Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Aug 30, 2015

The Star Wars universe enters the fray as Disney's Infinity platform grows to include a third installment.

So many SKUs, so little understanding...

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#1 FinalDasa  Moderator

2.0, 3.0, Marvel, Star Wars, Mickey Mouse, Tron. There's clearly a tony of stuff packed into the Disney Infinity games. I understand the basics of the game, putting character toys onto a stand to summon them into the game, but I don't understand the several game iterations or how the upgrades work.

So where do I begin? What's the difference between the original Disney Infinity, 2.0, and 3.0? If I only purchased 3.0 would I be missing something? I'm a fan of Disney, Marvel, and Star Wars but I definitely don't want to have to spend a crazy amount of money just to enjoy each of them in these games.

Any help and clarification would be super appreciated.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By hassun

I think the Quick Look does address a few of those issues. The two versions don't seem to be 100% compatible.

If you haven't bought them before it's probably pretty easy. You buy the latest version. I don't think there is a guarantee this stuff will last forever though. Disney wants that money and if they can't keep selling you things they have failed in their mission.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Carryboy

Not an expert but what ive picked up from osmosis is that basically you have the 3 seperate games, 1.0,2.0,3.0. Then you have a playset that is compatable with a certain game for example 1 focused on disney disney, 2 on marvel and 3 on star wars, these playsets are your adventures but i think im right in saying they only work for certain games, then finally the characters work on certain playsets or on any game on the toy chest mode thing. Yeah your right, confusing as fuck.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
    deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Disney's official compatibility page does a pretty good job of showing what works, or doesn't work, with which version.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Each year they release a new disk (Called 1.0, 2.0 etc.) that have separate content and they release new "Play Sets" (For example, the Star Wars: Twilight of the Republic playset) that are only compatible with their respective years disk.

So if you want to play the Marvel Playsets you require a 2.0 disk, to play Star Wars (and Inside Out) you need a 3.0 disk and to play the Disney/Pixar playsets originally released you need a 1.0 disk. The stand part you put the characters on is compatible with all disks

All characters are essentially future compatible but not backwards compatible so you can use the Iron Man from 2.0 on the 3.0 disk but not Aniken Skywalker from 3.0 in 2.0. Except when it comes to Play-Sets (the "Campaigns") where each set has a specific list of compatible characters so you cant bring Yoda into the Marvel play-sets but you can bring Iron-Man into the Guardians of the Galaxy playset.

In the "Toy Box" mode, where people can make games and things kind of like Little Big Planet, can bring any character in to do any game.

Hopefully that makes some sense :) When you are buying things they all have a number on them so all the Star Wars stuff actually says "Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition" so you can knock you use that disk with it.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#6 FinalDasa  Moderator

@pazy: Ok that makes the most sense lol seems like grabbing 3.0 is the best idea and just adding 1.0 and 2.0 seems pretty easy, and maybe cheaper now.

Thanks duders

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Go with the "franchise" you can see yourself playing. As much as I love Star Wars I loved the Marvel figurines that much more, which might be the reason I'm willing to wait on this years compared to last year when it was Marvel and I grabbed a copy once it was available.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the $20 download thing on psn the same as what's on the disk or is it an upgrade kind of deal? I have 1.0 for the Wii U and was thinking about getting 3.0 for ps4. Can I just pay the $20 and buy the playsets?

RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

The campaigns (Play Sets) are locked to the different releases (1.0, 2.0, 3.0) but the Toy Box mode allows you to carry all your old figures and power discs over to 3.0.

This link goes into more details.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@rainvillain: Do all power discs work with all figures in Toy Box though? I thought in the QL they put up of 3.0 Jason tried to use a Winter Solider Power Disc but it told him he couldn't. Was that just for the mode he was in at the time?

skyline7284

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

It is also important to note that the Xbox One and Xbox 360 versions of the Disney Infinity Base (What you put the characters on) are only compatible with their respective consoles. The PS4/PS3/WiiU bases will all work across those consoles as well as PC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.