Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dance Central

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Nov 04, 2010

Made by famed music-game developer Harmonix Music Systems, this is the original dancing rhythm title that utilized the Kinect for Xbox 360.

Konflicted about Kinect

bcjohnnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By bcjohnnie

Ugh, so despite a pretty poor showing at E3, and my general lack of interest in motion controls in general, I have to say the GB videos of Dance Central have me super interested in Kinect.  Additionally, Amazon is offering $30 off Kinect plus one game.  I'm not saying $170 is cheap, but it's just low enough to get me thinking about getting it... plus I have a good amount of Amazon credit from deals and coinstar and stuff.

Anyway, my main problem is that I've still seen no direct indication of how good Kinect is at gauging your actual movements and giving feedback.  I've heard vague statements about it being pretty good in Dance Central.  Also, it is so unclear how well this will perform in my living room, since I don't know anything about min/max distance, or how the back wall will affect sensitivity.

Also, I've heard nothing about any big Kinect game announcements after launch.  Sure, Fable III might have some support, but I really need games dedicated to the tech to sell me, I'm not switching between control schemes mid-stream.

Anyway, this is my struggle.  Dance Central looks fun, and I could use the exercise in "game" form, but I am worried that MS is going to abandon this thing after launch or something.

bcjohnnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By bcjohnnie

Ugh, so despite a pretty poor showing at E3, and my general lack of interest in motion controls in general, I have to say the GB videos of Dance Central have me super interested in Kinect.  Additionally, Amazon is offering $30 off Kinect plus one game.  I'm not saying $170 is cheap, but it's just low enough to get me thinking about getting it... plus I have a good amount of Amazon credit from deals and coinstar and stuff.

Anyway, my main problem is that I've still seen no direct indication of how good Kinect is at gauging your actual movements and giving feedback.  I've heard vague statements about it being pretty good in Dance Central.  Also, it is so unclear how well this will perform in my living room, since I don't know anything about min/max distance, or how the back wall will affect sensitivity.

Also, I've heard nothing about any big Kinect game announcements after launch.  Sure, Fable III might have some support, but I really need games dedicated to the tech to sell me, I'm not switching between control schemes mid-stream.

Anyway, this is my struggle.  Dance Central looks fun, and I could use the exercise in "game" form, but I am worried that MS is going to abandon this thing after launch or something.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By ProfessorEss

I totally feel ya Johnnie. 

Luckily, I have a wife who is probably going to buy Kinect before I even have to start stressing out about the inevitable buyer's remorse that would follow (and I thank you for that Harmonix).

I'm not worried about MS abandoning it as much as I'm worried about developers not figuring out how to make great games for it, and it becoming a mini-game collection / shovelware pump.

bcjohnnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bcjohnnie
    @ProfessorEss said:

I'm not worried about MS abandoning it as much as I'm worried about developers not figuring out how to make great games for it, and it becoming a mini-game collection / shovelware pump. "

Yeah, like the Wii... I guess that's what I mean mostly.  Somehow, I have this inherent faith that Sony will end up with a lot more good software for the Move, despite the fact that what they're showing for launch (and after launch, so far) is completely uninteresting to me.  If the Move had a killer app at launch I would be much more inclined to go that way, because I think that precision has a lot of potential.

The Kinect, much like the Wii, just screams "BAM there it is," with imprecise controls and half-assed implementation.  Harmonix seems to be the only developer that really embraced the technology and used it to create something new and compelling, not just Wii Sports Kinect or Nintendogs Kinect.
    paradox121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By paradox121

I think it all comes down how much you want the game vs how much you're willing to dish out on something you may not use come a few months time. For the most part, the Kinect is gonna be bombarded with shovelware because, like the Wii, if you can make a game where general waggles seem to do stuff then you can save your company time and money in development. I think Christmas will be the Kinect's tipping point really. If sales go well, developers may see it as a worthwhile venture and make half decent games for it. If not, you'll just see the Kinect slowly die away, which could ultimately be good for you since you could pick up the Kinect and DC for cheapsies. But yeah, if you're in no rush to play it, wait for Christmas, see how it does, and go from there.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @bcjohnnie said:

I have this inherent faith that Sony will end up with a lot more good software for the Move

Move has the opposite problem for me.

Most of the stuff seems like it's not Move exclusive, it includes Move functionality. If they're releasing the games I want with both Move and controller support, well, I probably won't buy Move cause I really like controllers.
    bcjohnnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bcjohnnie
    @ProfessorEss:  Yeah overall I get that, but after seeing some of the Move stuff, I really think it's finally bringing the precision that the Wii always lacked to motion control.  I think the main reason I'm not interested in Move is what you said, most of that stuff doesn't require the hardware, so what's the point.

Dance Central is software that can't really be used with anything but the Kinect, and it seems to use it well (although I'm still mostly concerned about sensitivity).  I don't really care if I can use a move controller to play an FPS (although that may be fun), but I still think the potential of the Move is pretty good if it is supported well by developers.

@paradox121:   I think my main problem is what you point out, most developers are too scared to commit to this hardware until they have assurances that the hardware will sell, and then we just get shovelware that people buy to justify buying the hardware.  I think what pisses me off is that the "First-party" software for Kinect all looks sooo kid-oriented, and none of it looked particularly fun to use at E3.  As cute as Skittles is, I would have preferred at least one game at launch that tested the hardware, besides Dance Central.
    sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By sixpin

I too am reluctant to invest in either Move or Kinect. I am not a big fan of motion controls in general and the software itself doesn't really appeal to me. The only exception to that being Kinect's Dance Central. Even with the interest that I have in Dance Central it is really difficult to justify almost $200 (Kinect + Dance Central) for something that I may or may not even play that much. The monitary commitment comes back into play again when I have to think about what other games that would be compeating for that $200. Overall I think I'm in a wait and see with both products. I don't want to have another Wii-like thing just gathering dust in my home.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.