Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Blood, souls, and tears are continually spent as players traverse the land of Drangleic in FromSoftware's third entry in the Souls series.

Swordsman or Knight?

xDrac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By xDrac

So... I played the first Dark Souls (however, never actually finished it, only played like half of it or so) -> I am not a total souls pro.

And I was wondering... I really like Dual-wielding but I am afraid of it just being too much of a challenge seeing how I'll be unable to block (right?), so I decided to come on here and get some opinions from more experienced players who already played the game - I am waiting for the PC port of DS2.

I am unsure of whether to go with dual-wielding or to engulf myself in heavy armor with a shield and hope for the best? How is dual-wielding anyway? Considering its new to the soul series (I think)?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2 chaser324  Moderator

For future reference, please create threads related to a particular game in that game's forum. General Discussion should be used for threads about general gaming topics.

xDrac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For future reference, please create threads related to a particular game in that game's forum. General Discussion should be used for threads about general gaming topics.

Oh, I didn't post in the Dark Souls 2 section? Sorry if I didn't - I'm kinda new in here.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

I would go with Knight. He starts out with one sword and no shield and you can get the feel of dual wielding early on. If you like it - you can go down that path.

Starter class doesn't really matter all that much in the grand scheme of things. You can build your character however you want, the starting class just decides how you begin your DS life.

If you are new to the series (or not a pro like you said) the shield is going to be key. Playing a high dex build (moving around a lot, dual wielding, etc.) can be very tough. I would save that for a second playthrough if that's your thing. Learn with a shield.

Silvergun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Silvergun

Something to consider with Dex builds is that in addition to your swords/spears, you also make a really good archer. Arrows aren't exactly tough to come by, and being able to switch to ranged damage on the fly can make a lot of fights a lot easier.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well keep in mind, ANY starting class can do anything they want. So if you really want to dual wield, you can still play a knight, grab anohter weapon put it in your other hand and go to town. You can get a shield witht he dual swordsman and be just as good (the swordsman was my starting class).

I'd recommend the knight for anyone remotely new tot he series though. The swordsman has pretty low HP. The knight starts with the best starting armor and the highest HP making him pretty ideal for newer players.

Dual wielding is kinda cool, i still havent gotten it down yet, i don't quite understand what you need to do that power stance. But regardless, you're gonna want a shield for certain parts. I've been playing with a weapon and a shield in my left hand (you can have 3 items in each hand)

xDrac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thing is, I suppose a dual-wielding build requires entirely different stats than a sword-and-board build would require, right? So yeah... And also, thank you for the answers, they are very much appreciated!

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By LegalBagel

I'd say Knight. Swordsman has very low health and armor, which makes your margin for error really small, in addition to lacking a shield to block and play defensive. Sword and shield with reasonable armor and health are probably the best way to learn the combat. Also, for reasons unknown, in addition to having low armor, the Swordsman also has lower adaptability, which factors into your dodging ability. So he's pretty much all offense.

Keep in mind though, that pretty much any class can become anything.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.