Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Civilization

Franchise »

A celebrated series of civilization-building turn-based strategy games created and produced by Sid Meier.

Damn you Ryan and Steam

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
    deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

So Ryan going on and on about Civ V is making me really think a lot about Civilization.  I played a bit of Civ Rev, but that last one I got heavy into was Civ II, so this new one wasn't even on my radar.  Now, I don't have a PC that can run Civ V, nor do I have the spare change to pick it up right now...but Civ III is $5 on Steam.  Damn, that's tempting...

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
    deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

So Ryan going on and on about Civ V is making me really think a lot about Civilization.  I played a bit of Civ Rev, but that last one I got heavy into was Civ II, so this new one wasn't even on my radar.  Now, I don't have a PC that can run Civ V, nor do I have the spare change to pick it up right now...but Civ III is $5 on Steam.  Damn, that's tempting...

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

I know what you mean, listening to the Bombcast has been the push that's made me play quite a few games in the past I would have otherwise given a pass.  In general though if someone is enthusiastic about something, even if I'm not particuarly interested personally, it tends to rub off on me a little bit.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

I bought Civilization III on Steam awhile back and never played it. All this talk about Civilization recently is making me want to play it though.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I own Civ III on steam (I got it in a steam sale a long while ago), and was never able to get into it. The complete absence of a tutorial was such a turn off. I really love the idea of Civ, I love strategy games and Civ sounds awesome, but it's so daunting. It might be OK if I had a physical manual in front of me to help me as I play, but the PDF Steam provide isn't much use while I'm playing the game. When it comes to strategy games, the mechanics are usually so different from other games in the genre that I really like to have my hand held through the early parts of the game to help me get used to the unique & different mechanics. Throwing me into the deep end and expecting me to be able to swim just doesn't work with these games.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By ch3burashka

Steam sure is a bitch in that way. No matter what sales are on now, I'm completely abstaining until Xmas. I already have about 40 games I haven't even downloaded yet.

AdH0c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By AdH0c

Been playing the Civ V demo. The UI is totally different from the old Civ games. Its really easy to see what's going on and the advisor's are always giving hints. Saying that I am totally biased as I have play every Civ game.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By ReyGitano

I prefer Civ III to Civ IV. I understood what I was doing in Civ III, and units and UI acted in a way I expected it to. Civ IV on the other hand was just everywhere.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Never played a civ game before, but I recently expanded my horizons with Starcraft II (which I fucking love), even though I have a sworn hatred of strategy games in general.  I would buy Civ V, but am saving my monies for New Vegas and Dead Rising 2.  I'll pick up Civ V round xmas probably, when it inevitably goes on sale.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.