Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Elite: Dangerous

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Dec 16, 2014

The fourth entry in the Elite franchise, from the series' co-creator David Braben and Frontier Developments.

1.3 update will add factions and a bunch of other cool stuff

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SlashDance
    Did you say
    Did you say "Powers"?

Update 1.3, nicknamed "Powerplay", has finally been unveiled in this week's newsletter. The big new feature is what they call "Powers", which are essentially factions. You will be able to chose one that fits your playstyle, help it invade and capture systems from neighbouring powers, rank-up and gain various rewards like perks or faction-rep bonuses, vote with other players to decide the next course of action (higher rank means you have more votes). It's a bit like a game of Civilization in space. Without Gandhi...

The newsletter goes into a lot more detail, and it sounds like this will add a lot of depth to the game, which it desperately needs right now.

Senator Patreus, looking baller as fuck.
    Senator Patreus, looking baller as fuck.

When Powerplay launches, you'll be able to ally yourself with any one of a number of galactic Powers, earning valuable perks, reputation bonuses and credits for your allegiance.

As a trusted ally of your chosen Power, you will be able to guide their strategy, take on special objectives to advance your shared cause, and dominate human space. Your choices and actions will have a direct and visible impact on the balance of galactic power.

[...]

Every Power is a fully fleshed-out organisation or character with a figurehead, biography, political leaning and faction-specific perks. Each one dominates an expanse of human-occupied space and your actions will see their influence grow as they overthrow neighbouring systems, or collapse as other players move against them.

[...]

In the Powerplay update you'll find a new tab on the galaxy map, displaying the current state of galactic control among all the Powers.

"We've had to add a lot to the galaxy map," User Interface Head Jon Pace says. "Powerplay is like a massive strategy boardgame, but our conflicts play out in three dimensions, and we have to make that readable for players. You can see all their borders, what kinds of systems they control, who their neighbours and enemies are, and how the map changes every week as the Powers make their moves.

"And we've added new screens to your ship's UI," Pace continues. "So you can get an immediate overview of the Powers and their standing in the galaxy."

[...]

Players will even have a hand in creating new Powers. The initial selection of factions will rise to a maximum of twenty as players provide assistance to minor local forces; as those forces establish a foothold across a handful of systems, they may rise to become Powers in their own right.

You can choose to defect if one of those new Powers is more appealing, but you should weigh the benefits of joining a new power against the consequences for your treachery. You may find yourself wanted by your former friends.

"Powerplay is a huge feature in its own right, and a huge change to the game," Sammarco continues. "Players have always been able to influence the background simulation and affect change in the galaxy, but Powerplay gives you control over these charismatic entities and wage war on a truly massive scale. It's a chance to choose a side, earn great rewards and reshape the galaxy in a really cool way."

A spaceship. It's a ship that goes into space.
    A spaceship. It's a ship that goes into space.

Powerplay also comes with two new ships, an overhauled mission system (not sure what that means, but I'm hyped for this one), drones that will help collect cargo and mining resource, and a few other minor features. Pretty exciting stuff! Not sure how I feel about drones being single-use, and I sort of hope that they have a few more things to announce. Actually there's only one thing I want. I just want to see humans in other people's ships and in stations. The game feels completely lifeless right now. That dude in the newsletter is the first human being to appear in the game. it's just weird...

Anyway, Frontier hopes to release the update in May.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I think the idea with the new misson system is to make missions more meaningful and actually useful to players who have played for a while already. At the moment the only reason you'd do one is if you're a new player, so they wanted to address that. I think there will be like mission chains now, so missions can tell sort of stories? We'll see.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm hoping that the update will get me back into playing the game. The existing missions are bare bones to say the least.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome! Looking forward to this update. I really want to love Elite: Dangerous, just feels really light on stuff to do. Hopefully this helps with that problem.

SirFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SirFork

Looks awesome

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.