Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening is a full retail expansion pack for Dragon Age: Origins.

Did they ever explain the reason your Warden comes back? Spoilers

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Some people had their wardens die in Origins but came back in Awakenings.  Was that ever explained?  I don't know because Morrigan has my baby.

ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By ricetopher

The whole "import your dead Warden" was never given an explanation, basically they just let you retcon your ending if you didn't want to create a new character.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @SethPhotopoulos said:

" Some people had their wardens die in Origins but came back in Awakenings.  Was that ever explained?  I don't know because Morrigan has my baby. "

For the story its assumed they did not die. But if people wanted to import the person they did the work on face and body for it was allowed.

Wham

They more or less said "If this little thing did not bother you then do it." 
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#4  Edited By ArbitraryWater

How did they explain it? They didn't. It's a super lazy retcon, but what are you going to do?

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Geno

Yeah no explanation whatsoever. Which really sucked for me since I started Awakening immediately after I finished Origins, and my char died in Origins so it was a bit of an immersion-breaker. 

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By keyhunter

The main character dieing is the joke ending. They assumed only idiots would kill off their own character on their first playthrough.

Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mechanical_Ape

Is an explanation really necessary? Even if there was one, what would it be? "You're too stupid to remember your character died or decided to import it anyway so its magically alive again." The onus falls entirely on the player. If your character died, you shouldn't import it and then complain that its not dead anymore. It's not the game's fault you did it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Hailinel
    @Mechanical_Ape said:
    " Is an explanation really necessary? Even if there was one, what would it be? "You're too stupid to remember your character died or decided to import it anyway so its magically alive again." The onus falls entirely on the player. If your character died, you shouldn't import it and then complain that its not dead anymore. It's not the game's fault you did it. "
    What.

If Bioware really had any interest in maintaining perfect continuity between Origins and Awakening, they could have simply either prevented the possibility of the Warden's death at the end of Origins or blocked the importing of any clear save in which the Warden dies at the end.  It's bad storytelling on the part of Bioware, plain and simple.  That the player can opt not to do it doesn't make the fact that the flaw is there any better.
    Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Dragon Age isn't Mass Effect, there's your explanation. 

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Vonocourt

I think it was a damned if they do, or damned if they don't situation. Though I think the they could've worked out a better explanation than just "close your eyes and pretend it didn't happen."

ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By ricetopher

If I'm remembering it correctly the original idea was imported saves with dead Wardens would have the player create a new warden from Orlais (which is an option for playing Awakening). Even though the player is always given at least one way out of death in the end, some people didn't like the idea of permanent death and Bioware threw in the option to please those people, without giving it an explanation at all. 

Bad decision from Bioware to bend to such silly demands, but stupid expectations from the people. You will know if your Warden is going to die or not before it happens in the game anyway.

Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mechanical_Ape
    @Hailinel:  Yes, they could have prevented you from important a dead character, but people would have complained about not being able to do it. People don't like being denied something, even if they have no intentions of using it. That still doesn't make it Bioware's fault. If you don't like it, don't do it. It is as simple as that. Bioware shouldn't have to create a game that will hold your hand and make all your decisions for you.

I'm not claiming that they did a perfect job connecting the two games together, but people need to take responsibility for their actions, rather than try to find someone else to blame. If I make a stupid decision in a game it's my fault for doing it. If I get caught speeding, do I blame the car manufacturer for allowing the car to go faster than the speed limit? Of course not.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.