Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Invisible War

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Dec 02, 2003

The sequel to one of the most acclaimed PC games of all time, Deus Ex: Invisible War throws you into a divided world, where multiple factions wish to take advantage of your cybernetic abilities. Playing as Alex D., you make your own path through corrupt leaders and worldwide conspiracies.

Let's talk about Deus Ex 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

When I re-evaluated Invisible War for the first time about a year ago, I became infuriated by the hatred people had for it. While it may not have had exactly the same impact as its predecessor, IW moved to franchise forward in ways that were necessary. It may not have been entirely successful with every alteration or new mechanic, but it remained, unquestionably, a Deus Ex game.

Here's my initial thoughts after playing it again last year (from another IW related thread):  

"Deus Ex 2 streamlined the original games mechanics (much like mass Effect 2 to ME1. In this respect was well ahead of its time - you don't hear many people complaining about the unweildy elements of the game being removed), had an arguably better story, a more involving world and a better art style. I hate the stigma surrounding Invisible War. Though I prefer the overall experience to the first game, I suppose the furious anger it encourages from PC gamers encapsulates the problem with that medium as a whole: it's partially elitist while being stuck in the past and totally disregards console gaming. I love PC gaming, but when people started spewing vitriol about Deus Ex 2, the death knell was sounded.  " 

So I re-installed it earlier this afternoon, played a few hours and... lo and behold, I feel exactly the same. The introduction is messy, granted;  ultimately, however, the game retains a typically DX conspiracy-laden story, some great action and, most importantly, a vibrant universe. 

So I put it to you: what is it, exactly, about Deus Ex: Invisible War that many of you hate so passionately. 

For your consideration, here's an article on the subject from RockPaperShotgun

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By eroticfishcake

It's been a long while since I've played it but from I can remember the game was really short. I finished it in about a day on normal difficulty. I don't know whether that was just me or the game's fault but considering the length of the original I felt disappointed. All the better though because the game dealt with ammo in a stupid way. Universal ammo that can be used with all weapons. Sounds alright on paper until you realise that you very quickly run out of ammo during fights not to mention that I really enjoyed using different types of ammo in the orignial. Also the the augmentations felt dumbed down, not as cool nor useful. Don't remember anything regarding skills.

As I said before, it's been a while since I've played it so I could be wrong on a few spots. I don't hate the game per se but more like disappointed.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Controls where real real real real loose..never really liked the second one. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eroticfishcake: Nope, you're pretty much spot on with your criticisms. It was shorter than the original (though, I'm not sure it was particularly short), and universal ammo was a ridiculous misstep (read: fucking stupid).

Like I said, there are definitely some failings, but it did so well in other areas. I actually quite liked the stripped-back mods, but I'm looking forward to a more in-depth system come Human Revolution.
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By mracoon

I enjoyed DE:IW and I've never understood why it received so much hate. I'll agree 100% that it was nit as good the original but it still had a lot of good things going for it.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By august

The characters are totally forgettable. The story isn't great. The ideas presented are kind of interesting, but it's impossible to care about. The levels are chopped up and tiny as hell and not fun to negotiate. The combat is boring. Early on you can unload multiple shotgun blasts into a dude's face with no discernable effect.

It's just not really a good game.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @GetEveryone: I was afraid of that. But those aside I really wanted to enjoy the game and there are a few things that I really enjoyed about it (conceptually anyway). But yeah, games like these are a constant reminder for me not to get overexcited about sequels to great games. Human Revolution looks really promising from what I've seen so far apart from the combat which looks slightly off to me. The game won't be released in while though so I'm sure they're polishing off some bits and pieces and I also certainly don't expect it to be as influential as the first game.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Brendan

The ammo was so scarce in numero 2 that I feel like it didn`t give you as much flexibility in approaching levels as did numero 1.  I got in one gunfight near the beginning of the game and barely fired another shot until the second to last level.  That method was not by choice.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @GetEveryone:  i recently got both Deus Ex games but havent played them yet, when i beat both of em i'll report back :P  gonna take a while since im also playing STALKER and Mass Effect 2
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Deus Ex is a great FPS/RPG that caters to each's play style Be stealthy. Be combative. Be persuasive. Hack terminals. You don't have to kill anybody throughout the whole damn game. The art style and universe was very unique and bleak, and demonstrated possibility that this may happen to our world if it gets out of hand with political greed and corporate dominance.

Deus Ex IW is a shooter with useless stealth mechanics, an unoriginal sci-fi setting (too much high-tech, less urban grittiness), and overly-simplified hilariousness. People must understand that when a game has multiple dynamics between play-styles (ala System Shock 2, Planescape Torment,  Fallout1/2, and many older games in the past) that if there's one playstyle that is superior compared to the rest (Bioshock, and many modern RPG/FPS hybrids) then the player will always, and I mean ALWAYS, will use that playstyle on his first experience unless for experimentation. Deus Ex, on the other hand, was balanced enough to where you can play the way you want. While System Shock2 did this better, Deus Ex sure as hell did it near its level. It's sad that games are no longer RPGs to where you can get through a level without killing a single thing; they are now about killing shit, gaining experience, and continuing on a linear path.  

Mass Effect2, despite how great of a cover-based story driven shooter it was, wasn't a good RPG and shows how much gamers are dwindling in their intellectual thought processing on what they must do, and how they can achieve it. With linear corridors and mission points doing all the handy work, the true definition of "RPG" is now customization, black and white morals, weapon modding, damage rates, experience, and simplified character development. It's sad, really.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Jimbo

They streamlined the soul right out of it.  It was bad by Deus Ex standards and mediocre by any other standard (actually it's probably brilliant by today's standards).  The shitty box art represents everything that was wrong with it.

DiscoDuck8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By DiscoDuck8k

It was one of my favorite games, played through it so many times just like the first. I had fun with character interaction and exploring the game world, though admittedly a lot of it is terribly small/lesser in comparison. I guess that's what bothers people, still Deus Ex at heart but heavily scaled back. 

What do I hate? That Microsoft never bothered to make it compatible with the 360, so my Xbox copy will never be played again.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By nintendoeats

I actually tried to play it recently (I had played through a bit of it before) and I am willing to bash it on technical issues alone. The xbox version has a god-awful framerate and the PC version didn't run on my first computer, ran dreadfully on my second computer (which ran XP and had hardware released long after the game), and won't run at all on my modern Windows 7 machine. What I have played was ok (not amazing), but it didn't make up for the technical problems that I was having. It didn't even look all that great.

Deus Ex on the other hand runs just fine and had pretty much everything that I had liked about the sequel, so I'm going to say that people should stick with that if they want the definitive DE experience.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NTM

I got past my local city of Seattle and was done with the game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Tru3_Blu3: Great write-up. I agree whole-heartedly with your ME2 break-down - I adore that game, but it falls so short in certain areas. Personally, the world felt neutered. Not the universe, as that remains rich, but the actual explorable world felt very limited this time around. Though, this may have been a problem with the original, too.. Conversely, I feel that IW's smaller areas worked wonders - but I just can't see eye to eye with your IW analysis. It encouraged varying play-styles, perhaps artificially (with different levels emphasizing a certain approach), but allowed you freedom to go about in whichever way you deemed appropriate. 

"if there's one playstyle that is superior compared to the rest (Bioshock, and many modern RPG/FPS hybrids) then the player will always, and I mean ALWAYS, will use that playstyle on his first experience unless for experimentation."

From my own experiences, I can tell you that this just isn't the case. 

Still, its a fair take on it. 

Edit: Some really split opinions so far. Interesting... *strokes beard*
    Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By tim_the_corsair

It felt tiny, claustrophobic in a way that had nothing to do with the setting, and everything to do with the level size limitations. This made a huge difference to the feel of the game.

Combine that with an incredibly generic setting that tossed out all the near future government/corporate conspiracy theories and replaced them with generic, Dune-lite sci-fi, and you've got a game with a vastly inferior feel.

Add in overly-simplified gameplay compared to the original (I hate the phrase 'dumbed down for consoles', but in this case it is exactly what Ion Storm did, even though console gamers would have handled the more complex stuff just fine), and you have a game that is pretty good on it's own merits, but inferior to it's progenitor in every single way.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xyzygy

I loved the game with a passion. And to me it looks like Deus Ex 3 will be a natural evolution of the 2nd game and that's why I'm excited for it.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Binman88

I might give it a try. I played a tiny bit of the demo a few years ago, but was too put off by the negative stories about it that I never considered purchasing it.

Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mrskidders

I liked it, I loved Deus Ex and I am pissing myself with excitement over the next one.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Binman88 said:

" I might give it a try. I played a tiny bit of the demo a few years ago, but was too put off by the negative stories about it that I never considered purchasing it. "

...and suddenly the thread seems worth it :) 

Definitely give it a shot, bro. Go in with an open mind; hopefully you'll find something to enjoy.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By eroticfishcake

Actually Tru3_Blu3 just reminded me of something. I managed to play through the first one without killing anybody at all through means of  tranquilzer darts, tear gas, batons and sneaking. It was a challenge but very satisfying by the fact it was actually possible. A concept that you don't get very often in many games. You just couldn't do that in IW because it was so damn linear.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Binman88
    @GetEveryone: I'll probably wait til it goes on sale on Steam before picking it up. Although it's only €10, I spent too much money this week to justify it, and will end up kicking myself when it inevitably goes on sale this holiday!
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Despite how much I enjoyed the first one, I never played IW. Or maybe it's because I know I'm going to be dissapointed.

But I'll probably give it a shot before Human Revolution comes out.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By Undeadpool
    @GetEveryone: @Tru3_Blu3:  
    Have you tried "The Witcher"? While it doesn't have the variation in play-style that you're talking about (though to be fair, Fallout 2 never had the "get through the whole game with 0 combat" and Fallout 1's version of that made the game about 30 minutes long and you had to already know where everything was), it has a truly compelling morality system (Tru, I noticed your issue with "black and white" morality) that truly does not tell you what's right and wrong, it simply lets you make your own decisions. 
    For example: the big conflict which you must choose a side in is between a group of non-human (elf, dwarf) terrorists who aren't afraid to murder innocent people to get their point across, or a group of racist knights who want to see ALL elves and dwarves driven from the land, not simply ones that are part of the group. Anyway, give it a look if you haven't already.
    Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Stahlbrand

Quick question:

The screenshots on the game's page here are super-ugly, I don't remember it looking that bad when I played the demo - I remember it barely running on my computer then, but not for looking like an N64 game.

How does it look and run on modern hardware?

Seeing the director's cut of the CG trailer for Human Revolution made me wonder if I should have bought this game during the last steam sale...  I was completely turned off by experience with the demo, but I love FPS/RPG combos....

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Cwaff
    @mracoon said:
    " I enjoyed DE:IW and I've never understood why it received so much hate. I'll agree 100% that it was nit as good the original but it still had a lot of good things going for it. "
    I also really enjoyed my time with it, I had heard to avoid it at all costs, don't do that!
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Deus Ex : Invisible War is Deus Ex hijacked into a dumbed down Unreal 2 tech demo for a console audience.  It has one ending (with 3 extremely slight variations), one gameplay style (shoot all the time, hack a spare few things for loot, answer some questions for very marginally different dialogue responses and occasionally make black/white moral choices).  It's shit.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Azteck
    @Tru3_Blu3 said:
    Mass Effect2, despite how great of a cover-based story driven shooter it was, wasn't a good RPG and shows how much gamers are dwindling in their intellectual thought processing on what they must do, and how they can achieve it. With linear corridors and mission points doing all the handy work, the true definition of "RPG" is now customization, black and white morals, weapon modding, damage rates, experience, and simplified character development. It's sad, really. "
    Fucking word, man.
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    Deus Ex was a fantastic hybrid and a genre-defining game in a way. It could be considered as one of the best albeit rather unconventional RPGs ever made. The mechanics allowed for three different playstyles and did that as well as any game since, the world felt immense, the story was complex and amenable to the player's choices, and the atmosphere was superb (I've heard crazy stories including the possibility of saving your brother as well as falling off a rooftop and finding a hidden room that fed into one of the story missions). Despite its flaws, it was an immense and insanely ambitious game.

I agree that Deus Ex: IW was a perfectly adequate and in spots good game, but the way it presented the storyline and player choices felt very contrived and obvious. I hated the mechanical changes, including that godawful ammo system, and it felt streamlined (didn't have the complicated story or world interactions of the original game), even if it was still a very good narrative. The fact is that people expect a sequel to be a 'bigger and better' version of the first game, and if you remove or significantly alter core aspects of the experience you can expect a fan backlash. Would it have been any different for Half-Life: Invisible War or Starcraft: Invisible War?

I do see where you're coming from though, it's not like it was thoroughly awful and disgraceful.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.