Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Emily is Away

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Nov 20, 2015

A text game simulating chat conversations during several years between the player and an old friend from high school. Written for the 21st Annual Interactive Fiction Competition by Kyle Seeley.

Not seen anyone talking about Emily is Away - this game is very cool and it's free!

Joe423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

It's very cool and it only takes 20 or so minutes of your time. It's free on steam!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Why's it cool?

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

What is this game?

Joe423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

@hypnotoadbrwowrowrow: An indie game made for a competition (I think.)

@theht: It's a simulation of old-style chatrooms that I found quite interesting

Avatar image for billy_ray_valentine
    Billy_Ray_Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I really enjoyed this "game" (quotation marks because as it is basically a choose-your-own text adventure)! As a high school senior entering college in 2002 and spending a good deal of my time on AOL Instant Messenger, this game really hit close to home for me and I enjoyed the clever little tricks used to emulate the early aughts through song lyrics, buddy icons, etc. and the all-too-familiar "typing how I really feel...deleting it not to sound lame" flow of young adult conversation via IM. It's free and quick to play, I recommend it!

feignamnesia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Maybe I am a wooby sensitive girl but my almost lesbian romance that never quite happened made me feel things. I mean, if you grew up using chat clients as a social hub — and tried to hold on to the same people through those channels — it's gonna make you feel, too, man.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

How does this compare to Cibele?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@project343: They're pretty different outside of the basic framework of internet nostalgia. Emily is Away is basically a dialogue tree about maintaining old friendships and dealing with regret whereas Cibele is a linear narrative about navigating your way through intimate connections as an inexperienced introvert.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.