Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Ball Xenoverse

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Feb 05, 2015

A fighting game for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and PC set in the Dragon Ball Z universe.

Non-fan: Do I pull the trigger on the steam sale?

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

So, my Dragonball fandom lasted from the start of Z through the Frieza saga and I have a vague idea of what happened outside of that period of time. I have no particular attachment to any of the characters except for Picolo. Nevertheless I remember thinking that Vinny's QL of this game looked pretty good, and I wonder whether a non-fan would be able to appreciate this game or not. On the one hand, it seems possible that it could fill in the blanks in my Dragonball knowledge. On the other, since it's all about alternate reality or whatever, it's possible that all of the "fix history" stuff will be lost on me since I don't know what the "real" history was. At $18.50, it seems like a lot of content for a game that most people seemed to like.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

As an old fan i saw the sale today and am thinking about pulling the trigger as well. I was one of the biggest fans probably up until the end of Z and start of GT. I played a bit in ps4 and it was definitely a good dbz game but i didnt spend much time with it. I do remember its more of an alternate history thing where they are trying to change events but you get to play a lot of the original story so it could catch you up.

I havent been into a dbz game heavy since budukai 3 on ps2 though. Hmmm

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

If you just want to fill in your missing Dragonball Z knowledge, there's DBZ Kai - an anime which cuts out all the filler. And there's DBZ Abridged, which has become one of my favorite sources of comedy and a very fast, efficient way to know pretty much every relevant story beat up to halfway through the Cell saga in 55 ~10 minute episodes.

DBZ Budokai 3 also covers the whole story if you need it in video game form.

As for Xenoverse? I don't know. I never played it, though I watched my brother play some and it doesn't look like it follows the show very closely at all. I'm just listing alternate ideas if you're looking to fill in Dragonball story knowledge.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Depends on what you are looking for I suppose, to me the appeal was the ability to make your own character and choose the playstyle you most enjoyed, and just having some fun playing around in that world. I didn't get a ton out of the story stuff, even though I've seen all the episodes of the show. It was fine but not the draw for me personally.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: No, filling in my DBZ knowledge isn't one of my goals, but if I don't understand what's going on, that's a problem.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MezZa

Hmm it's hard to say. There's a sequel coming out this year which should just all around be a better game hopefully. But who knows. $18 is a good price and the game holds up well at that value I think. Just keep in mind it can feel kind of grindy and repetitive since the fighting never really changes much from beginning to end aside from new powers.

I enjoyed it and I payed full price. I was a die hard dbz fan in my childhood though so nostalgia plays a factor for me.

PhilOsyfee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait for DBZ Fusions on 3DS

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#8 Undeadpool  Online

I would say almost categorically no. The game is pure fanservice with VERY light, repetitious gameplay. I recently rediscovered my fandom (thanks to a combination of the aforementioned DBZ: Abridged and the two newest movies Toriyama had a hand in releasing), so the gameplay was fine, but I couldn't IMAGINE getting much out of this if I didn't already have an abiding love, or at least a lapsed love, for the entire Z franchise.

They even get into The Battle of Gods near the end and Golden Freeza in some VERY lackluster DLC, so I'd say put your $20 into something more like Binary Domain.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TravisRex

I think they shut down the servers already?

Edit -lol

Avatar image for rated_r_superstar
    Rated_R_Superstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the game very much. It is fun making your own character and leveling up the way you like to play. I hadn't seen anything but The Battle of the Gods movie before hand and had fun with the alternate timeline storyline and the side quests. I got my moneys worth out of it so I say for that price you can get a lot of fun out of it if you enjoy playing it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.