Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Double Dragon

Franchise »

The Double Dragon franchise consists of some of the most well-known beat-em-up games in arcade history.

Double Dragon 4 (Steam, PS4) 30 Jan 17

Demonsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Arc System Works is bringing Double Dragon 4 to PC (Steam) and PS4 on 30 January 2017!

It is sprite-based!

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/12/26/double-dragon-4-teaser-trailer/

My favorite part of the trailer is 1:17

Grab, to elbow smashes to the back of the head, to over-shoulder throw, to flying hurricane kick (while enemy is still in the air), to hyper flying knee (while enemy is still in the air)!

Avatar image for terminallychill
    terminallychill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By terminallychill

That's pretty rad! I could've gone for a more detailed take on the art, but I like this better than a pesudo-3D take. As someone who has fond memories of DD I'll probably cop this.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LeStephan

Awesome! DD:neon was absolutely fantastic imo and this looks to be going in a right (,though different,) direction as well.

Long live beat em ups with a little mechanical depth!

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing that bothers me about this is that Super Double Dragon was actually DD4 pretty much. Oh well.

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
    deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh wow i did not know about this, im really looking forward to this now.

Demonsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quarters said:

The only thing that bothers me about this is that Super Double Dragon was actually DD4 pretty much. Oh well.

They are calling it Double Dragon IV because the graphic style closely resembles DD 1-3 on NES. This looks more like NES than SNES graphics. In fact it looks closer to DD2 IMO.

rotten_avocado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By rotten_avocado

One thing that's crazy interesting is when you see the start screen during the trailer and it shows "versus" as a mode. Wonder what that'll be like!

Demonsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rotten_avocado: Wow great observation! I'm curious about that as well.......sounds like a ton of fun to me.

Demonsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Demonsoul

It is out right now in the US I'm downloading it right now.......I'm super pumped to play this tonight! Loved the price....only $6.99

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

6.99? That's cheaper than the arcade ports of 1 and 2

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

6.99 is way cheaper than I imagined. Probably going to wait for a QL though. Still on the fence.

Demonsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Demonsoul

Here are 69 mixed reviews from steam. After reading these it appears you will either love this game or hate it depending on if you have nostalgia for DD 1 or DD2.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/528610#app_reviews_hash

Demonsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Demonsoul

Here is a good negative steam review......it actually makes me want it more LOL

"Well, points for authenticity, I guess. Some of the design decisions are so ridiculously stupid that I can actually believe this game is from 1989. From the unavoidable enemy attacks at the top of every ladder to unavoidable spinning death traps (because the screen won't scroll far enough to trigger them until you leap onto them), they really did their research on annoying crap from the NES era. The sad part is the cheap hits / deaths are the only source of difficulty in the game. Thanks for the disappointment, guys."

Another review stated if you are older than 30 you will love it, but if you are younger than 30 you will hate it. LOL gotta love nostalgia

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WheresDerrick

This game definitely suffers from being rushed.

The enemies attack you from ladders, you can get stuck in an loop of getting punched the second your character stands up until you lose a life (you have a counter attack you can do when you stand up, but you can still get stuck in a loop) lots of missing sounds, lots of repeat fights (two Burnovs and one Abobo fight on a single screen will happen fairly often). There is no running, making the whole thing a slog, and there's a severe lack of weapons. Add to that enemies don't counter attack when they are knocked down, so if you get the timing down, you can knock an enemy down, jump, press circle to do the spinning kick as soon as they are in their standing up animation, and they will never be able to hit you, unless an Abobo catches you off guard with their one hit kill attack. The platforming is fine, you just have to wait a bit to see the pattern; it really isn't all that hard at all.

The game does a lot of cool stuff; I appreciate they didn't go full Double Dragon 2-restrictions like only having one enemy type at once or only two enemies at most (I've seen at least 6 on screen at once in DD4) and the new characters look great with the old characters, however I do not like the DD2 Billy/Jimmy sprites as it always looked like they have a missing arm. Also you can pick separate characters in VS mode.

I like the VS mode and how much you can unlock (I hope Giantbomb does another tournament!) and I haven't unlocked Tower mode but being able to unlock new characters for singleplayer sounds really really good to me. Also, finally you can pick if you want to play as Billy or Jimmy in singleplayer!

Overall, this whole thing had good ideas but fell into a cash grab/rushed product feel, which is real unfortunate. Hopefully it doesn't take 10+ years to get a new DD game, and if so, it better be in the style of Super Double Dragon.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Triple Dragon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.