Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Elf

Concept »

Elves are a race found in a lot of games based on a fantasy setting. They are recognizable by their elongated ears and often live much longer than humans. Some are even immortal. There are many variations of Elves.

Why are Elves always getting dunked on?

BelowStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BelowStupid

Weird question; but why do a lot of Fantasy stories have Elves on paper be far better than humans, but are almost extinct, or slaves? Lord of the Rings, The Witcher, The Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, Runescape.

Do Humans just breed faster? Is it commentary on the cruelty of men and their lust for war? Does it just make the world more interesting?

What do you guys think?

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By WynnDuffy

It's comeuppance for the over abundance of Night Elf Hunters.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Depends on the particular lore. Sometimes elves are just too isolationist/elitist in nature compared to humans. That typically doesn't bode well for a people's longevity. Sometimes humans just happen to win the battle of who controls the land through sheer numbers and the elves just never really recover. There's more to it than that usually, but those are the simplest explanations off the top of my head.

And in general I think people possibly react more positively to seeing our own species be the heroes and superiors.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno, in my neighbourhood the local elves are the pride of the community, they're upstanding hard-working citizens!

...at least that's what I'd say if I lived in the North Pole :D

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Games writers need a filter for racism and class warfare and elves are their go-to thing.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw the title and thought that there was some kind of high fantasy basketball game out that I didn't know about. Now I'm disappointed.

Elves are short and skinny. They make everybody else into Andre Drummond.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's kind of an extreme extension of the Lord of the Rings formula. In Tolkein, the elves voluntarily leave as the Age of Men begins, because the world is becoming something that they aren't really a part of. Writers now bend that into the human's forcing them out because of their nature. It's a pretty fine distinction, really.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

It's different from lore to lore but there is a certain through line wherein Elves represent a sort of pretty, smart, magical past and Humans the cold, hard, shitty future of no hope and money grubbing land lubbers.

Obviously, like a plague, Humanity overtakes everything.

From the game sense, most writing/marketing/dev teams seem to take a pretty sad view of consumers, just based on trends. Humans have always gotta be SOOOOO great, as if our tiny minds could only rebel at being the street trash of a universe. Would love to know about game universes where humans are the bottom of the totem pole.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought everybody would stop using this phrase once Austin left. Damn.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Blackout62
    @spoonman671 said:

Nope, all those Austin Walkerism's are here to stay. He's somehow a complex academic with mature perspectives and behavior yet also has catchphrases.

What's good, Giant Bomb?

But to the the relevant discussion: Elves are overpowered with their immortality, fine features, some measure of super senses, general higher standard of living, and pointy ears. Fantasy worldbuilders feel the need to balance the elves for some reason and aren't very good at it.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Maybe it's something to do with romanticizing the past, coupled with a dash of cynicism? That typical sort of Tolkien-esque elf representing some imagined state of grace for existence before humanity comes along to muck it up with the less favourable of their attributes, while the good humans stand with the elves and what have you.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Yeah, it's kind of awful the more that I hear it... Austin was smart but some of his mannerisms were uhh...

Anyway, regarding the elves I thought it was basically a unique Tolkien thing that everybody else just ran with since.

As for why J.R.R. did it? Beats me. Maybe to show the cyclical nature of the world, and how decline is inevitable no matter how great/powerful your race or civilization is/was. It's called "middle earth" because, presumably, the story is told retrospectively and the world kept changing. Maybe a Tolkien expert can help me out with this

DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackout62: Except they aren't really Walkerisms, which is why it is wishful thinking that because one person left that people wouldn't use current turns of phrase. Dunking on is a bigger concept than the good (one-day) Dr Walker. Of course it would out last him.

More on topic, I always assumed that Elves getting dunked on was a reaction to Tolkien-style fantasy since they were these high and mighty, holier-than-thou douchenozzles. So, people decided to use it as a point of difference and a chance to take them down a peg.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I think it's wild that people in this thread think that Austin is the reason people use the phrase "dunk[ed] on." Do you guys also think that Jeff coined the term "hella," or that Brad invented pronouncing silent Ls and Hs?

MrMatooki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's just that obsession with the Greek tragedy.

A race of people who are more than people would still be vulnerable to hubris. And that ends up biting them in the ass everytime.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weird question; but why do a lot of Fantasy stories have Elves on paper be far better than humans, but are almost extinct, or slaves? Lord of the Rings, The Witcher, The Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, Runescape.

Do Humans just breed faster? Is it commentary on the cruelty of men and their lust for war? Does it just make the world more interesting?

What do you guys think?

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Aldmeri_Dominion

Elves are pretty powerful and important in Elder Scrolls.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Stay down, elves! You've been too good for too long!

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#19 FinalDasa  Moderator

Such a great thread title.

Well, if you wanna get into, it all is thanks to Tolkien. During the Lord of the Rings, the elves are already in low numbers and leaving Middle Earth. So they're depicted as a waning race, despite being immortal. You also have the story line of Arwen, who gives her life to be with Aragorn. Combine all that with the rising power of Mordor and of men, and the elves seem to be dying out and others are swiftly moving in to take place.

Tolkien had an immense influence on future fantasy writing. His races, motifs, themes, and so much more were borrowed and expanded on. Dragon's Age, Dungeons and Dragons, and Game of Thrones wouldn't exist without Tolkien. So his picture of elves fading out of the world echoed on into other literature and culture.

/nerd

Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
    OpusOfTheMagnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajamafalous said:

I think it's wild that people in this thread think that Austin is the reason people use the phrase "dunk[ed] on." Do you guys also think that Jeff coined the term "hella," or that Brad invented pronouncing silent Ls and Hs?

It's history man, stop fighting the truth in your heart.

People have already touched on it but it's usually because elves are a way to put racism into the world. I think writers are uncomfortable with writing about normal human ass racism, so they just simplify it to "humans are assholes" and have an abstract species that they can be assholes to.

The stuff in Lord of the Rings is different, as they are voluntarily leaving Middle Earth. The way this is described in the Lord of the Rings is generally pretty vague and contributes to the race appearing to die out.

Also, elves are often portrayed as haughty, arrogant, and generally less emotional than humans, which many writers use as some sort of justification for humanity's insistent on being assholes.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Turambar

The view that elves represent the good past while humans represent the shitty future being rooted in Tolkien Lore is incorrect.

If anything, elves represents an old stagnant power that self-destructed due to their own arrogance and were saved but by the grace of the gods while humans represent fragility while also being the source of hope for the coming age. The Silmarillion, a story that depicts the entire history of Middle-Earth leading up to the Hobbit, is about how a group of elves act real shitty in the Garden of Eden and leave it for Middle-Earth, get ultimately dunked on hard by the world's satan figure, have Jesus figures (who just happen to be a human-elf couple) intercede on their behalf with the gods who then come and win a war against satan, and give them permission to go back. That's where all the elves are going at the end of the Lord of the Rings. They aren't dying out in any physical sense, they just don't want to live outside of the Garden of Eden anymore.

As for why fantasy writers like to dunk on elves and portray them as well past their prime constantly, that has more to do with how we view progress more than anything else. We always like to think of the direction the world is going as better than where it is coming from, and that the old needs to make way to allow the new to blossom. In fantasy, that means the old power structure, the elves, needs to make way for the new hope of the world, humans.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Turambar
    @ajamafalous said:

Austin using the phrase "get dunked on" is absolutely the reason why it enters my thoughts at all. It's not about who invents it, it's about who popularizes its usage for a certain community.

Avatar image for soimadeanaccount
    soimadeanaccount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To show the rise and fall of civilization. The elves concept could be extended to advance ancient aliens in sci-fi or tales of lost advance civilization.

Let's face it we, as humans, are more likely to relate to humans as the center stage of a story. We know that we are imperfect and flawed, but we like to think that hard work, tenacity, and endurance is worth something instead of being simply just born into superiority, and stories of hubris, arrogance, contentment/laziness are low hanging fruits as cautionary tales or tool to create conflicts and drama.

DookieRope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DookieRope

Elves are often effeminate and feminine. Western culture loves a hyper masculine hero. Therefore we dunk on elves.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

What's good middle earth?

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turambar said:
    @ajamafalous said:

Austin using the phrase "get dunked on" is absolutely the reason why it enters my thoughts at all. It's not about who invents it, it's about who popularizes its usage for a certain community.

But........... It's just.......... Black people, as a whole........ we've been saying this shit for D E C A D E S.

Although your point about originators not mattering makes that way more funny considering that is how black art gets treated in general

Anyway the stuff with elves is very much the "devs want to do class warfare but terrified of class warfare" type stuff, plus at this point its an accepted trope so doing it is easy

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27  Edited By Nodima

Now I just wish this thread were titled "Why do video games keep putting Elves on a poster?" So there could be some real misunderstanding and outrage.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Turambar

@iodine said:
    @turambar said:
    @ajamafalous said:

But........... It's just.......... Black people, as a whole........ we've been saying this shit for D E C A D E S.

Although your point about originators not mattering makes that way more funny considering that is how black art gets treated in general

Anyway the stuff with elves is very much the "devs want to do class warfare but terrified of class warfare" type stuff, plus at this point its an accepted trope so doing it is easy

I went to high school in the Bronx. It was not a phrase I heard much of, if at all. That said, my high school years were a good decade ago so who knows, maybe I just missed it becoming a thing?

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#29 fisk0  Moderator

@turambar said:
    @iodine said:
    @turambar said:
    @ajamafalous said:

I went to high school in the Bronx. It was not a phrase I heard much of, if at all. That said, my high school years were a good decade ago so who knows, maybe I just missed it becoming a thing?

I don't even live in the US and have heard that phrase at least since the mid 90's.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I think "once great dying race" is pretty integral to the most cliche, and copied, high fantasy Elf formula. I agree they could switch it up a lot more than they do. Generic high fantasy bores me most times.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt said:
    @belowstupid said:

What do you guys think?

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Aldmeri_Dominion

Elves are pretty powerful and important in Elder Scrolls.

Yeah, the elves of Elder Scrolls are literally the opposite of this trope. The Altmer and Thalmor are taking over the world.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Don't tell them that Dave Lang didn't invent the term fuck boy

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.