out the new update for that game. Gotta have that Ninja on Ninja action in my life.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By EuanDewar

@jasonr86 said:

Awesome. Though, again, I went into this expecting Polygon to be the low score and what do you know...

I know there's a stigma around Polygon and Arthur Gies especially, which I understand to a certain extent, but I don't see anything in their review really worth taking issue with. He just didn't like the game as much is all.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@euandewar:

I didn't read it and don't really want to. I just think it's great that it's so predictable. Every thread here where reviews are compiled Polygon is almost always the lowest score. It's crazy. I'm not offended or anything. It's just that, if I were an editor there, I would wonder about our review process if my team were that predictable. I'd say the same thing if they were always the highest score.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I'm with you, sir. An art style that looks unfinished isn't my cup of tea.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Steadying

Great to see it's reviewing well. Also I just found out that Yoshitaka Amano made artwork for this game. That's really cool.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@jasonr86: Looking at their reviews page their scores seem pretty evenly spread across the spectrum. In fact I'd say they consistently score things quite highly. I think you're just seeing some pretty specific examples.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos said:

I'm with you, sir. An art style that looks unfinished isn't my cup of tea.

You watercolourists!

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By Seppli

I don't see the much touted inspiration it supposedly took from Final Fantasy VI. The subject matter and art direction is way too *Children's Fairy Tale Story Book* for that. Final Fantasy VI is a steampunk-fantasy epic with a strong ensemble cast tackling the Apocalypse, and what comes after. Nope, not seeing that in Child of Light. If I would, it'd be playing it right now. I don't, so I won't. False advertising.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@euandewar: Based on my own preferences and how Polygon's opinions don't mesh with my own, they're an unreliable review source for me. Part of it is how predictable their lower review scores have been for games I've liked in the past. There are very few reviews they have that I would agree with.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@jimmyfenix: Is it an indie darling?

I don't even know if it's an indie developer..

Everything about this game looked great, until I saw it features turn-based-esque RPG combat which completely turned me off from it.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I was looking pretty forward to this little gem. I'm glad the reviews turned out well!

...I'm sure it won't be long until the internet hates it.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh, I was dreading they would be lower, that makes me hopeful... Hm, hopefully there will be a quick look soon.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game looks beautiful, but I have too much of a backlog right now. Definitely gonna pick it up in a Steam sale after seeing these scores. Thanks for compiling them, btw.

Stepside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

So excited. I'm really hoping it's a 10hour+ game

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stepside: Ubisoft has said that it's about 10 hours long before, so maybe. (I'm not trying to be snarky with that " maybe " btw, it's just that devs generally love to lie about how long their games actually are).

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Steadying

@hailinel: To be fair, it's only 15 dollars. Which is kinda surprising since the Rayman Ubiart games were both 60 dollars and not that much longer.

It still kinda sucks, though. I'm replaying FF VIII right now, and I just realized how desperately I want another old school, 60 hour RPG like this, but we'll probably never get one again.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

A negative review from Arthur Gies couldn't be more of an endorsement. Pre-ordered.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@steadyingmeat: Play Bravely Default! Lengthy and old school in its design.

billymaysrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By billymaysrip

Tom McShea's review of the game was actually kind-of gut wrenching.

@humanity: It's developed by a small team at Ubisoft on their UbiArt framework that they claimed was going to be opensource sometime in the future. It has all of the trappings of an indie game, but it's not independent. I talked to some Ubisoft reps at PAX and they basically are claiming that the game is a proof-of-concept for the UbiArt framework.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: I find the battle system more needlessly annoying than I do innovative or fun, and the story/characters don't look interesting at all. I do like the class system, though, so I'll probably buy it at some point. Also, I am incredibly curious as to why everyone seems to hate the second half with a burning passion, so that alone is tempting me to play through the game. :P

I was actually about to buy it the other day, but just as soon as I was about to confirm the purchase, I remembered " oh wait, there's no chance in hell the default 3DS storage will be able to hold this! " (I was on the eShop) =_=

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By hollitz

@hailinel: I find the battle system more needlessly annoying than I do innovative or fun, and the story/characters don't look interesting at all. I do like the class system, though, so I'll probably buy it at some point. Also, I am incredibly curious as to why everyone seems to hate the second half with a burning passion, so that alone is tempting me to play through the game. :P

I was actually about to buy it the other day, but just as soon as I was about to confirm the purchase, I remembered " oh wait, there's no chance in hell the default 3DS storage will be able to hold this! " (I was on the eShop) =_=

The battle system in conjunction with the class system is what really makes the game shine. The story is pretty meh, but Edea is an excellent character.

Have you played Tales of Vesperia? It's easily my favorite JRPG since the psone era. If you're a fan of that old school style JRPG, I'd say it's even worth buying a 360 for.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel:

A 10 hour RPG sounds fantastic right now. Why would an RPG be required to be long?

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hollitz: I have played Vesperia! It's a great game. Not as good as Xillia, though. Mwahaha.

Also, @jasonr86, I dunno if this is how Hailinel feels about it, but when I play an RPG, I want a lenghy and satisfying...uh,sense of progression I guess you would call it? and a really fleshed out story and characters, and it's extremely hard to do that in a measly 10 hours. I'm still playing this game, though, since I think it looks super fun.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Zeik

10 hours is about what I would have expected from a game like this, which is fine. Assuming it's actually 10 hours, and not "10 hours". (But really 5.)

I like me some long-ass RPGs, but a game should only be as long as it needs to be. Ironically, Bravely Default is the very definition of a game that breaks that rule. It is a worse game for its length.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@steadyingmeat:

You can do plenty in 10 hours. In fact a lot of RPGs fall flat when their content has to fill 30-80 hours because it just isn't interesting enough to last that long.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86: Ten hours isn't enough to give me the sense of depth and scope I generally prefer in RPG gameplay and story.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I keep flip-flopping. Some days, I think it looks great. Others, I don't care for it.

The last half (or third) of Bravely Default is basically running through the Cliffnotes version of the first half four times in a row, from what I've heard.

For my own response, I thought Child of Light sounded really interesting when I first heard about it but now I'm not very interested. I don't really like the 2D perspective for what is ostensibly a JRPG made in the West.

It's one of those games that I'll probably pick up at Thanksgiving or Christmas after seeing that it's on sale.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel:

That tells me RPG writers aren't very good.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86: I'd still take a forty or sixty hour RPG with passable writing over one that's ten hours long and, well written though it may be, is over almost as quickly as it starts. Child of Light doesn't have the meat it needs to interest me as a game or story, even at its asking price.

But it looks a hell of a lot more entertaining than Costume Quest and its simplistic premise and gameplay, I'll give it that.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By ProfessorEss

It looks so nice to me visually but I don't think it's gonna be my bag. I enjoyed my time with Costume Quest but there's something weird to me about an old-school turn-based RPG system where you never have to look at, care about or caress any numbers. Kinda makes the process of turn-based combat feel a little... pre-determined.

Definitely need more info on this. The pros score heavy on story, atmosphere and succinctness (nice way of saying it) so when it comes to this sort of game I rarely come away from reviews feeling particularly informed.

Can't wait for a Quick Look.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I saw the 6.5 from Polygon, I was like "Gies reviewed it, didn't he?!" Yup... He did. I'm not saying it's a bad thing that he wasn't digging it, but he's predictable. That's probably a good thing, it means he has some sort of personality as a writer. Most reviewers are nameless/faceless to me. He's doing something right, even if I usually disagree with his views.

I'm not reading any of the reviews yet. It's something I've been wanting to play. I don't need to know more than that for a $15 game.

Any idea why this is coming out on Wednesday instead of Tuesday like most games?

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

@seppli: The character portrait art and box art and stuff like that had a sort of similar watercolor look to it. Never much cared for that aspect of it.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Steadying

@grantheaslip: I mean, the game really isn't like Final Fantasy at all, so they'd be wrong to say that anyway. It has a similar battle system to some of them, but that's about it.

Also, @thatonedudenick, this is just me totally assuming that the GameFAQS release dates are right and being kinda paranoid, but uh, it seems to be only coming out on Tuesday on PlayStation platforms, so.... yyyeahhh.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Seppli

@veektarius said:

@seppli: The character portrait art and box art and stuff like that had a sort of similar watercolor look to it. Never much cared for that aspect of it.

Kinda. I'd love a game in the artstyle of the Final Fantasy VI box cover and concept art. Both are certainly painterly, but Child of Light looks like a childern's book, where-as Final Fantasy VI does definitely not. I'm not an art major, so I lack the proper words, I'll just say the FFVI box art is simply awesome, and not *Childern's Book* awesome like Child of Light.

Child of Light looks kinda like this? Not quite enough.
    Child of Light looks kinda like this? Not quite enough.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

@seppli: The whole game doesn't look like this, but this is still pretty cool regardless. In case you don't know, that's the guy who's behind all that FF art.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Seppli

@steadyingmeat said:

Loading Video...

@seppli: The whole game doesn't look like this, but this is still pretty cool regardless. In case you don't know, that's the guy who's behind all that FF art.

Yeah, that's much more like it. Shame the team at Ubisoft made his design *softer*. It seems like a lot of the darkness of his original design was lost in translation, like it was made more child-friendly, and has been somewhat westernized. I would have dug Child of Light much more, if the art was darker and had more of a mean edge to it, like Amano's design in this trailer has.

Jazz_Bcaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh look. Arthur Gies is typically lukewarm in another review. I find his reviews increasingly spineless and only gently prodding at controversy. He could be fantastic if he had something interesting to say and didn't hold back, but alas, 6.5. Neither one way, nor the other, and is increasingly become a trend in his reviews, regardless.

At least that guy on Forbes spouting flowery nonsense about Dark Souls 2 had the balls to do it. His mistake was just being offensive and guarding his ego behind literary quotes. Polygon is all the pretence without any of the backbone to be anything other than pure tabloid.

I'll wait to watch Brad float around whilst he blames the controls and decide for myself.

@hailinel said:

@jasonr86: I'd still take a forty or sixty hour RPG with passable writing over one that's ten hours long and, well written

I hate to clash horns with you again but, this says it all for me.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jazz_bcaz: That I prefer entertaining games that last as opposed to games that might do something better in some respects but don't last long enough to fulfill potential?

Jazz_Bcaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: Length has nothing to do with quality or potential. Journey is beloved and only about 2 hour long. Often, creativity thrives within constraint.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jazz_bcaz: On the contrary, length can directly impact both. A game can certainly stretch on too long, but if it's too short, the story may feel truncated or rushed, and the gameplay may be too simple or not be given enough time to demonstrate its strengths.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@jasonr86: I like long RPG's because it gives the games plenty of time to stretch their legs with the mechanics. I often find shorter RPGs not nearly as satisfying even if they are good games in their own right. And story wise it gives the writers room to have more room to build believable character arcs.

I get slower paced games aren't for everyone but I enjoy them. Which is why I loved Ni No Kuni's deliberately slow build.

Jazz_Bcaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@jazz_bcaz: but if it's too short, the story may feel truncated or rushed, and the gameplay may be too simple or not be given enough time to demonstrate its strengths.

Maybe that's something at the mercy of execution rather than length in and of itself. Personally, I wont be approaching this game from a mechanical standpoint. I fully intend to play it with my family, whom I'm still trying to introduce to gaming, and the co-op mode seems perfect for this. As does the length and the style.

I also find slow build unforgivable if the creators cannot pay it off in full. Often slow build feels like filler because they skimp on a genuine and meaningful exploration of whatever they're trying to do.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.