Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age II

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 08, 2011

This sequel to Dragon Age: Origins features faster combat, a new art style, and a brand new, fully voiced main character named Hawke.

Aveline's Knockdown Immunity and Bosses

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Aveline gets an exclusive passive talent for knockdown immunity, which is a HUGE benefit when fighting big ass bosses, which tend to knockdown characters with every hit.  Once knocked down, it's hard to get back up again. Stonewall helps of course, but due to the warrior's stamina mechanics (stamina recovery on killing blows), there just ain't enough reliable stamina to go around.

Even Hawke can't specc knockdown immunity. Does this make Aveline the only viable tank in the game? Especially when playing NIghtmare, how much easier many things would be running with Aveline and her knockdown immunity...

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Cataphract1014

There are items that grant stun and knockback immunity.  A few rings I've seen at the Black Emporium.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Marz

Not enough stamina?   I find the Battlemaster tree really great for any tank and it has alot of stamina regeneration talents.  don't have to spec many points to get Bolster, which is free stamina and spammable.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ryanwho

My Fenris had a ton of strength so he almost never knocked over. And once I threw a valiant enchantment on everyone's armor, most people stopped falling over.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Enigma777

Not really, but she is a damn good tank. Sadly her constant disapproval to my actions means that I rarely use her.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BraveToaster

Aveline is a beast. 

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Seppli
    @ryanwho said:

" My Fenris had a ton of strength so he almost never knocked over. And once I threw a valiant enchantment on everyone's armor, most people stopped falling over. "

Did fortitude help against HIgh Dragons and such (I'm sure there's one in there somewhere)? Did specc for extra fortitude on 'Turn of Blades' sustained buff for that purpose. Didn't encounter another knockdown boss thus far to test it since I made the change. Have roughly 50 fortitude.

@Cataphract1014

said:

" There are items that grant stun and knockback immunity.  A few rings I've seen at the Black Emporium. "

Specced for knockback immunity (aka not being interrupted by incoming damage). It's a talent in the defender tree.

Talking about knockdown (sending character flying to the ground). Would be great if there was a knockdown immunity item for sale. Didn't see one in any shop of chapter 3. Was the first thing I did. Check all the shops for all the new deals. There's an expensive plate chest for sale in the black emporium with some immunity, but it's stun immunity as far as I remember. Really hoping there's such a thing. Would be quite a hassle to run a group setup with 2 warriors on Insanity.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#8  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @Seppli said:
    " Would be quite a hassle to run a group setup with 2 warriors on Insanity. "
    I'd imagine that having a 2H DPS warrior able to offtank in a pinch when there are too many mobs around and your squishies are in trouble would actually make it easier. Then again I'm playing it on Normal so what do I know.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Seppli
    @StarvingGamer said:

" @Seppli said:

" Would be quite a hassle to run a group setup with 2 warriors on Insanity. "

I'd imagine that having a 2H DPS warrior able to offtank in a pinch when there are too many mobs around and your squishies are in trouble would actually make it easier. Then again I'm playing it on Normal so what do I know. "
    Tried grouping with Fenris a couple of times. Tag-team tactics work fine, but isn't efficient and I'd rather have a melee rogue or Aveline safeguard the squishies (which is a wasteful thing to do really). Practically - there's just no way teaming up with a second melee on Insane difficulty as a twohanded warrior. Doing insane spike damage, all of which is AoE - 3000+ Mighty Blow and 2000+ Scythe and Whrilwind hits - auto-attacks going 500+ and Aura of Pain 200+ ticks. Companion characters are dying really quickly to friendly fire damage. Usually they're being one-hit killed when hit by a special attack.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Undeadpool

There's a great part in one of the final battles where the boss starts to monologue, and so stuns your entire party (and their minions) to stop interference. Except that Aveline has stun immunity, so she could still attack and do damage COMPLETELY unopposed.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Undeadpool said:
    " There's a great part in one of the final battles where the boss starts to monologue, and so stuns your entire party (and their minions) to stop interference. Except that Aveline has stun immunity, so she could still attack and do damage COMPLETELY unopposed. "
    Yea stun immunity in the last fight is funny.
    It's also possible to buy some stun immunity items for other party members for more fun.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Seppli

Stun and Knockback are not equivalents to Knockdown.

A Knockdown occurs when your character is sent flying to the ground.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By phrosnite
    @Seppli said:
    " Stun and Knockback are not equivalents to Knockdown.  A Knockdown occurs when your character is sent flying to the ground. "
    Correct. The Ethereal Golem has knockdown abilities.
    buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By buft
    @Enigma777 said:
    " Not really, but she is a damn good tank. Sadly her constant disapproval to my actions means that I rarely use her. "
    I also fucking hate her for being such a wet rag, you cant win with her.
    Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By Jedted
    @Axxol said:
    "Aveline is a beast.  "

As Isabella says: "She's a woman-shaped battering ram." :) 
    iKANNIBAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By iKANNIBAL

Mage Hawke, Anders, Avaline, Fenris is all you need for an unbeatable 4! We took down the Dragon in bone pit easily.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.