Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Mar 01, 2005

The third game in Capcom's popular action adventure series. This is a prequel to the original Devil May Cry and the first game of the franchise's storyline chronologically. The game saw a re-release in Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition, which added a new character, among other things.

DMC3 is pretty awesome

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Edited By FluxWaveZ

Devil May Cry 3
    Devil May Cry 3
    Of course, I suppose everyone except for me knew that already. Just finished playing it and I'm very happy that this game is much better than Devil May Cry 1 was (which I also played recently). I had practically no issues with the controls, except for one irritating platforming segment near the end of the game, and the camera didn't get in my way. I absolutely loved the combat, with the various styles and weapons at the player's disposal making for a variety of ways for one to tackle battles. I'm kind of disappointed that I stuck with the default style of "Trickster" (even though it seemed like the smartest path to take for a beginner) and if I ever play through it again, I'll be eager to experience a rather significant change in the way I fight by primarily using another style. 

The voice acting wasn't horrible, the story wasn't either and I liked the characters (and finishing this game made me wonder why Capcom decided to include Trish in Marvel vs Capcom 3 instead of Vergil). The game was fairly forgiving when playing "Gold" on "Normal" difficulty and, overall, I had a much more pleasant experience than I had with the first DMC. I'm slightly disappointed that playing Vergil doesn't offer a unique story mode, but he still plays differently enough to make it worth it.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Devil May Cry 3
    Devil May Cry 3
    Of course, I suppose everyone except for me knew that already. Just finished playing it and I'm very happy that this game is much better than Devil May Cry 1 was (which I also played recently). I had practically no issues with the controls, except for one irritating platforming segment near the end of the game, and the camera didn't get in my way. I absolutely loved the combat, with the various styles and weapons at the player's disposal making for a variety of ways for one to tackle battles. I'm kind of disappointed that I stuck with the default style of "Trickster" (even though it seemed like the smartest path to take for a beginner) and if I ever play through it again, I'll be eager to experience a rather significant change in the way I fight by primarily using another style. 

The voice acting wasn't horrible, the story wasn't either and I liked the characters (and finishing this game made me wonder why Capcom decided to include Trish in Marvel vs Capcom 3 instead of Vergil). The game was fairly forgiving when playing "Gold" on "Normal" difficulty and, overall, I had a much more pleasant experience than I had with the first DMC. I'm slightly disappointed that playing Vergil doesn't offer a unique story mode, but he still plays differently enough to make it worth it.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

They put Trish in because they went out of their way to include as many female characters as they could. Sort of like how She-Hulk and X-23 got in.  

Also, DMC3 is pretty awesome. Aside from younger/shirtless Dante and the music, easily my favorite DMC game (so favorite in terms of what matters, gameplay). 

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By rjayb89

This was probably the first beat 'em up, or hack 'n slash whatever, that I ever played and absolutely loved it. At the time, I didn't really pay attention to big publisher names and the like and thought the roaming around with a fixed camera angle was eerily similar to Resident Evil (well, when they were like that). But, yes, it is a fantastic game.

TwilitEnd656

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By TwilitEnd656

Yeah, yeah, it's awesome. I was all excited when I heard DMC4 would allow you to change styles instantly, and then I was disappointed by the severe drop in movesets. So I just drop back to DMC3 every now and then when I feel like playing. =P

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Yeah it is the best in the series which I am glad because I thought that DMC 2 had killed the franchise. 

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    " Aside from younger/shirtless Dante "
    I really liked Dante as a character in this. His nature of acting like a jerk and showing off made me look forward to any cutscene just to hear what he would say and what he would do. I can definitely see why that wouldn't appeal to many, though. I agree with the music being bad.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By BraveToaster

Yeah it's definitely the best game in the series.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By I_smell

I think this is my favourite DMC because this is where things just got flat-out dumb.

He skates around the room on a dude shooting pool balls into people shouting THIS PARTY'S GETTIN CRAYZEH!!! While the other games were about demons or whatever.
    Also the combos are FUCKING RIDICULOUS and you get ate by a giant flying whale at some point for like 3 levels just cos.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By KaosAngel

I dunno, for me DMC is still the best.  I know it's not, but it was so fucking epic when I first got it on the PS2.  -_-

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By animateria

Yup, the highest point in the series.

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Faint
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    " They put Trish in because they went out of their way to include as many female characters as they could. Sort of like how She-Hulk and X-23 got in.   Also, DMC3 is pretty awesome. Aside from younger/shirtless Dante and the music, easily my favorite DMC game (so favorite in terms of what matters, gameplay).  "
    I think it has the best soundtrack of the 4 games. Shibata did a fantastic job on this one.
    Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

I wish they released this on PSN/Xbox Live as a downloadable game. :( My PS2 broke a while ago and all I can do is stare at my box now.

tuddfudders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By tuddfudders
    Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Vonocourt

@tuddfudders said:

The music isn't all bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DNFLXIJH0U

This game was the birthing place of all the shitty techno-rock the series became known, erasing any good it brought with it. As for the gameplay, the enemies being so one-dimensional compared to DMC1 crew of ne'er do wells made the regular combat less interesting for me, even if the combat mechanics themselves were much better and more open. That the cutscenes took a more obnoxious turn also didn't really endear me to the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.