Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crusader Kings II

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Apr 18, 2012

The sequel to Paradox Interactive's Crusader Kings is a grand strategy game that focuses mostly on the dynasties of medieval Europe. Games begin as early as 769 and can span until 1453. Expansions have expanded the game's scope to include the Middle East, India and the Eurasian Steppe.

Is the DLC worth it in the Steam Sale?

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
    deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

The expansion packs (Sword of Islam, Legacy of Rome, The Old Gods) are worth it. All the cosmetic stuff (music packs, dynasty shields) are skippable.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

The expansion packs (Sword of Islam, Legacy of Rome, The Old Gods) are worth it. All the cosmetic stuff (music packs, dynasty shields) are skippable.

Yep. The expansions are all fantastic, cosmetic stuff is nice for flavor but it won't hurt the game to not have it. Still for that Vikings dlc, you gotta get those beards

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

I honestly think the portrait packs are vital imo.

The expansions are worth it, but only get Sword of Islam if you want to play muslims and the republic if you want to play as... a republic.

Legacy of Rome is vital, and get sunset invasion if you're fine with ahistorical business.

The Old Gods, though, si the most vital of the bunch. It adds so much...

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By breadfan

@animasta said:

Sort of thought you were crazy for suggesting that people buy the portrait packs, but after playing a few hours of Old Gods I can see where you are coming from. Much easier to differentiate who you are dealing with, I guess.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@breadfan said:

@animasta said:

Sort of thought you were crazy for suggesting that people buy the portrait packs, but after playing a few hours of Old Gods I can see where you are coming from. Much easier to differentiate who you are dealing with, I guess.

You can't have Old Gods without them beards!

More worth it than Horse Armor, I'd say!

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#8  Edited By Atlas

I know the sale has expired so this isn't super relevant, but I can definitely speak to the quality and depth of the DLC.

Sword of Islam and Old Gods both add a significant amount of gameplay and depth to the game, and to a certain extent so does the Republic. The Legacy of Rome makes playing as the Byzantine Empire a bit more unique and interesting, but doesn't add much depth to it compared to the others, and the Byzantines were never that fun to play as to start with. Sunset Invasion, take it or leave it, and as others have said, the cosmetic packs are fairly pointless, but at the same time the whole game is staring at the same map screen and portraits for the entire time, so anything that adds a bit of variety to the experience will add a lot for people that care about that stuff.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

@breadfan said:

@animasta said:

You can't have Old Gods without them beards!

You just validated my purchase of the portrait packs and the units packs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.