Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dwarf Fortress

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Aug 08, 2006

Dwarf Fortress is a single-player, high fantasy simulation game in the style of old ASCII Roguelikes. You can control either a Dwarven clan attempting to build a settlement or a single adventurer in a randomly generated and persistent world complete with its own unique history.

New Random PC Game?

WilyBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By WilyBoy

Dave's been talking quite a bit about Dwarf Fortress on Twitter, and implied we'd be getting video of it this week. I've taken a few stabs at learning this game, and while I could never fully pierce its complexity, I find it fascinating. Is anyone else as excited as I am to join Vinny in watching Dave probably kill all of his dwarves in a horrible accident?

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By EquitasInvictus

@WilyBoy: They've been talking about it a lot in general for the past week; they even mentioned it on one of the live streams last week. It sounds like it's going to be big, since Dave has been apparently playing a bunch of that game to prepare for the live stream. I'm quite excited, myself!

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By jking47

Very excited, Dwarf Fortress has always seemed like it would be really fun. Can't wait! Plus random PC games are always great.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Patman99

I tried playing the game in the past but I had a real hard time overcoming the graphics. Even if they were coloured blocks rather than letters and numbers and shit I would have a better time. That does not mean, however, that I am opposed for Dave and Vinny to play for a Random PC Game. The answer to Dave, Vinny, and Drew is always yes.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By falling_fast

I am so excited

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By viking_funeral

If I can learn the game, Dave can master it. I can't wait to see what kind of fortress he tries to build. My guess is that he has at least one death trap tunnel.

WilyBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WilyBoy

@Patman99: There are plenty of mods that make the graphics more.... decipherable. My first time in the game I followed this tutorial: http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/09/the-complete-and-utter-newby-tutorial-for-dwarf-fortress-part-1-wtf/

It was really helpful and it points you to a more visually palatable version of the game. I'm not sure if it's outdated at this point, or if you even want to try diving back in (I gave up after my most successful fortress was ruined when one dwarf went insane and murdered all the other dwarfs), but here you go!

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jesterroyal

I bought the book that dave mentioned in one of the live streams(written by the same guy who did those tutorials mentioned). Its FANTASTIC. I've tried to get into DF a number of times and end up getting sidled with old tutorials. Then my dwarves starve to death from lack of food because the farming mechanic changed and I can no longer farm on my stony cliff face. Etc. It does a great job of explaning what you are doing and why. All you really got to do is find a good tileset (Download a newbie pack and Phoebus(sp?) is pretty cool) and just try to live with it for a few hours. Then boom. You'll start really getting the game. Hope this random pc game is a gateway drug to DF for you.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By jimi

Just a heads up there is a new video on the coming up: Dave's descent into dwarfdom.

I'm really hyped for this, have been watching dwarf fortress from a distance for some time now and never had the courage to man up and play it. Might try to learn alongside Dave.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AlexW00d

I think it's a running feature as opposed to a one off. Seems like it'd be wasted opportunity if it is just a one off.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By BBAlpert

In my experience, all DF games spiral out of control at some point, so the real skill is in going out with as much of a bang as possible.

With that in mind, I have a feeling Fort Duder is going to be a disaster. A magnificent, wondrous, glorious catastrophe. I could not be more excited.

PolygonSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PolygonSlayer

Looking forward to this :) I started playing it a bit after Dave talked about it and I thought it sounded interesting, it's pretty damn hardcore, but it defo has the addictive nature seen in Terraia/Minecraft in it. It's easy to see where those two got their inspiration :)

ShadowMarth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ShadowMarth

@BBAlpert: Meh, it's easy to get a stable, self-sufficient fort full of badass dwarves and enough marksmen to blot out the sun. In an easy biome. The Fun comes from throwing down in somewhat less hospitable biomes. Let's say, ones where it rains boiling piss and you have zombie fish to contend with. That is not a joke.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kindgineer

If I heard correctly, Dave said something about doing this weekly? I think that would be awesome. I not only found the stream a great entertainment, but much like a good book, I want to see what happens next in their adventures. He's doing a Let's Play, but a personality we want to watch and a little more hardcore.

Hopefully I didn't hear wrong.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.