Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Pretty disappointed with Witch Hunt

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By zitosilva

Wow, I must say, I don't like Witch Hunt at all. I was pretty excited to see what Bioware had in store for Morrigan, since I thought she was a very interesting and well developed character in Origins. Instead, what I got was a DLC that feels like a place holder, something made just to justify its price. You visit places that are recycled from the main game, and the battles are strangely easy. While in Origins they were challenging and instigating, in Witch Hunt I didn't even have to use my abilities to win - not to mention that there's a staggering amount of good quality potions lying around in every corner.

But I guess the real disappointment came from when confronting Morrigan. What a insipid and unnecessary dialogue that was and, depending on the choices you made in the main adventure, the conversation can last just a single minute. Even if you do get what could be called  a happy ending with her (which is possible), it still feels more like a teaser to Dragon Age 2 than real content. I think that's the bottom line - I feel like I just payed for a teaser.

Also, I have the distinct impression that there was content that got cut off. Right in the beginning (of a one hour and thirty minutes DLC), an entity mentions that she'll never see Finn again (one of the characters that accompany you). Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but it seems like this is a clear mention of the fact that he'd soon die. And yet, nothing at all happens. You talk with Morrigan and suddenly the credits roll.

Anyway, what did you guys think? Did you leave satisfied or disappointed like me? I sure wish Morrigan had received better closure.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#2  Edited By alistercat

I thought my game broke when it froze up after touching the mirror with Morrigan, but then credits awkwardly came up. I dont know. I think I'll have to play it again to make up my mind.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By AndrewB

Yeah, I was wondering about Finn. He doesn't seem like an important enough character to make the transition over to Dragon Age 2, so it just seemed weird that there was no resolution to that whole thing. 

It was definitely meant as the conclusion to Origins and the transition into Dragon Age 2. Mousing over the grayed out areas on the world map fives you a brief description about what became of the place after the events of Origins, many throwaway conversations make mention of what other characters you met in Origins or Awakening are up to now, and the DLC ends on yet another cliffhanger with little real plot resolution other than the possiblity of being reunited with Morrigan, yet still not knowing what the heck she's really up to. 

Etaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Etaber

*Spoilers Obviously*

I agree. I was left with a pretty big case of Morrigan blue balls. She was by far my favorite character in the game and to have her only show up in the last two minutes was frustrating. Then to top it off, the game bugged out and gave me the no demon baby conversation instead of reflecting what I actually did in my playthough. I thought I would catch up to Morrigan relatively early and then the real quest would start. I guess Claudia Black charges a lot and they couldn't afford more than 10 lines of dialogue.

It's funny Bioware put out a DLC for Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 on the same day. Both feature the return of a popular character but Shadowbroker did a MUCH better job of giving nostalgic fans what they wanted.

BrandonPckrfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BrandonPckrfn

I agree, it didn't tell anything at all. I REALLY wanted to know what was happening...and then credit roll. Grr, 2 can't come out soon enough.

Wasara88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Wasara88

I love Dragon Age,but the DLC for it has been really weak. Biowares DLC in general has not been that great. Well Overlord was ok and LotSB is awesome.

Bolthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Bolthor

I'm not gonna buy the DLC after reading this. It's a shame, I really liked Morrigan.

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By unchained

I actually really enjoyed Witch Hunt.   

The Tower was fun, a lot of nice easter eggs in the library. The two new npcs were great and their banter was fun. It was nice having my Dog back again, and the ending wrapped up some things, and left some others open, leaving me wanting more.  

Not bad for 560 Bioware Points (I played on PC).

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zitosilva
    @Unchained:  That's one thing that wasn't clear to me. Was the dog the one you had in the main game? You gain a new codex entry, about how your dog was used for breeding some high quality Marbari, which made me believe that we are actually using a descendent of our original dog, specially since we can rename it.
    unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By unchained
    @zitosilva: I just skimmed over the codex entry, but I thought it read that your campaign dog was used to breed alot....lucky fella.  Either way though, as far as I'm concerned, it WAS my damn dog.  

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By wrighteous86

Yeah I wrote a user review for the DLC that pretty had all the same problems you guys mentioned here.  I'd link to it, but I don't know if that's allowed.  It's on my profile page anyway.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zitosilva
    @Unchained:  Oh, yeah, I think you're right. That's a very solid point.
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By wrighteous86

I played as the Awakenings Warden, since my Origins Human Noble Warden was... ahem, unavailable.

The dog was a gift from the Couslands, specifically my original character's brother, so I also imagined that he was the original dog, as he could sniff out Morrigan and the two seemed friendly to one another.

lordbazuco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By lordbazuco

I was a bit disappointed as well, but I got to keep my s-rank so, no complaints

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Wuddel

Thanks for the heads up. I will not buy this DLC now. That being said, I still can not get my DLC to work in-game (there is no list of DLC, stuff does not download).

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Vorbis

Yeah thanks for this warning, going to youtube the convo stuff instead.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e95b60fb151b
    deactivated-5e95b60fb151b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shame was going to buy it too being a big fain of Dragon Age, but I always found the DLC's really underwhelming. 

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By zitosilva
    @Wuddel:  I was having the same problem, it never changed from 0%. What I did was uninstall the game, reinstall, update it and then download the DLCs.

@Anty1: The only other one I had was Shale's and, had it not come with my copy of the game, I'd also would've felt underwhelmed. You know, if Witch Hunt costed something like 3 dollars, I think I'd be okay with it. But it was seven dollars, almost the same thing you'd pay for a good Live Arcade, PSN and WiiWare game. It's too much.
    FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By FLStyle

Lack of content and lack of story but I got the ending that I wanted so I won't complain too much. Roll on DAII.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By armaan8014

I enjoyed the DLC, but the bug really irritated me. The fix is coming out on Monday, will finish it again then.

Also the dog part was confusing. Why'd they ask me to name him again? I forgot what I'd called him in the first game so I named him "Snoofy" instead :(

wickedgame69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By wickedgame69

I'm torn with this DLC. I enjoyed it, but at the same time it left me with the same or more questions than before.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#22  Edited By galiant

Thanks for the heads up. I was so disappointed with Warden's Keep I just didn't buy any DLC since then. Don't get me wrong, I love Dragon Age: Origins, played it through multiple times to get every single trophy - but I felt the DLC was severely lacking. Didn't even pick up Awakening.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.