Drew Scanlon: LARPING In The Park

#1 Edited by bigjeffrey (5282 posts) -

Drew "Periscoped" out some Larping, even ended up getting in a fight.

#2 Edited by TheHT (14420 posts) -

Haha yeah, that was great. I'm not gonna lie, the idea of swinging around a fake sword in a park sounds like fun. That lightning bolt business from that one video though, noooo thanks.

#3 Posted by Sin4profit (3426 posts) -

Larping looked rad, I'm in.

#4 Posted by Tits_Matador (580 posts) -

I wonder what Dan would think of this.

#5 Posted by mellotronrules (2032 posts) -

ha- that was legitimately awesome! that guy with the undercut did a great job explaining. and of course @drewbert would stumble into some adhoc LARPing! the man did shoot a bow in the office, after all.

so drew- your task is now to convince the rest of the office that your next "video thing" is "giantbomb.com GOES MEDIEVAL."

#6 Posted by Trilogy (3113 posts) -

Well, he seems WAY into people poorly pretending to fight, so I would assume it would be right up his alley!

#7 Edited by Seikenfreak (978 posts) -

Drew is so outgoing and normal that it scares someone like me haha

Next week he should bring Dan.. and then Dan can be himself and I'll get to watch a bunch of people jump him in a park for being the type of person he is lol

#8 Edited by csl316 (14052 posts) -

Drew, interacting with the common folk. This is welcome.

It's like Bushido Blade up in here.

#9 Edited by mlarrabee (3867 posts) -

@trilogy said:
@tits_matador said:

Well, he seems WAY into people poorly pretending to fight, so I would assume it would be right up his alley!

Totally! I was driving to work when I had that "Aha!" moment: professional wrestling is essentially LARPing!

EDIT: And since there are about a hundred "Grey Haven"s on Facebook, here's the right one.

#10 Posted by BetaBand (334 posts) -

This was great to watch! Some dicks in the chat though.

#11 Edited by dprotp (587 posts) -

@betaband said:

This was great to watch! Some dicks in the chat though.

Super glad that whoever recorded this disabled the chat.

This guy's really good at explaining things concisely. It's fascinating!

[edit] alright, he's pretty damn charismatic. I like him!

#12 Posted by Naoiko (1501 posts) -

Drew is awesome, plain and simple. Kudos to him for trying out LARPing. =D

#13 Edited by Devil240Z (5708 posts) -

Seriously though wtf is this periscope thing? And why the hell don't people hold their phone sideways?

#14 Posted by Capasso (74 posts) -

Morder (?) wacked the shit out of Drew.

#15 Posted by Winsord (1548 posts) -

Seriously though wtf is this periscope thing? And why the hell don't people hold their phone sideways?

It's just a streaming app, and it doesn't let you stream in landscape.

#16 Posted by Kasaioni (2397 posts) -

Drew should do a Quick Look of this game.

#17 Posted by Demoskinos (17348 posts) -

@devil240z: Its a livestreaming app on iOS and the phone isn't turned because periscope is meant to be used like that.

#18 Edited by Tits_Matador (580 posts) -

@trilogy: I don't know, are Larpers cool guys like wrestling cool guys who do cool guy wrestling stuff or whatever?

Cool guys.

#19 Posted by jacksukeru (6582 posts) -

That looked kinda fun. I'd pick a spear, I think.

That guy seemed super nice and cool.

#20 Posted by Devil240Z (5708 posts) -

@winsord said:
@devil240z said:

It's just a streaming app, and it doesn't let you stream in landscape.

@devil240z: Its a livestreaming app on iOS and the phone isn't turned because periscope is meant to be used like that.

so its a phone only replacement for justin.tv?

I liked JTV cause I'm justin too!

#21 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (5569 posts) -

Cool vid, thanks for sharing.

#22 Posted by Sanj (3123 posts) -

That Mordor guy seems cool. Also this looks fun. I think the Giant Bomb crew LARPIng would be a sight to behold.

#23 Posted by JimiPeppr (578 posts) -

I liked the part when they were going to demonstrate the shield breaking mechanic and when he handed a shield to that girl she was like "nah."

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
#24 Posted by RenegadeDoppelganger (590 posts) -

Drew is so outgoing and normal that it scares someone like me haha

Next week he should bring Dan.. and then Dan can be himself and I'll get to watch a bunch of people jump him in a park for being the type of person he is lol

In the end it's not that dissimilar from wrestling. Two dudes play-fighting each other only in this case you get weapons. I think he'd be into it if he could get past his initial distaste.

#25 Posted by EchoEcho (864 posts) -

This takes me back. When I was a teenager, I joined up with a group to do this stuff one summer, at the invitation of a friend. Same basic rules they're using here, though I don't think it was part of the same organization. It was really fun! It wasn't a full-on LARPing group; nobody was dressing up or in-character or anything, though several of the regulars were also involved with a long-running LARPing organization in the area. I was interested in trying that out, but never had the opportunity.

Some of the regulars had been doing this stuff for fifteen-plus years and were extremely good; they'd cut you down in the blink of an eye, but they'd graciously tell you exactly how you left yourself open and give you tips to improve.

They didn't bring it up in this video (not sure if it's permitted in the specific rules system they're using), but I was personally a fan of dual-wielding smaller weapons, such as short swords or dirks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.