Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Chrono Trigger

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Mar 11, 1995

Take control of the lovable but silent protagonist Crono in this time-spanning collaborative effort from Squaresoft's "Dream Team." Chrono Trigger follows the exploits of Crono as he and his friends attempt to save the world from a planet-devouring alien creature.

Endurance Run - how is it going?

• 68 results
    ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By ll_Exile_ll
    @Korolev said:

It's alright. However, if you've already played Chrono Trigger then it's not that interesting since you know what's going to happen. It's not nearly as crazy as P4 or Deadly Premonition, meaning that there's less material to make fun of.

And as others have said, don't read the video comments. Patrick and Ryan are pretty much playing through it blind - Ryan's never played it and Patrick has almost forgotten everything about it. They don't find all the secrets, they make mistakes and they play it like any other human being and for some reason that infuriates some people who bitch and moan about how they don't play it in a "perfect" way. Somehow I doubt the complainers played it "perfectly" the first time they played it.

I agree that the comments can get pretty stupid, and I absolutely hated all the people complaining in the P4 and Deadly Premonition runs because other than Brad being Brad, they played those games like any normal person would play a game their first time through. While I am really enjoying the Chrono Trigger run and most of the comments are, like past endurance runs, stupid and bitchy, there are some valid complaints thrown in with the inane ramblings. The biggest I've had is the fact that for a good 20 episode stretch, it seemed like they weren't reading anything and didn't seem to really care about the story, which is probably the best story in a 16-bit game. They definitely did get better about reading as it went on, and while I consider this ER to be in 4th place as far as best ERs go (#1:P4 #2:VJ DP #3: BR DP), it is still great and better than just about any Let's Play you'll find on the internet.
    Hargreaves93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By Hargreaves93

I've only watched about 7 episodes so far but it seems good up to know. Having never played Chrono Trigger, everything is new to me and I suppose that helps keep it fresh for me!

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By jozzy

I stopped watching a week ago, the game just doesn't really interest me that much. But I am probably not the best person to ask, I skipped through most of the combat portions of the p4 ER. But I was quite invested in the story, which I am not with CT.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Hourai

I'm not really bored enough to watch two people derp through an old game. The previous two Endurance Runs, sure, they were a ton of fun to watch. They had that something special to them. They created a lot of in-jokes and humor that spread throughout the rest of the site and it was fun watching along with the rest Giant Bomb, even during the bad and the slow times. With this... there's just nothing to it. It's been reduced from an Endurance Run to just another LP. I think I stopped after the 4th video or something. Just not worth my time.

pacmanlh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By pacmanlh

I've watched every episode and it can have its ups and downs. There's a lot less crazy banter than the previous endurance runs and it always seems weird to me when they become serious and create strategies for beating certain enemies. Something like gameinformer's super replay of Overblood 2 where they're playing a bad game and completely screw around is more fun than the current endurance run. Not to say I don't like it, but it just feels different. I'll still watch the rest and hopefully shit starts to go crazy ( I've never played Chrono Trigger).

sanzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By sanzee

Ryan and Pat struggled at first but that's just because they didn't really read the text. I feel like they're paying more attention now.

But a lot of people are forgetting that games are made very differently today. Games hold your hand now days. Games back then (i.e. 1995) were not like that. You had to figure out a lot of stuff on your own. So I can totally see why Ryan and Pat got stuck a few times.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I got bored of it about two weeks ago and stopped watching.

Bad game choice + Bad pairing = Yawn.

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#58  Edited By Master_Funk

I like it , mainly because I have never played Chrono Trigger and the game has a very cool story

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a person who never played Chrono Trigger I can see what people find appealing and good about the game, but it just doesn't make for a very entertaining Endurance Run to watch - there is plenty of stuff to endure - but then I'd rather them call it a Fun Run instead.

I think a game like Incredible Crisis would have made for a better Endurance Run, not because the gameplay is anything great, but because the stuff around it is so damn entertaining - same thing that made Deadly Premonition and Persona 4 so entertaining to watch.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#60  Edited By Evilsbane

@OllyOxenFree said:

It's going well. Just don't read any of the video comments.

Yea this in spades, but I am shocked at how good it's been the game/people combo was odd but it has been one of my favs.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Turambar

This ER has me laughing at them far more often than laughing with them, but laughing all the same.  Take that how you will.

iPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By iPliskin

This ER has Patrick in it, so... it fucking sucks!. inb4 fruitcake e-white knights.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#63  Edited By JasonR86

I stopped watching after around episode 30. Ryan and Patrick were bored, I was bored, and so I didn't know why I would continue being bored with bored company. Plus I had recently beat Chrono Trigger so every time they messed up or didn't know where to go it just bugged me. I think for an ER to be fun for me to watch not only does the game need to be new to the presenters but it needs to be new to me too.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#64  Edited By Simplexity

While this ER is worse then both its predecessors it's still fun to watch, or atleast I find it fun to watch. I also don't flip out when they fuck up in game and play poorly which seems some people are simply just unable to cope with.

stingx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#65  Edited By stingx2

Reading optional = best summary

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Quipido

@Dany said:

... Patrick and Ryan are goo together. ...

And that's all I've got to say about that.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#67  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I stopped watching after a few episodes.

The dudes are great. Chrono Trigger just isn't a good ER game.

renachan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#68  Edited By renachan
    @limecloud said:

Ryan and Pat struggled at first but that's just because they didn't really read the text. I feel like they're paying more attention now.

But a lot of people are forgetting that games are made very differently today. Games hold your hand now days. Games back then (i.e. 1995) were not like that. You had to figure out a lot of stuff on your own. So I can totally see why Ryan and Pat got stuck a few times.

More on this, while Patrick and Ryan seem to have gotten that point they still are pretty bad about reading at times. Which sometimes is funny, sometimes is annoying, and sometimes will leave you yelling at the scream. But they have gotten better with time, and they only get so lost. It is interesting to see how game design has changed with lack of zelda highlighting.

I would also say avoid the comment because of annoying white knighters, people who yell at anyone for making any negative comments- and while there is some who are making silly non constructive comments, as it goes on you do have a chunk of people who honestly want them to reach at least a certain normal level of play. Not wanting a perfect game, but wanting them to do things like have better reading comprehension. And the people lumping everyone who has made a negative comment all together  has sucked out the fun for me just as much as people who are whining. 

BUT! Despite all that I have really enjoyed it and it's a highlight for my mornings. I think they make a good pair, if they need to have more small chat etc. And the game is a fine one for an ER, people saying it's not crazy enough I think they haven't played themselves recently and forgot some of the stuff that happens. Twists no, but weird fun things.   So check it out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.