Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Blood, souls, and tears are continually spent as players traverse the land of Drangleic in FromSoftware's third entry in the Souls series.

Balanced vs. min/max build experiences

ragnarok7038

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ragnarok7038

Now that we've all gotten some time to get used to the tweaks to stats and the new level scaling, how have you found that it effects the way your characters play. Is min/maxing certain stats the only way to go when it comes to PvP, or is it possible to still be lethal with a more balanced build.

I'm about halfway through my first play through, and with a pretty balanced melee build that leans toward strength I've had little trouble in PvE, but I'm afraid if I start doing more PvP that my stats are woefully misallocated.

I doubt there's a definitive answer yet, which is why I want to know your experiences with how you've been building and how well prepared you've been.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Grissefar

I think they sort of killed min/max builds by spreading out the effects to 17 different stats, and by introducing diminishing returns already after a stat hits 20. It feels like you gotta have some of it all to be viable, and not just spam vit/end + a third stat, and that's probably a good thing.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By cloudymusic

It seems like you're definitely intended to go hybrid STR/DEX or INT/FTH to some extent. Pyromancy and hexes both scale from both magic stats so you're stronger if you put points into both, and most melee weapons seem to have both STR and DEX requirements on some level. ADP is somewhat useful to everyone. Roll speed also is less breakpoint-based than it's previously been, so there's less of an "optimal" value to shoot for in that department. The only ones that seem particularly skippable to me are ATN and VIT depending on your build. (Ignoring STR/DEX for pure casters and INT/FTH for pure melee users.)

I'm sure the hardcore PvPers will stumble across some really busted builds, but I think min-maxing will be somewhat less of a thing than it has been in the past.

Personally, my current build is (if I remember right) 40 INT, 30 ATN, 24 FTH, 21 ADP, 16 VGR, 10 STR, 9 DEX, 7 END, 7 VIT. Focusing mostly on magic but with enough strength/dex to use a 90% shield and an enchanted longsword. Stamina has never been a huge issue for some reason.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

I feel like a lot more testing needs to be done, especially with regards to the agility stat and diminishing returns, to get to true min/maxing.

I agree that melee users seem to be encouraged into Quality (STR/DEX) builds, with a lot of weapons that require quite a bit of both. Not sure how I feel about that, given that Vigor, Endurance, Vitality and probably Adaptability are also a must for melee characters. Then again, they just THROW levels at you in this game, and by no means do I think 120 will be the "unofficial" PVP level cap. I can see it being a lot closer to 150, give or take. We'll see how it shakes out. Honestly for PvE min/maxing isn't really a thing, so long as you don't spread your points out willy-nilly.

So far, my main character uses a greatsword 2-handed, no shield, because shields slow stamina regen. At SL 121 (not finished with the game yet) I have 26 vigor, 26 End, 31 VIT (precisely enough to hit 70% with my gear - Vengarl's set with Engraved Gauntlets, Greatsword, Dragonrider Bow and Second Dragon Ring+3 others depending on the situation), 34 STR, 18 DEX, 26 ADP and base ATN, Faith and Int. It's somewhat min/maxed, but I do play around with it and I have 4 respec items.

My other character's a faith build, and it seems really strong. Offensive miracles are no joke, and there are a fair amount of weapons that scale with faith/lightning.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

As a melee build, I've been spreading my points around quite a bit. I've got about 20 points each into VIT/VIG/END/DEX/ADP, and about 12 points into STR. At this point, I feel like 20 VIG and END is "enough" to manage combat and I also have enough VIT and STR to wield the equipment I want, so I'll probably start to invest more heavily into DEX and ADP with points going into other stuff as needed.

In particular, I find that ADP is a stat that really needs investment, particularly if you want to PvP. I generally don't PvP, but I find that I've been wrecking the people that invade me because I can react so much faster. A lot of them come in with really big great shields, but can't get them up fast enough after an attack to stop me from getting in a few hits.

I haven't invested at all in ATN/FTH/INT. That works OK since I don't cast at all, but there are certain NPCs that won't talk to you unless you have a certain level of a stat. I had one guy in the No-Man's Wharf area straight up tell me my character was too stupid to talk to him.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.