Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening is a full retail expansion pack for Dragon Age: Origins.

Is this worth playing?

igloodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By igloodude

As I'm sure you all know, Dragon Age II is coming out this Tuesday, and I just realized that I never got around to purchasing and playing through Awakening. I'm a big fan of the original game; is Awakening worth it? Or do you think I should just jump right into Dragon Age II?

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By wrighteous86

It's buggier, and less "essential" but there are some good moral choices near the end, and your choices in Awakening will show up in DA2.  It also has a number of characters that play big roles in the sequel.  It's a lot easier though, because you'll have a higher level character (assuming you transfer a Warden), and about 15-20 hours long.   I'd play it.  

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By SlightConfuse

i would play awakenings it is a solid game. Also some of the characters and decisions you make will cross over into 2. 

i don't think you need to play it inless you want your decions to carry over

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#4  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Yeah, sure. It's short (I finished it in 10 hours. Your milage may vary), kind of easy (Basically, all the new abilities are OP. Which ones? All of them), and most of the new characters aren't as interesting (Justice and Anders both appear in DA 2, so you might as well get to know them so you can accuse Bioware of ruining their characters in the sequel), but overall it's still a worthwhile experience. It's more Dragon Age, and if that's alright with you than I'd say go for it. As a plus, the fade segment in this game is actually enjoyable.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Marz

Yeah it's a good expansion. 

Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Punk1984
    @ArbitraryWater: 
     I haven't played it but I want to know how it stacks up to Bioware's other 'add-on' packs, Heart of Winter, Throne of Bhaal, Hordes of the Underdark.
    HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By HadesTimes

It was fun and there are some interesting missions in there.  But it probably isn't essential.  If you haven't bought it all ready, just wait and play Dragon Age 2 Tuesday.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Bocam

Play it, Kill Anders, Import your save and wonder why he is still alive

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#9  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Punk1984 said:
    " @ArbitraryWater:   I haven't played it but I want to know how it stacks up to Bioware's other 'add-on' packs, Heart of Winter, Throne of Bhaal, Hordes of the Underdark. "
    Heart of Winter (and by association, Icewind Dale) is Black Isle, not Bioware. But to answer your question, I think it's very much like Throne of Bhaal in a lot of ways. The highs aren't as high, the combat balance is a little wonky with all those high level abilities, and it's kind of short. Never played Hordes of the Underdark, as I found the original campaign for NWN to be... underwhelming.
    Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Punk1984
    @ArbitraryWater: I might pick Awakening up now and put off DA2 until it is cheap. Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark make up for the NWN main campaign wonderfully.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.