Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Just finished (possible spoilers)

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By sagesebas

holey moley what a great game, sad that its over but had a really amazing time with it. 

Looking forward to the Awakening expansion, and when the second one comes out. Now that I'm done what are some of the better dlc for this game, and I'd like to hear how every ones end game was and how they felt about the overall game. 

the better question what am i supposed to do with myself now

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Aetos

I never finished my first playthrough for whatever reason. But, about a month ago I decided to just pick it up again, and for what ever reason everything just clicked and I really enjoyed my experience. When the credits were rolling I was kinda sad.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sagesebas
    @Tactical_Kill: Me too, although I switched over to Leliana, I was still sad to see Morrigan go
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ryanwho

Loghain and Morrigan fucked so she could make a demon baby out of the dragon demon guy. And they showed this the laziest way humanly possible. Seriously, 2010 and people are still doing 5 sentence endings with still pictures.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Was it just me or were the credits in that game extremely long?
    sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sagesebas
    @ryanwho: You didn't have to go that route, But I thought it added depth to the story and made it bittersweet seeing Morrigan leave
    sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sagesebas
    @PeasantAbuse: I sat thoughr the whole thing and it must have been like over 10 minutes
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8  Edited By Geno
    @ryanwho said:

" Loghain and Morrigan fucked so she could make a demon baby out of the dragon demon guy. And they showed this the laziest way humanly possible. Seriously, 2010 and people are still doing 5 sentence endings with still pictures. "

The reason they did the credits as such was to make it modular; different conclusions for each character would be offered to each player depending on their decisions throughout the game. It was also a throwback to RPGs of old. It would've certainly been nice if Bioware did an FMV for each possible ending, but then again they probably don't have spare millions of dollars and man-years just lying around. So if by "laziest way humanly possible" you mean "practical and reasonably effective solution" then fine.  

@sagesebas: I enjoyed Awakening more than DAO (I felt it was a tighter, more consistent experience and also gave the player more freedom in terms of character customization), so I think there's still a lot to enjoy after completing DAO. 
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ryanwho
    @Geno said:

" @ryanwho said:

" Loghain and Morrigan fucked so she could make a demon baby out of the dragon demon guy. And they showed this the laziest way humanly possible. Seriously, 2010 and people are still doing 5 sentence endings with still pictures. "

The reason they did the credits as such was to make it modular; different conclusions for each character would be offered to each player depending on their decisions throughout the game. It was also a throwback to RPGs of old. It would've certainly been nice if Bioware did an FMV for each possible ending, but then again they probably don't have spare millions of dollars and man-years just lying around. So if by "laziest way humanly possible" you mean "practical and reasonably effective solution" then fine.   "
    No I mean, other games have had as many divergent options and covered the endings. So its lazy. Other people have been less lazy. You want to call every lacking feature a streamline and every lazy copout practical, that's your prerogative. There are about 8 thisrthat choices in the game that are significant enough to adress at the end, that's 16 scenes. Dear god it would take a decade, 16 short in game cutscenes? Fire Emblem is practical, Suikoden is practical. Here, a montage would be practical. Individual scenes ideal, a montage practical. They went with lazy. Again, people can like a game and not think its perfect.
    Calchas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Calchas

What would be cool is if you play Dragon Age 2 as the baby :O

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ryanwho

It would make all the sense in the world for you to play as the demon baby at some point in time. Morrigan secludes herself so nobody sees the thing till it grows up, qeue character maker, start game. They could pull a fable and have you grow horns if you get too evil.

Calchas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Calchas

It would be very awesome , and explain any magic abilities or fighting prowess he has. It would also be quite fun to see Morrigan in a mother role :P

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13  Edited By Geno
    @ryanwho said:

No I mean, other games have had as many divergent options and covered the endings. So its lazy. Other people have been less lazy. You want to call every lacking feature a streamline and every lazy copout practical, that's your prerogative. There are about 8 thisrthat choices in the game that are significant enough to adress at the end, that's 16 scenes. Dear god it would take a decade, 16 short in game cutscenes? Fire Emblem is practical, Suikoden is practical. Here, a montage would be practical. Individual scenes ideal, a montage practical. They went with lazy. Again, people can like a game and not think its perfect. "

If you played it, you will recall that Mass Effect 2 was also absent of variable cutscene endings (well it had 1, if you count the brief scene of the body count). Both games probably had budgets in the tens of millions of dollars as well as several years of development as well as extremely numerous in-game cutscenes throughout the game, so making a few extra clips at the end wouldn't be a problem from a technical standpoint. Given the aforementioned, and given that their attention to detail is almost unparalleled, it is far more likely their ending was a design decision rather than a result of laziness. How you can have even the slightest notion that people who make MMO-scale single player games are "lazy" in the first place is beyond me. 

They most likely didn't because such a thing would be incoherent; a bunch of random, unrelated cutscenes mishmashed together wouldn't provide any better of an ending than tasteful concept art and text. The only way they could've done convincing ending sequences with cutscenes would be to make them cohesive, i.e. not a bunch of random clips but a single sequence that forms as an outcome of your actions throughout the game, which would be dozens if not hundreds of possibilities, well beyond the resources of any studio. Therefore being Bioware, and actually caring about things like quality, they probably took the stylistic choice to make it a throwback to classic RPGs instead, as are many of the design and aesthetic decisions in the game, rather than cheapening the ending with a dozen half-realized cutscene sequences.  
    sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sagesebas

Whatever I though the end was still great, movies do that all the time and that never upsets me. 

How does Awakenings compare in length? Also how in the world did Vinny play for 70 hours? Was that on just one playthrough? or multiple?

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

@sagesebas: I haven't played Awakening yet but if I remember i remember correctly I think it clocks in around twenty hours or so. 

Also yes, Dragon Age: Origins is a quality product.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.