Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Comic Jumper

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Oct 06, 2010

Comic Jumper is a side scrolling action game developed by Twisted Pixel. Taking their successful comedic touch in previous ventures and honing it to a sharpened edge, Comic Jumper is filled with manic, unpredictable humor throughout.

Anybody agree with Jeff about the 'gameplay' of this game?

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By granderojo

I don't. Comic Jumper at first to me was very punishing, Robots felt like they took forever to kill but that only teaches you that you have to be methodical in how you move in the game. Which actually works in the games favor because you are forced by the necessity to look at all the stupidly funny references Twisted Pixel put into their game. The choice to make the enemies sponge bullets felt like a deliberate choice in this game, and actually worked to me. Anybody else feel this way about Comic Jumper? 

On a side note I will say thankyou to Jeff for mentioning Amped 3 in the review and in the podcast when talking about Comic Jumper. I went ahead and bought that at gamestop for 5 bucks and it's fucking incredibly funny. Best launch 360 game indeed, it's a shame that it passed me up all this time.  

Movin'.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Undeadpool

I actually agree with him. You can't always have a methodical pace because sometimes you have to jump forward, which can trigger more enemies spawning than you're ready for. Or there are levels that go by automatically like the space level. I feel like this game's biggest flaw is not giving you a dedicated melee button. There's no good reason to have X also used to fire, so why not just give a knockback that you can use on command rather than a really hard to execute melee attack that sometimes works when enemies are close and sometimes doesn't? 
    Don't get me wrong, I'm LOVING this game and even parts of the challenge (kinda like Demon's Soul...) but I feel like a tiny tweak like that could've really benefited it.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Afroman269

Very much so. The gameplay pisses me off a lot sometimes and it goes on for too long at spots. My most hated part is the boss you fight in the third manga issue. Other than that I really love the game.......that ending.....so awesome.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ryanwho

I guess the difference between this and Eat Lead is the humor worked for him here in a big way. Or maybe he's just fickle to the point of chaotic inconsistency.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By KowalskiManDown

The game's just too damn punishing. It's not just the difficulty, it's the checkpoints. It's a shame because I'm finding myself forced to play this game in real small chunks, otherwise I just get too frustrated with it which puts me in the wrong mood for the funny parts (making them less effective). 

Please Twisted Pixel... patch this game and lower the difficulty (or give us difficulty options).

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By thatfrood

Shouldn't this thread be titled "Anybody disagree..."?

hermie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By hermie

I agree with Jeff as well, I find myself forcing through the shooting just to get to the next funny bit. I think I only got the bonus money for not getting hit one single time, and that was because I had replayed that section so many god damn times. 

Still, I completed it, so it never broke the experience for me, I guess.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By granderojo
    @Undeadpool said:
    " I actually agree with him. You can't always have a methodical pace because sometimes you have to jump forward, which can trigger more enemies spawning than you're ready for. Or there are levels that go by automatically like the space level. I feel like this game's biggest flaw is not giving you a dedicated melee button. There's no good reason to have X also used to fire, so why not just give a knockback that you can use on command rather than a really hard to execute melee attack that sometimes works when enemies are close and sometimes doesn't? Don't get me wrong, I'm LOVING this game and even parts of the challenge (kinda like Demon's Soul...) but I feel like a tiny tweak like that could've really benefited it. "
    My biggest problem I found was with the slide button. Sometimes I would try to jump I would slide which fucked me up. Also I never found any spots where "I had to just push ahead" every spot in the game you could methodically move forward. that was my experience. 
    KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

Jeff hit the nail on the head with his review. When it comes to gameplay, I find very little of this game to actually be fun. There's a lot of contributing factors that make playing it such a bummer, and it's a real shame the game turned out like this, because I love literally everything else about it. But the ridiculous difficulty, poor checkpointing, bullet-sponge enemies, unresponsive jumping/sliding, a ton of projectiles that are impossible to avoid, sections that drag on for way too long, and a bunch of other things really turn me off from it. I did find a few of the bosses to be pretty fun, though. Luckily, the game is also fucking hilarious, and that almost kinda makes up for all that other shit.

commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By commandercup

The gameplay is really, really meh. Hopefully it'll change a bit once the game progresses, but so far it's been all the same with some different artwork. That being said, the different art styles are freaking awesome and I love the writing! So all in all: Jeff wins.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By MildMolasses
    @thabigred said:
    My biggest problem I found was with the slide button. Sometimes I would try to jump I would slide which fucked me up. Also I never found any spots where "I had to just push ahead" every spot in the game you could methodically move forward. that was my experience.  "

I don't know why they (the game I mean) tell you to do the slide by hitting down and jump. The left bumper button is a dedicated slide button. It make a hell of a lot more sense to just use that, yet they don't tell you to. It also makes sense not to map two totally different movements to one button

And yes, I agree with what Jeff said. It's a great game except for the parts where you play it
    DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By DocHaus

As others have said, somehow the hilarious writing makes up for the otherwise mundane gameplay where you have to shoot waves of cannon fodder. The saving grace being that unlike, say...Contra, you don't have to worry about losing a finite number of lives.

I found the shooting gets easier if you use the right trigger instead of X, that way you can aim and run at the same time, though I would have preferred a different aiming scheme altogether and maybe a few more in-level upgrades like Gunstar Heroes.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By donchipotle

I would've liked it better if I could shoot both my guns in different directions at the same time. Because fuck those guys that attack you from behind.

Pitta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pitta

I agree in regards to the generally poor gameplay, but I didnt find it all that difficult. It's a shame that upgrading your stats doesnt really feel like it does anything. I dont know what to tell you if you think its too hard. Its NOTHING like Mega Man 9 & 10 - Those are brutal

Avatar image for fish_face_mcgee
    Fish_Face_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Fish_Face_McGee

Throughout the game, I couldn't help but wonder if Twisted Pixel just hated the people who play their games or something.  I mean, between the poor contrast on the Manga levels ("Gray attacks on dark gray background? EVERYONE WILL BE ABLE TO TELL NOTICE THEM!") and them actively mocking their shitty checkpointing while forcing you back half the level or more when you die, it seems like this was all intentional, and that's not a good thing.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SeriouslyNow

I'm still disappointed that Jeff didn't mention or didn't notice the Time Cop reference in the teleport vehicle which takes you to missions.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By granderojo

The check pointing system wasn't that bad.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DrPockets000

I'm going to have to disagree with Jeff on this one.  So far I'm really digging the gameplay, and doing one level per sitting delivers just enough gameplay for me.  So far it hasn't been too frustrating, just pleasantly challenging. 

Either way, I'm really enjoying it and I am now a proud Twisted Pixel devotee.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

I enjoy the gameplay. I might just be a bastard.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By FlipperDesert

Goddamn it I feel so bad for not completing this game yet, but fuck the game part of this game. There is nothing fun about the bosses.

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Raymayne

Yep, the gameplay is shit. The fact that enemies are bullet sponges is nothing to do with teaching you to be methodical, it's just padding for a very crap game. I fucking love Twisted Pixel, Splosion Man was my xbla goty last year, but Comic Jumper is pathetic. It's funny, but not fun.

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MaddProdigy

I disagree. I think they could have had all the epic hilarious stuff in there, and still made the gameplay more interesting. Seriously, some of the most boring gameplay I've seen in a game in a very, very long time. You're doing nothing but moving slowly across the screen, holding the fire button.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By LiquidPrince

I like it, but I sometime agree that the enemies take too much damage. I upgraded my weapons pretty much all the way and I still have to sometime shoot for extended periods of time.

Ho_Blivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ho_Blivion

When I hear a reviewer say "everything about this game is awesome except for playing itI don't expect to see a 4 out of 5 stars. But maybe that's just me.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By GunstarRed

I actually enjoyed playing it  for the most part and found it hilarious. There was only really one part that drove me insane and that was the final manga boss, far too much shit going on thats far too hard to see. I often found that it was kinda random whether youd beat a boss due to what attack pattern it was going to use.
    Scapegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Scapegoat
    @Ho_Blivion said:
    "

When I hear a reviewer say "everything about this game is awesome except for playing itI don't expect to see a 4 out of 5 stars. But maybe that's just me.

"
    I dunno - I feel the same way. The main "game" portion I found to be really average and not that fun. The easiest gameplay segments, the 2-button beat'em up sequences and the cinematic quicktime events, I found the most fun. The humor and presentation overall made it worth paying for/playing.  

Tip to those still playing - buy the bonuses along the way - buying the bonus unlockables also gives you a bonus percentage of any money you earn. Really good around the time you find you can't afford an upgrade after completing a level.
    Titl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Titl

It's one of the most frustrating games I've played in a while. The gameplay is super repetitive, There are literally no way of getting health back except for dying. But it's worth it for the non-game parts. I love the double standard in the paper pals issue. 

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RVonE
    @Ho_Blivion said:
    "

"

That just goes to show how amazing certain aspects of it are. Everything that isn't the game part is of exceptional quality. And it isn't that the game part is really bad, it's just not very enjoyable.
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By agentboolen

I have yet to play Comic Jumper but Splosion Man was a brilliantly fun plateformer.  At this point I won't concider paying $15 for Comic Jumper, I'll wait till its on sale and even then I might not buy it.

briggs713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By briggs713

Just purchased... and am immediately regretting it.  I will see it through to end because of the humor but the game-play is so boring.   I don't usually mind repetitive game-play but c'mon.  I just finished the first comic and I honestly thought it was a joke.  How many times can they throw the same group of enemies at you.  'Splosion Man was a lot more entertaining albeit not as humorous. 

Warskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Warskull

The gameplay can be challenging, but the shooting sections aren't all that interesting.  It's a challenge, but not one I'm all that interesting in.  I think part of it is the pacing of the levels, they feel slow.  Compared to the tight controls and brilliant design of 'Splosion man it pales in comparison.  That said the gameplay isn't necessarily bad, it is passable.  The game is just carried by its sense of comedy more than its gameplay.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By audiosnag

I agree with Jeff. The gameplay isn't bad..its just ok.
    It feels like they were trying to go for a metal slug-esque experience but its not nearly as fun.
    That being said the game is so goddamn funny it almost doesn't matter.
    I'd have no problem recommending it to anyone, I love it.

zidane_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By zidane_24

I agree with Jeff's opinion. My biggest issue with the game is the slide vs. jump issue. There's a dedicated slide button (LB), so it's never an issue of me jumping when I want to slide. The only issue comes when I try to jump, and end up sliding. Just make LT a jump-only button and we'd be fine. Keep the A button as both, for all I care. 

Theologian78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Theologian78

Honestly, I didn't find the game that hard.  After a bit of trial and error, I got the pace of the game down and I don't think I had to fight any boss more than 2 or at the most 3 times.  I can't say that for all kinds of other games including Halo Reach, Alan Wake, or Read Dead Redemption.  There were certainly moments where I was frustrated, but the overall play was just fine I thought, it just wasn't the "run and gun" kind of game it first appeared to be.  Of course, once I leveled up my guns, it did turn into that game.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Karl_Boss

Yeah the gameplay is extremely mediocre. Didn't stop me from getting in the top 10 in the world on a few of the stages though.

karatetron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By karatetron

Fuck the gameplay.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.