Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dungeons & Dragons

Franchise »

The first and most influential role-playing game franchise.

Trying to DM for first time, in 5E does "You have proficency in X" mean?

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Im going to attempt to DM a small test game of DnD5E with a friend (who has never played either) and im having trouble with some of the rules. I think I get most of whats happening but im having trouble with a particular Elf Racial Passive, I imagine it appears elsewhere, which is "Keen Senses - You have proficiency in the Perception Skill". Im unsure what this means and is it different from the "Proficiency Bonus" which is tied to your class and increases per level?

Thanks if you can help.

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By sumbog

If you have proficiency in a skill you are able to add your proficiency bonus to your roll. So for example perception.

If you are proficient in perception at level 1 you can add your +2 proficiency bonus to the roll. That's means your perception is now 10(base)+wisdom bonus+proficiency bonus.

As indicated before proficiency bonus'are level dependent and can be found on the class table.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

@sumbog: Wonderful, thank you. I think I got confused by how often they say "proficiency" but that makes it clear.

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@pazy: This can be a confusing topic at the start. Especially when you considered proficiency with kits such as thieves tools. In the end though, proficiency will always mean add the bonus.

If you have any more questions feel free to pm me. I would also recommend checking out the faqs in r/dnd. They have quite a few resources guides available.

Either way, happy dungeoning!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.