Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Xbox Version: Worth It / Opinions

Daveydave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Daveydave

Hi all. 

Just played the dragon age 2 demo, and was pretty impressed with it on the xbox. I have Dragon Age on the pc but could never 
    really get into it. Now I am thinking about getting the first on the xbox and was wondering what peoples opinions are. 

I realise that the "best" version is the pc one, however I often get confused with all the tactics/spell options. Is the xbox 
    one simpler in that respect? 

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Jadeskye

if you played it on the PC and didn't get on with it then the xbox version isn't gonna do anything for you. 

If you want the story from it, set to easy, download some overpowered gear (mods) and fly through it.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Skald

The game is no simpler on the Xbox.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#4  Edited By ArbitraryWater

No. If Dragon Age on the PC overwhelms you, the console versions will do you no better. Either suck it up and learn the systems or accept that these games aren't really for you and move on. That's all I can really say.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By nintendoeats

When I complained about all my issues with the Xbox version everybody told me to play it on the PC. Sooooo...yeah. Don't play it on the 360.

Aside from not being terribly fun as a game it looks like absolute garbage.

Great writing though.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By Yummylee
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " No. If Dragon Age on the PC overwhelms you, the console versions will do you no better. Either suck it up and learn the systems or accept that these games aren't really for you and move on. That's all I can really say. "
    All there is to say, frankly.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By melcene
    @Daveydave:
    Owning the game on both 360 and PC, I have to disagree with everyone else.  If you have trouble with the tactics and whatnot on PC, the 360 version may be right for YOU! 

I don't know that my daughter would be able to hack it on the PC version.  But she's chugging right along on the 360 version.   And her grasp of tactics is fairly awful. 

The 360 version isn't nearly as tactical-based as the PC version.  You could, theoretically go through the game not really worrying much about the tactics of the rest of your group, combat tactic slots, pausing and giving orders, that sort of thing.  Though I'd say you wouldn't really be playing right, but how you play is up to you.
    Daveydave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Daveydave

Just thought I would update this thread with my impressions of the xbox version. 

So far I am really enjoying it. The tactics take some time to get used to, and I am sure some of my companions just stand there doing nothing a little too much, but I am enjoying it alot! The story is cool and its not as hard to control as I thought! The graphics are a bit hit and miss; sometimes great and sometimes awful, but they get the job done. 

A question about the companions that I chose to take with me. Can I still unlock the other companions stories and quests even though I do not bring them with me, like mass effect?

Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Deeveeus
    @melcene said:
    " @Daveydave:
    Owning the game on both 360 and PC, I have to disagree with everyone else.  If you have trouble with the tactics and whatnot on PC, the 360 version may be right for YOU!  I don't know that my daughter would be able to hack it on the PC version.  But she's chugging right along on the 360 version.   And her grasp of tactics is fairly awful.  The 360 version isn't nearly as tactical-based as the PC version.  You could, theoretically go through the game not really worrying much about the tactics of the rest of your group, combat tactic slots, pausing and giving orders, that sort of thing.  Though I'd say you wouldn't really be playing right, but how you play is up to you. "
    That is 100% true, I had it on PC, and really enjoyed it, but I just hate playing games on my laptop (I have a poor setup for PC gaming, I'd have to just sit at a kitchen table).  

So now I have the PS3 version, and the PC version was far more difficult and required much more planning and tactical thought, which is good and bad (it can be far less frustrating, but it does not serve the same challenge)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.