Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Is it the best RPG of the year and maybe the best of the HD era??

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Jeust

1up reviewer choose those words to classify dragon age.  

Do you agree? 

If not what is the best rpg of the HD era? 

Cheers

phonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By phonics

Probably but thats not saying much.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Red

No. Mass Effect.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By trophyhunter

I still think demon's souls is better but they are not even the same kind of rpg so it its unfair to compare them to each other

grotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By grotto

RPG's are such a personal experience, when done well, so it's extremely hard to compare them.  I personally enjoy Bioware RPG's (I guess CRPG) much more than any other type - so for me, DA:O is probably the best RPG of the HD era, with Mass Effect behind it.  I personally don't like Bethesda RPG's at all and could never keep up my interest in any of their games, but for those that aren't as picky Fallout 3 is pretty good competition. 

I might pick up Demon's Souls, just because it sounds like such an original idea, but I somehow doubt it provides the immersive experience of a Bioware title.  

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Romination

It's actually Bowser's Inside Story.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Hey man, haven't you heard? It's the "RPG of the decade."
    But joking aside, I still need to get my hands on the game to make that judgment for myself. I loved Baldur's Gate 1 and 2.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By delta_ass

No, I think Oblivion's probably the best so far.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#9  Edited By Icemael
    @Delta_Ass said:
    " No, I think Oblivion's probably the best so far. "
    I have to disagree. There are several current-gen RPGs I've enjoyed a lot more than Oblivion, Fallout 3 being one of them.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By eroticfishcake

I rather have a bunch of favourites then a single one. And I really hate the word "Best" when it comes to anything.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By delta_ass
    @Icemael said:

" @Delta_Ass said:

I have to disagree. There are several current-gen RPGs I've enjoyed a lot more than Oblivion, Fallout 3 being one of them. "
    Fallout 3 seems a lot like Oblivion, except the shooting mechanic with VATS. That kinda ruins the whole game for me.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By meteora

"Best" in anything regarding to movies, video games, music, etc. is pretty much subjective at this point.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By Hailinel

Technically, Persona 4 was released during the HD era, so no, Dragon Age is not.

In all seriousness, though, I find such praise to be mostly hyperbole.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By End_Boss
    @Icemael said:
    " @Delta_Ass said:
    I have to disagree. There are several current-gen RPGs I've enjoyed a lot more than Oblivion, Fallout 3 being one of them. "
    Agreed. I enjoyed Mass Effect far more than Oblivion... But then, I couldn't stand Fallout 3.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Icemael
    @Delta_Ass said:
    " @Icemael said:

" @Delta_Ass said:

Fallout 3 seems a lot like Oblivion, except the shooting mechanic with VATS. That kinda ruins the whole game for me. "
    They're extremely similar on the surface, but after playing both of them I found that they're actually very, very different.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By Hailinel
    @Icemael said:
    " @Delta_Ass said:
    " @Icemael said:

" @Delta_Ass said:

Fallout 3 seems a lot like Oblivion, except the shooting mechanic with VATS. That kinda ruins the whole game for me. "
    They're extremely similar on the surface, but after playing both of them I found that they're actually very, very different. "
    This is very true.  It's easy to make the empty argument that Fallout 3 is Oblivion with guns, but I found Oblivion to be absolutely no fun to play unless I was gaming the system.  The gameplay in Fallout 3 was different in many ways and better in most all of them.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#17  Edited By AgentJ
    @Red said:

" No. Mass Effect. "

No. Fallout 3 

BTW I do love Mass Effect :P
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Yukoei

GOTY.

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Adamantium

The best this year, yeah. Maybe not the HD era.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By maxszy
    @Jeust: Best of the year? Yes. Best of the HD era? No way. Though that goes to BioWare's other game, Mass Effect. I expect Mass Effect 2 to surpass it. Sure it may have had texture popping, but I would argue that when Mass Effect was running on full cylinders it is the best looking RPG of this HD era. And for being HD, that's a major component of what it would need to be. 

Dragon Age looks fine to me, but it certainly is no Mass Effect.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By Seppli

No. Actually GTA IV is the best RPG of the HD era. It just needs a special set of eyes to see the RPG nature of GTA IV. It obviously is a RPG  - isn't it?

A day in the life of Nico Bellic. That's what it did best. Eat, sleep, watch TV, take a walk, drive to a job, do a job, hang out with friends, race some dudes, fisticuffs...

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pause422

I count WRPGs and JRPGs separates so Im not including JRPGs...I would agree to it being the best RPG of the HD era and of the year(that I can remember at the moment anyway.) Any other RPG some people are saying I just think are absolutely terrible. Its not very hard for it to be the best RPG of the HD era because to me, there has been nothing but complete garbage to barely likeable RPGs at all. The only thing that gives it a run for its money to me, is The Witcher.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Diamond

I'd hope if it really was the best RPG of the year I'd actually have some interest in the game, but I don't.  Lots of the design concepts and the theme are not only unappealing to me, but actually actively turn me away from the game.

Demon's Souls is my RPG of the year, and Fallout 3 probably my RPG of this generation so far.  Both weigh heavier on action and have much more appealing design to me.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By EvilTwin
    @Diamond said:
    " I'd hope if it really was the best RPG of the year I'd actually have some interest in the game, but I don't.  Lots of the design concepts and the theme are not only unappealing to me, but actually actively turn me away from the game."
    Like what?  Just curious.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By the8bitNacho

So far, to me, yes.  The RPG genre just isn't what it used to be.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Diamond
    @EvilTwin said:

Like what?  Just curious.

The design and theme that turns me away?  The 'mature' theme which seems to rely on blood & sex to be mature.  That's what I've seen from the trailers and gameplay I watched, instead of touching on more adult subjects which might interest me more in the theme.  The story seemed very dry to me.  A sort of pseudo maturity through banality.  The design problems specifically in being a game so heavily based on dialog trees.  It wouldn't be a problem if it didn't focus so heavily on trivialities and how your group mates react towards your choices.  I like some of the gameplay design ideas, such as the way they use spells and show their damage area.  I think it is mostly the theme that's driving me away.
    Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Griddler

Mass Effect is IMO.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EvilTwin
    @Diamond:  I'm not entirely sure from that, but it seems like you haven't played the game, or at least not much?  I'm not recommending you go out and buy it right now, because I have no idea what kind of games you're into.  But, after playing the game, you might find the trailers to seem bizarre and inappropriate.  The tone of the trailers and the tone of the game feel so different (except the blood splatter on your character, that is absolutely comical and ridiculous).  That's not to say that the story is some kind of masterwork.  It's feels kind of like a typical Bioware story with more shock value.  There's some good writing, but as with most Bioware games, it's only really impressive because it's a competent story in a video game. 
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Diamond
    @EvilTwin: I haven't bought it, no.  That's what I'm getting at.  I hope if it were the RPG of the year I'd be interested.  That is, I hope I'm not so out of touch with all of what the game is that I've chosen not to play it right away by mistake.  It seemed to me when I was watching streamed gameplay that the game focused more on dialog trees than even Bioware's other titles.  There was heaps and mounds of dialog, and it was really boring for me to watch.  I think a game can focus that much on story, but the story better be damn good, and like you say it does seem like typical Bioware writing.  I'd say some of the dialog writing was very clever from what I watched, but that was the high point.  There's more to a good story than witty quips.  Even in the best case I'd probably prefer the actual combat mechanics of something like Fallout 3 or Demon's Souls.  What I've gotten out of games such as Neverwinter Nights was more along the lines of leveling up, new spells and new abilities instead of the actual combat.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Icemael
    @PeasForFees said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " @Delta_Ass said:
    " @Icemael said:

" @Delta_Ass said:

They're extremely similar on the surface, but after playing both of them I found that they're actually very, very different. "
    This is very true.  It's easy to make the empty argument that Fallout 3 is Oblivion with guns, but I found Oblivion to be absolutely no fun to play unless I was gaming the system.  The gameplay in Fallout 3 was different in many ways and better in most all of them. "
    I think you would find that many deem Morrowind Better"
    I hated Morrowind. Oblivion might not have been as good as Fallout 3, but I enjoyed it. Morrowind, I couldn't play for more than an hour. So terrible.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.