Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Chrono Trigger

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Mar 11, 1995

Take control of the lovable but silent protagonist Crono in this time-spanning collaborative effort from Squaresoft's "Dream Team." Chrono Trigger follows the exploits of Crono as he and his friends attempt to save the world from a planet-devouring alien creature.

Whats the best way to play Chrono Trigger today?

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By rachelepithet

Local game store has SNES complete in box, pretty great condition, but played, not mint. For $175. ($150 after trade ins of duplicate games I own.)

Then theres the DS game, which can be had for about $18.

Next, Wii VC release, for what, $8?

PS3's PS1 VC, but because they do so little to modify their games, even though its running off a hard drive, it'd have all of the CD-ROM load times? Isn't it just extracted from some kind of Square collection from PS1 that paired it with the SNES Final Fantasies?

Welp, what about buying said CD-ROM? Local game shops typically carry classic PS1 JRPGs for around $30.

Finally, is there more choices? PSP remake? iPad? Was there also a remake of the game for PS1 that wasn't just the chronicles port?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Go with Nintendo DS if you can.

Meepasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Meepasaurus

Whatever you do, don't play the PS1 version. The load times for every single battle make it unplayable. The DS version is pretty good if you don't mind playing it on a handheld.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By MezZa

SNES or DS. Depends on how classic of an experience you want.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

I believe the DS version is the PS1 version (which was enhanced with anime cutscenes) without the load times and less screen clutter (most of the text is on the bottom screen). So yeah, go with that one.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

There is an iPhone/Touch/Pad version that has the DS translation but also has atrocious load times and framerate issues. Yep, framerate issues. There is absolutely no reason to get this one.

The DS version is completely re-translated and all of the sentences are nice and perfect and make sense, and a whole lot of the items are renamed. This is the best version with the clearest and most defined graphics and different control schemes, etc. - unfortunately, it's also on the smallest screen and on a handheld. If you have no problems with that, then this is the version to get unless...

... you don't mind the rough translation or the slightly longer (though not atrociously bad) load times, in which case the PS1 version might be better to get because a) it's yours probably for life (or until Sony decides to stop supporting anything playing PS1 games - unlikely, from what I understand it's cheap and it's all emulation at this point) and b) you can both play it on the go on a PSP/Vita and on a PS3.

EDIT: I'm going to admit something that the mods aren't going to like - I have a modified PSP and I have (note the past tense) played a pirated version of Chrono Trigger on it. I have bought the DS version, so don't go nuts on me, but the load times on that were not good, but not bad, i.e. very much playable. I wouldn't think that the PSN version would be any different in terms of load times since they're both, presumably, taken straight off of the CD./EDIT

The SNES version is likely to go kaput soon, it's only good as a collector sort of thing, and there is no reason to buy the PS1 disc when you can get the PS1 version as a download for both your PS1 and PSP/Vita.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

I played the SNES version on the Wii VC and besides the bad translations it's perfectly fine.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By killacam

iOS! j/k!

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dungbootle

DS version

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ghost_cat

By equipping ultimate damage.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Benny

DS version, I played it in parallel with the endurance run and it has some nice additions such as anime style cutscenes at key points during the game. The translation is a bit better also.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By XenoNick

DS Version.

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Icemo

I played the DS version and I have no bad words to say about it. Do it.

SagaciousJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SagaciousJones

Personally, I like the Wii VC release the most. Just a straight adaptation of the original SNES version. No frills and no tampering.

I think of Ted Woolsey (the original translator) as the video game equivalent of the miller's daughter from Rumpelstiltskin: spinning gold from straw under ridiculous pressure. While there's something to be said for accuracy, I prefer a script that's energetic and full of personality instead of technical perfection. I've played and own the DS version and it really does nothing for me. Too much of the fun was extracted from the dialog. Moreover, the anime cutscenes are sparse and add very little, and the additional content is extremely underwhelming.

Do NOT play the PS1 version. The load times are pretty bad if you've played the original version. It has the Woolsey script and the cutscenes, but it won't look or play any better overall. I have played and own this as well and never want to touch it again.

The lowest price on Amazon for a cart seems to be $80 at the moment. Just throwing that out there.

There is an iOS version but I can't comment on it. I'll just say I find any game which originally required a d-pad to be an absolute mess playing with touch controls, though.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15  Edited By GERALTITUDE

ehhhhh. Personally, having played all these versions... whatever. Just play it. I wouldn't buy the expensive SNES original before you figure out how much you like it though.

aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By aleryn

DS. SNES version is great but I recall it having slowdown issues on the original hardware. Plus the DS is portable and that makes the game even better.

Edit: Hadn't considered the translation differences between those two versions. Sort of up to your personal taste in this way.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jimmyfenix

how is the android version guys ?

SagaciousJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SagaciousJones

@Aleryn said:

Edit: Hadn't considered the translation differences between those two versions. Sort of up to your personal taste in this way.

Yes, exactly. I prefer the original, but I really want to stress that it's just my personal (probably biased) taste because I played it that way first.

Now, FF6 on the GBA. THAT re-release is straight up sacrilege.

Avatar image for thechronodarkness
    thechronodarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is the best way to play chrono trigger?

The snes version on the pc. No load times. It looks very nice being rendered in hd resoultions. I didn't mention how or what to do. I'm just answering, this is the best way. Plus a wireless 360 controller dongle makes it really easy.

The ds version is nice. Cheapest way to buy it i'd say.

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By kgb0515

Without pants.....but seriously, get the SNES version if you still have the system. I would totally buy one for that game if I didn't already have it.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Emulator, once you play an old slow moving game with 5-10 times speed you can never go back, every game has chrono cross' NG+ mechanic! Put 170 hours into FFV but it only took about 20 or so (I own anthology and even had a save midway through but saved a ton of time regardless).

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dallas_Raines

IOS/Android or Wii. Simply because those versions don't have the shitty, character destroying 'bonus ending' that leads into Chrono Cross. I won't spoil it, I'll just say that it's absolutely infuriating for some(REAL) CT fans.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By chrissedoff

Buy the Virtual Console version to cover your ass and play it on an emulator on your computer. You can fast forward through easy battles that way.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Karkarov

@thechronodarkness said:

What is the best way to play chrono trigger?

The snes version on the pc. No load times. It looks very nice being rendered in hd resoultions. I didn't mention how or what to do. I'm just answering, this is the best way. Plus a wireless 360 controller dongle makes it really easy.

The ds version is nice. Cheapest way to buy it i'd say.

Truth! I don't feel bad saying it either what with the fact that I actually own the original game and yes the cart still works.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By DeF

@boocreepyfootdoctor:

Best version: DS

Quick and Dirty (most faithful recreation of the original experience without dumb tech issues): Virtual Console (with a chance to upgrade to the Wii U VC version in the future, should you find yourself owning one at some point in time)

Stay clear of iOS ports. And there is no other remake other than the DS version (which is just an enhanced port, not a remake)

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I first played it on the DS and it's great

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By QuistisTrepe
    Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sanity

The DS version is fine, played through it twice now.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29  Edited By Marz

emulator, you can smooth the edges with some post processing :O  

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By Sooty

Emulation.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Petiew

Get the DS version, I can't think of any reason other than crazy nostalgia to pay $80 for the SNES version. 
    I guess if you emulate you can speed it up, like others have said.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By Video_Game_King
    Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By Sergio

@chrissedoff said:

Buy the Virtual Console version to cover your ass and play it on an emulator on your computer. You can fast forward through easy battles that way.

FYI, owning a copy doesn't make playing on an emulator any less illegal, if that is what you meant by "cover your ass."

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By rachelepithet

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By chrissedoff

@Sergio: Since I've never even heard of legal action being taken against people who download SNES ROMs for their personal use, the legal question is kind of irrelevant. But morally, I don't think anyone really sees a problem with playing a game on ZSNES when you own it on your Wii. I sure don't, at the very least.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By cmblasko

I'd go with the DS version; better translation, some extra content, mobility, won't cost you an arm and a leg to play legitimately.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#37  Edited By Sergio

@chrissedoff: People can choose to do whatever they want to do. I just wanted to make sure that someone isn't given the false impression that playing a downloaded ROM on an emulator is legal because they own a physical copy. From Nintendo's legal FAQ:

Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?
    There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.
    Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
    deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

DS or iOS depending on what you fancy.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39  Edited By wrighteous86

DS version, for sure.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#40  Edited By Undeadpool

DS has the best localization and would be easiest to get, so go for that one. I don't care how "classic" the SNES version is, Frog sounds like AN INSANE PERSON.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#41  Edited By cornbredx

The SNES one is for collectors and while a great version, to me, not a must. There are so many ports (and as far as I recall they play fine) that there's no reason to buy it for a lot of money unless you want it for a collection.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kishinfoulux

The only way you'll be "doing it wrong" is with the PSN/PS1 version. Good gracious the load times.

I'll always prefer the SNES version. It's great having my favorite game of all time on the go on the DS, but I detest the translation in that version. Removed a lot of the charm for me.

DudeSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DudeSupreme

SNES feels the best to me because every other version seems to change the sound effects and music slightly. I love keeping everything the original way just as I played it back when I was younger.

Of course $175 seems like way too much (even if it is my favorite RPG ever), so just get the ZSNES emulator or the DS version.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By chrissedoff

@Sergio: That's really good of you to do and thank you for exposing what was a significant blind spot in my post.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By ch3burashka

@believer258: I was going to recommend the iOS version. You say it has loading and framerate issues? That's a major bummer.

I've come to appreciate iOS ports of old games as a very convenient way to access games I like. The GTA's, Max Payne, etc are terrible as games on a touchscreen, but I think if you don't mind not being fully in control and playing on easy, you can get a lot out of the game. As for games more suited for the touchscreen like Phoenix Wright and Ghost Trick, I say bring it!

PolygonSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By PolygonSlayer

DS version is probably the best one, if you can't get that one, then go for the VC version.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By Justin258
    @CH3BURASHKA

@believer258: I was going to recommend the iOS version. You say it has loading and framerate issues? That's a major bummer.

I've come to appreciate iOS ports of old games as a very convenient way to access games I like. The GTA's, Max Payne, etc are terrible as games on a touchscreen, but I think if you don't mind not being fully in control and playing on easy, you can get a lot out of the game. As for games more suited for the touchscreen like Phoenix Wright and Ghost Trick, I say bring it!

Really? Even if it didn't have any isssues running, I could never stand to play the game with subpar controls. To each his own, but how does one control GTA3 on a phone anyway?
    irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#48  Edited By irrelevantjohn

DS version is probably the one you want. I played it on PS3 through the PS1 classics and let's just say loading, loading, and more loading.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

If you've never played it before just go ahead with the DS version. If not that than VC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.