Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Devil May Cry 4

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 31, 2008

The fourth game in the popular Capcom action franchise, Devil May Cry. Take on the role of new playable character Nero, as he uses his swanky demon arm to beat the hell out of a demon invasion in the castle town of Fortuna.

need help with devil may cry 4

cooltwou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cooltwou

what is the best way to levl up in this game & do you thank playing level one over & over again is the best way or does somebody have a better idea

GiroMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By GiroMindTricks

I started by playing it on the easiest difficulty, that way you get to know the enemy and boss attack routines. Then once you've completed it once, up the difficulty a level. Rinse and repeat. That way you have all the abilities for the harder difficulties.

cooltwou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cooltwou

i am on that difficult level & i couldn't beat the bosses

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

If you are up for it on one of the chapter you can farm red orbs. It is not far into the game. Chapter 6 or 7.

cooltwou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cooltwou

i don't thank i am that far in the game

GiroMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GiroMindTricks

Which boss are you having trouble with?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Snatch is your best friend; as for bosses they generally have obvious patterns though Belial's attacks are a bit wonky but generally you can deal out more damage than he can do to you on lower difficulties. Dante is extremely tough but you can still cheese him with snatch/grabbing constantly. Get charge shot level 3 and bind shoot to a shoulder button; then hold that down perpetually for the rest of the game pausing to shoot occasionally and you'll decimate pretty much everything.

narficacid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By narficacid

Here's my two cents as a fan of this series. Getting better at a Devil May Cry game is more about learning the ins and outs of combat and exploiting the enemy patterns to build your combo. Don't think of it as "leveling up" because what you probably think you need is heath (correct me if I'm wrong). And aside from playing the same few levels for HOURS to get enough red orbs to buy all of the heath items you can from the store, there's no easy way to get that. Take that time instead to start reading the patterns that the enemies and bosses have. Once you start to "see the code" as it were, you'll get dramatically better at the game and start wondering why you had so much trouble in the first place. Hope that helps. :)

cooltwou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cooltwou

i am having problems with every boss & i need to level up more how can i do that

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By TobbRobb

Its easier to pick a spot if we know how far into it you are. The first real level is a an alright idea.

Though really, you should focus on learning the combat more. Farming orbs will get you exactly nowhere later on anyway. Take a breath and look at the bossess moves, learn their patterns and only strike when you are safe. Just running in and mashing wont let you finish it.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By IBurningStar

You don't NEED to level up. You need to learn to recognize enemy tells, timings, and better attack usage. What I'm trying to tell you is use more skill. You can only "out level" the early parts of the game, later on you won't be able to grind out orbs and you will only have your skills. Best get to sharpening them now.

GiroMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GiroMindTricks

The only way to 'Level Up' is to complete levels of the game. When you finish a level you are awarded 'Proud Souls', the number of which depends on how well you played in the level. If you keep re-playing that level you will only get more proud souls if you do better than you have before. The 'Red Souls' that you collect from enemies and various parts of the environment can only be used to by items, and these are pretty much worthless until you get onto the harder difficulties.

If you are after more health, then you could just keep replaying the early levels and buy blue orbs. This will take a very long time however and will be insanely dull.

rpgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By rpgee

@Fredchuckdave said:

Snatch is your best friend; as for bosses they generally have obvious patterns though Belial's attacks are a bit wonky but generally you can deal out more damage than he can do to you on lower difficulties. Dante is extremely tough but you can still cheese him with snatch/grabbing constantly. Get charge shot level 3 and bind shoot to a shoulder button; then hold that down perpetually for the rest of the game pausing to shoot occasionally and you'll decimate pretty much everything.

This guy knows what's up. Essentially, that and Snatch can make most enemies really simple until the higher difficulties. Just keep zooming around, blowing shit up, using your sword as a way of keep them occupied until you're reasy to fire another shot. Upgrade the Charge Shot, double jump, maybe Caliber to stay off the ground, and Snatch.

Playing as Dante's a bit trickier, but it's about being quick on your feet. Use Trickster non-stop if you have to, use the shotgun for knockback and Stinger to get in really close.

There's no really good level for grinding, apart from maybe the 6th, the one after the laboratory in the forest. If you're having trouble with the bosses, though, maybe re-assess how you play. As dumb as it sounds, slashing away with the sword over and over is not a great way to play. You would benefit greatly from staying the fuck away from everything and shooting it apart if you can.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By musubi
    @Fredchuckdave

Haha I managed to do that and rev with the default controls heh. Talk about finger gymnastics.
    Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Raven10

@cooltwou said:

i am having problems with every boss & i need to level up more how can i do that

This isn't an RPG. Leveling up isn't going to help you much. This is a skill based game. You need to master the combat to succeed. Leveling up will get you more moves and/or more health but those aren't going to make you succeed at the game. Start on the easiest difficulty and try to master the moves. If you are having a lot of trouble doing combos then there is a mode in the game where it will do the combos for you. I don't remember what it is called but you can select it when you start the game. With that all you need to do is mash X/Square and mix it up with the occasional grapple and you should be good. If you still can't beat it on that mode then I don't know what to tell you. Grinding isn't going to help you in a game like this.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@Demoskinos: Instant Rev is nice and all, but you can beat the entire game on DMD and S-Rank every level without ever using it; Nero is so much more powerful than player controlled Dante it's comical.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By musubi
    @Fredchuckdave Oh I know I did me some S Ranks on DMD. And yeah in DMC 4 Nero can pretty much toy with everyone. Killing the first Boss Belial in under 30 seconds is always a hoot.
    BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By BigBoss1911

@cooltwou said:

i am on that difficult level & i couldn't beat the bosses

If you can't get through it on easy than I don't think Devil May Cry is for you.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@Demoskinos: To be fair Nero has nothing on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSEBAukcHaU

Xel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Xel

You may just be hammering the attack button and hoping for the best. My advice is that you don't attack, instead focus on dodging every move that comes your way. When you're comfortable with dodging the enemies attacks then you can start to focus on the offence.

Check out some gameplay videos on youtube to get an idea of the flow of combat.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#21  Edited By Little_Socrates

Doesn't this belong on the DMC4 page rather than GD?

cooltwou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cooltwou

well i am stuck on the level 9 boss battle the guy named Angus he has the wings i can't beat him & i keep dieing so quick also & anybody got any tips or tell me any skills i need or something that will help me out

GiroMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GiroMindTricks

Throw his swords back at him and when he gets dazed use your devil arm. I found this video that should show you what I'm on about.

[edit] looks like that guy playing ain't very good, but you get the idea.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.