Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dynasty Warriors

Franchise »

Dynasty Warriors is a franchise of hack-and-slash video games based on the classic Chinese novel, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, developed by Omega Force and distributed by Koei (now Tecmo-Koei).

Quick question regarding battle objectives.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Hey folks, so I'm playing DW8XLCE on PS4 and I'm a little confused as to how objectives work in battle. This being my first DW game, it feels like the game expects me to know how all its systems work. The reason I ask these questions is because every time I think I figure out how they work, I end up failing the battle and need to restart. So do you as the player have to advance the battle yourself ? I ask because I get carried away murdering peasants and nothing seems to happen at times, I figured out that I do need to head for objectives but I'm then stopped to be informed that some other officer on the other end of the map needs my assistance. I head all the way over to help out only for them to fall just before I reach them to assist, it's frustrating. I see the appeal to these games, but they're not great at explaining some of the systems at play and whilst the tutorial was helpful in explaining the combat system, it doesn't explain how missions work out. I have looked for some video explanation but without much look.

I imagine it's simpler than I realise, but it's frustrating when I'm towards the end of a mission only to have the mission fail on me because I didn't follow this very specific instruction to help some dude out on the other side of the map. I thought I figured it out on Lu Bu's second mission when I obtained the tigers which then helped me in battle, but the way they explain the missions is a little confusing at times. Plus, when there's so much crazy happening on screen its difficult to know what the hell is going on.

I'd appreciate some advice on the basics, thanks. :D

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Rowr

Pay attention to the announcements going on at the bottom of the screen, and then look at the minimap where it is flashing.

It basically sort of works as a tug of war, if you leave the battlefield to do its thing slowly different powered forces will conquer and push to whatever their objectives are. Often since the battles are scripted heavily, different forces will arrive as backup or change allegiance, sometimes leaving a strong force of enemies heading towards your base/objective. After a while you will work out how to filter the information coming in and process everything that is going on.

This is why these games works well in combat because you can split your objectives across the map and divide up responsibilities. Try and use your horse to get around when you must get some where, and try not to screw around to much if it seems like a big enemy force. Try and support your troops and especially officers where they need it, if you lose officers the enemy can advance through that much easier without you there the same goes with you conquering the enemies officers, also the supply bases which overall buff your army.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.