Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Would I like this game?

iPhone_Tyler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By iPhone_Tyler
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Judging from solely that its hard to say no.

Could try renting it or borrowing from a friend to be sure but if rpg's are your thing (and especially stuff like Kotor which is closer to it then ME2) then you'll love this.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Skald

It's a great game, but it's actually quite a bit different than Mass Effect. The game is longer, the combat is deeper and the loot is greater. 

If you've ever played a game like Neverwinter Nights, that would be a more apt comparison.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

You should check out the quick look of the game and see gameplay, anyway it's a great game and you should give it a try if you like RPG's.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By HaltIamReptar

The combat is nothing like ME2 and only a little like KOTOR.  Can't really give an opinion on what you've told us.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By dagas

I was asking the same thing before DA was released. I loved KotOR and ME, but was unsure about DA. As it turned out I loved DA. Not the combat though, but the choices and story seemed deeper than both KotOR and ME.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Simplexity

ME 2 plays very differently than DA:O, so it's hard to say. Never played Kotor, but if you like a good fantasy setting with great characters, and a slower paced combat system then DA:O is the way to go.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Jeust

I loved KOTOR, sorta of liked the first Mass Effect, loved ME 2 and hated Dragon Age.  

If you can, you should try DA before buying. 

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By fwylo

I tried to play through KOTOR and got bored.  Tried to play ME and got bored. 

Then I played DA....and got bored.

Tasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Tasus

The gameplay is really slow, and the non-protagonist-voice-acting kinda bugged me out in the end of the game (it's obvious why there isn't any.) I got bored halfway through KOTOR (I should probably re-visit that), but absolutely love the Mass Effect games. It took me three tries to finally beat Dragon Age - Origins because I got bored at the half-point, but I just recently beat it and now I totally love Dragon Age and can't wait for the sequel.

Give it a try, it's a quality game whether you get bored or not :)

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Wuddel

Loved all of the 4 discussed games. The gameplay is very different though. On the PC it is a mix out of programming your guys (yeah there is a really some kind of programming in it. Like "If your health goes down to 20% use Health drain on the enemy the warrior is targeting") and micromanaging them (basically you can control all that your self, and you will in most cases). These is a lot of story and I do not know if there is more than ME2, but it certainly fells that way because the conversations are so, so deep (this is going away in DA2, in favor of it being exactly like ME - many people hate it). Do you like fantasy? Dismembering people with a battle axe, but also talking hours on end about magical buckets? If you can answer this question with "Hell, yeah. I wear that bucket as a hat!", DA:O is the game for you.

iPhone_Tyler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By iPhone_Tyler

Thanks for the advice all!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.