Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

DLC ruining experience

Nogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Nogert

Ok so the game came out yesterday In the UK and the second I launched I'm being bombarded with the choice of getting DLC, first off that is BS because it should be in the game, why is there DLC ready for the release of the game?

Then to piss me off more it's directly in my game, some guy comes up to me and asks me to help him out, but even in-game my reply is (GET DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT) do they not understand what RPG stands for it's a role playing game, I know this sounds stupid but it just completely ruined my game experience for a moment, just as I was getting into it.

ToadRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ToadRunner

damn that sucks. what a stupid thing to do. DLC in a 100 hour game is kind of pointless.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Ghostiet

Since when cRPGs fall into the role playing department?

Nogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Nogert
    @Ghostiet said:
    " Since when cRPGs fall into the role playing department? "
    No I don't role play, but it's a role playing game and it detracts from the immersion.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ryanwho

Its pretty stupid to have quest givers in the game even though all they serve to do is remind you that you have to buy DLC to do their quest. Why not just not have them in the game normally so you're not reminding people constantly that you WITHHELD content from the game so you could get people to spend more money.

Phaseshift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Phaseshift

There are 2 quest lines on DLC at launch, and the big one comes free with every retail copy, the other is 590 MS points. Stop crying and play the game its amazing...you wont miss the wardens quest.
    Feichai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Feichai

Yea I totally agree with the op, having an NPC there just to remind me I need to get the DLC is a distraction. In general I do not support where we are heading within the industry where developers can milk us post release of cash not with a released expansion but little tid bits of updates (a few new quests, some new skills, etc) that back in the day would most likley have been given for free. BUT immersion factor aside this is how they make money nowadays and if the game is worth it then I support it.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Nogert said:
    " @Ghostiet said:
    No I don't role play, but it's a role playing game and it detracts from the immersion. "
    Since when HUD's and circles under your characters help the immersion?
    Nogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nogert

Erm, I've rented this game does that mean I'm missing out on part of the game? Because I didn't receive a code and haven't downloaded any extra content.

Nogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nogert
    @Ghostiet said:

" @Nogert said:

" @Ghostiet said:
    No I don't role play, but it's a role playing game and it detracts from the immersion. "
    Since when HUD's and circles under your characters help the immersion? "
    Well for one it's necessary, without it we'd be lost, and tbh HUD sort of becomes part of the game and doesn't distract me at all.
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By CenturionCajun

Yeah, unless you buy a new copy of the game you won't have access to the companion Shale the golem unless you spend $15 to get him. It's both a thank you for buying the game and an incentive to buy a new copy as opposed to a used one.

As for the Warden's Keep content I don't really have a problem with it existing at launch. DLC is becoming a major money maker especially since more and more people are buying used copies of games. It's only a couple of hours long and has nothing to do with the main quest line. You can easily just not buy it and have more than enough to keep you busy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.