Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Dragon Age and World of Warcraft

normalpants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By normalpants

After reading most of the reviews, I was left with the impression that Dragon Age was a very challenging game even on the easier modes.  But after playing a large chunk of the game on normal, I'm finding the combat to be incredibly easy.   Not to flex my e-peen or anything, but it seems the game relies on a lot of tactics not uncommon to World of Warcraft, which is a game I've played a lot more than I would care to admit.   So just a heads up to World of Warcraft addicts, or possibly other players of mmos, you may want to consider upping the difficulty level. 
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By meteora

Well, Dave did say the combat mechanics is pretty similiar to WoW (pre-BC mind you that, the time before where you had to use crowd control abilities instead of mass AOEing in WotLK). So if you're a veteran/addict to WoW 5 man raids, you might get through pretty easily.

*shrugs*

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I do remember Dave comparing the combat in Dragon Age: Origins to the combat in WoW. I've played quite a bit of WoW myself and while I wasn't amazing at it or anything this makes me think that I might find Dragon Age a very easy game to get into.

Looka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Looka

On a side note, is it possible to change the difficulty while playing, or do you have to start a new game?

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Looka said:
    " On a side note, is it possible to change the difficulty while playing, or do you have to start a new game? "
    You can change on the fly
    TimeWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By TimeWaffle
    @Looka: yeah you can change it whenever
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By delta_ass

In a WoW five man, you only had to worry about yourself though. In DA:O, you've gotta control the entire four man party.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#8  Edited By sjschmidt93
    @Meteora said:
    " Well, Dave did say the combat mechanics is pretty similiar to WoW (pre-BC mind you that, the time before where you had to use crowd control abilities instead of mass AOEing in WotLK). So if you're a veteran/addict to WoW 5 man raids, you might get through pretty easily.  *shrugs* "
    I haven't raided in WotLK at all, but when I raided in BC we always used CC. Do you mean pre-WotLK?
    Bitemarks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Bitemarks

maybe it's just because I truly suck at RPG's but i'm playing on normal and finding the challenge level perfect for me. Actually, during some boss fights such as the Brood Mother, I had to bump it down to casual. I don't like the tedium of re-doing a boss fight a million times, which brings me to another complaint--Casual is FAR too easy. It's either beat it on Normal or feel no reward for completing a sequence.

Sinkwater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sinkwater
    @normalpants said:
    " After reading most of the reviews, I was left with the impression that Dragon Age was a very challenging game even on the easier modes.  But after playing a large chunk of the game on normal, I'm finding the combat to be incredibly easy.   Not to flex my e-peen or anything, but it seems the game relies on a lot of tactics not uncommon to World of Warcraft, which is a game I've played a lot more than I would care to admit.   So just a heads up to World of Warcraft addicts, or possibly other players of mmos, you may want to consider upping the difficulty level.  "
    Are you playing on 360 or PC?  The devs have said that the 360 is much easier than the PC version, but if you are playing on PC, kudos.  I have definitely kited a few of the harder mobs in DA, just like WoW, lol.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By meteora
    @SJSchmidt93: Yeah, sorry about that. I got it mixed up, pre-BC was the supposedly golden age of WoW, pre-WotLK was the age of CC.
    izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By izzygraze

One quick tip though. AoE has friendly fire in Dragon age.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By ArchScabby
    @turbomonkey138 said:
    " @Looka said:
    " On a side note, is it possible to change the difficulty while playing, or do you have to start a new game? "
    You can change on the fly "
    yeah, If it wasn't for the option I never would have even tried normal.  I'm glad it's there so I can play as much as I can normal, and if something is too hard I won't be stuck because I can go to easy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.