Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jul 29, 2017

The eleventh main entry in the long-running RPG series returns to its pre-MMO roots.

Dragon Quest XI is coming to PS4, 3DS, and NX.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Wow...A new numbered Dragon quest, cross platform to console and mobile, AND an announcement for NX? That's like 3 big stories at once.

Pabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm super stoked for the 3DS version! Put over a hundred hours into DQ9 and was bummed to see the next iteration skipping the console completely. Let's goo hunt some slimes!

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@stevevacation said:

They also announced its coming to the NX, so this is the first confirmed NX game, I guess?

Most outlets are reporting that they've announced the possibility of an NX release, not 100% confirmed.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258
    No Caption Provided

This guy looks like either a lady or Android 17 with blond hair. Is Akira Toriyama still doing the art for these games?

I have never played a Dragon Quest game. I want to play 8 but haven't yet. I'll keep my eye on this one.

I haven't watched much of this video so I don't know about the 3DS version, but I have to wonder just how they'll fit a PS4 game onto the 3DS. Will it even be the same game? Will it be a top-down, Bravely-Default-esque version? I'd like to see a Vita version, actually.

EDIT: Well, now I'm looking at the 3DS version and I really like what they've done with it, that looks cool. However, I think it would be nice if I could occasionally turn one of those screens into something else, I think it could be distracting.

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ryuku_Ryosake

My thoughts: That's a really good looking logo. Someone mentioned DQ9 that's a great sign. The PS4 version looks good. But that 3DS version! The best use of the second screen ever. Also was that guy wearing a Courtney Love shirt?

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Looks rad. Still annoyed we never got DQX, but I guess this is more likely to come out.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The quality of the game is questionable to me. Wll it really be on the same level as DQ8? I also consider the DQ series quite weak as a whole so i'm cauitously optimistic about this. Amazing to see the DQ8 art style on the next gen it looks beautiful.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How could they possibly announce it for NX? No one even knows what NX is yet...seems weird to announce that now.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

No Caption Provided

This guy looks like either a lady or Android 17 with blond hair. Is Akira Toriyama still doing the art for these games?

I have never played a Dragon Quest game. I want to play 8 but haven't yet. I'll keep my eye on this one.

I haven't watched much of this video so I don't know about the 3DS version, but I have to wonder just how they'll fit a PS4 game onto the 3DS. Will it even be the same game? Will it be a top-down, Bravely-Default-esque version? I'd like to see a Vita version, actually.

EDIT: Well, now I'm looking at the 3DS version and I really like what they've done with it, that looks cool. However, I think it would be nice if I could occasionally turn one of those screens into something else, I think it could be distracting.

Dragon Quest 8 is one of the best games ever made. I fucking love that game. Easily one of the best RPG's I've ever played.

And yeah, that's Akira Toriyama or my name isn't Buttman Bart.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Aegon

I was actually pretty disappointed with what I saw last night. It looks to be another empty town bread and butter fantasy JRPG. The visuals don't look very inspired either. Yuji Horii made it sound like they were going to try something more grande and different in those interviews. They haven't shown battles in the PS4 version yet, so maybe there will be something to grab onto there.

In a post-Xenoblade / Persona world, it's hard to care about a JRPG unless it has a fresh take on the genre and a unique identity. This just seems like standard fair Dragon Quest. If that's all their fans need to buy it, then that's cool I guess. I'll change my mind if they show something more interesting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.