Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 18, 2014

Dragon Age: Inquisition is the third installment in the Dragon Age series of role-playing games developed by BioWare.

Lets talk about mounts baby.

MosaicM80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MosaicM80

So, they are pretty slow but has anyone found any interesting mounts? I've found very little and I feel like I'm almost all the way through the game (about 65 hours in). Just horses and harts. No dracolisks at all. No clue where to get those. No "Excotics" either sadly. I know about the war nug but I don't want that, especially at the price. I was hoping for a unicorn, gryphon or even a small dragon? Something cooler than a horse or a deer! Especially with my huge Quanri mage.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I often forget mounts even exist. I only ever use to jump my way up mountain paths that I would otherwise keep sliding down, as even if they're technically faster than walking, they weirdly enough make me feel like I'm going slower. Just no sense of speed at all when riding a mount in Inquisition.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

@yummylee said:

even if they're technically faster than walking, they weirdly enough make me feel like I'm going slower. Just no sense of speed at all when riding a mount in Inquisition.

Likely, this is due to the fact that larger models tend to appear to be traveling slower in most games due to the difference in animation. Ask anyone who's played WoW and used a big mount and a small mount and they'll notice right away.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dracolisks eventually open up from a side mission on the war table where you have the option to tame one. Not sure what procs the mission showing up. Once you clear it you get one dracolisk in your stable and Dennet starts selling others. Also more mounts show up for sale at various points in the story. Personally I just use the horses, lots of the "special" mounts look freaking weird.

I don't often use mounts however.... why? Because I can't search when mounted which means gathering resources which you have to do a crap ton of cant be done from horseback.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

There's a special mount you can get from the retailer on the higher level at Val Royeaux. Costs 10k though iirc.

You could sort of get a unicorn with one of the fancy editions. It was like a zambie horse with a sword stuck up through its head.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By csl316

Well, I wouldn't call the mount I found interesting.

No Caption Provided

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

When you give enough Dragonling scales to the researcher in skyhold it opens up a mission to tame dracolisks on the war table. There's a bunch of dragonlings in the hinterlands near one of the camps.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

You shouldn't mount babies. There are laws against that.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he's actually referring to Mounts-Baby, the Native American no one likes to talk about.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I got half of the exotic mounts from one quest on the War Table. They were all the same thing just with different colors. :/

MosaicM80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MosaicM80

@getz said:

When you give enough Dragonling scales to the researcher in skyhold it opens up a mission to tame dracolisks on the war table. There's a bunch of dragonlings in the hinterlands near one of the camps.

I think I found out too late that the research stuff also gets sold as "valuables". That still makes no sense to me why they are classified as basically junk. I'll see if I can find some more to kill.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosaicm80: Not only are they qualifyed as "valubles" but also you get next to nothing for selling them, Im starting to think this is just a "joke" and Bioware are laughing their asses off.

Regarding the mounts i have about 10 of them including the nug (the merchant sucked me in with his sale pitch) but i never use them. They dont fit in the game whatsoever.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By InternetDotCom

The Harts make the worst noise I've ever heard in my life.

Also I've been buying them all because I'm fucking stupid.

Excuse me while I also go buy some more drapery.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There shoulda been bad guys with mounts in the Hissing Wastes and they shoulda had visible health bars and probably they shoulda had attacks. I say these things only because if you're going to have a million mounts there should probably be more reason to use them.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@getz said:

@insane_shadowblade85 said:

I think he's actually referring to Mounts-Baby, the Native American no one likes to talk about.

I think he's actually making a riff on the hit song, "Lets talk about sex" by Salt n Peppa which has the famous line, "Let's talk about sexy, baby. Let's talk about you and me."

*pushes up glasses*

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I did unlock that first dracolisk. Its face when it stands in the pen looks like pure nightmare fodder.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bargainben

The mount thing just seemed like they wanted everyone to keep making content, and at a certain point they had enough assets and rigs so the team on that didnt have anythign to do. So they were like "just make horses"

"but sir almost none of the landscapes make sense for a mount and its not a big enough part of the game to really need more than the one horse-"

"MAKE SOME HORSES"

"yessir"

I'd love to know the phases this game went through. At some point mounts must have played a bigger role but then it got stripped down. So now it just looked like a weirdly robust thing where there was no need for it.

also other than the war nugs, you've got the moose things and the dragon things, both of which I believe unlock through war room missions. The real nutty stuff is behind a pay wall, unicorns come with the special edition of the game so unfortunately you can't unlock them.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bargainben: I wouldn't necessarily call it "robust:" It's just a bunch of different skins. It's just another element of customization/personalization. I ditched that starter horse as soon as I could.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@getz said:

I think I found out too late that the research stuff also gets sold as "valuables". That still makes no sense to me why they are classified as basically junk. I'll see if I can find some more to kill.

You'll get no argument from me, it's just bad design.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

@bargainben: I wouldn't necessarily call it "robust:" It's just a bunch of different skins. It's just another element of customization/personalization. I ditched that starter horse as soon as I could.

Considering the minimal role of horses in the game, it seemed like more attention was paid than I would expect. Yeah essentially its just 5 mounts with different coloration options but the descriptions would lead you to believe they also have different speed and defense values. It just seems like they had bigger plans for it at some point.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I don't really have many mounts. Since they are kinda useless I don't really go out of my way to find any. I've just been using the ones I got for getting the deluxe edition. I will say that they are a little useful in the hissing wastes, though. That area is the only time I actually wanted to use a mount.

LOTR_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I found that the mounts were handy in The Hissing Wastes, because that place was so big and flat. Besides that, ehhh, who cares right?

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't even know how to use a mount and I'm 80 hours in.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never used mounts because your party doesn't talk while you're on them. Even still, never really felt like I needed, but then again I'm the guy that never uses horses or even fast travels at all in Elder Scrolls games.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

even if they're technically faster than walking, they weirdly enough make me feel like I'm going slower. Just no sense of speed at all when riding a mount in Inquisition.

Likely, this is due to the fact that larger models tend to appear to be traveling slower in most games due to the difference in animation. Ask anyone who's played WoW and used a big mount and a small mount and they'll notice right away.

So wait it is actually faster to travel by Mount even though it feels no different? (In Dragon Age)

I never use them....it grinds my gears how party members disappear when you mount up yet they'll be walking round in circles and climbing on tables during conversations with NPCs.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flameboy84: Yes, its actually faster as long as you make it run by clicking in the left stick. Otherwise no, it walks just as slow as you do. If you don't care about searching or party chatter and you just want to get to a point on the map quickly it is much faster.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By flameboy84

@sterling:

See to me even with the left stick hit it really doesn't feel significantly faster. This is by no means me doubting you just more me pointing the finger at mounts that don't provide any momentum or sense of speed.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I just use the Red Hart Halla or whatever. Thing makes _the_ worst sound, but it's cool to ride around on a fuckin elk. Don't really have any interest in using another mount this playthrough. If I do another, I'd probably use that weird Bog Unicorn.

I only really use mounts when I'm backtracking. Otherwise there's usually something of interest often enough that the mount just becomes a nuissance.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to point out that on a mount you can jump from any height without consequence. Pretty dope,for impatient people like myself.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Never used a mount, I just jump everywhere. Except stairs and steep hills because it's faster to run up them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.