Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Employment

Concept »

A form of repeatable side quest, the character gets a job that he usually reports to at a set time. This could be doing deliveries for a shop, making cakes, operating a forklift, or collecting coconuts.

2 weeks in.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Devil240Z

Two weeks into my new job after a year of unemployment. Things seem to be going well. my co-workers seem to be cool. the store manager is a store manager so no one likes her, not surprised. I will try to keep my head down for the time being while I continue to learn the ropes.

I am in the tech department. which means that I have the same responsibilities as everyone else but I am required to sell more stuff than everyone else(protection plans and what not). but I also get more hours than most people, which I feel bad about cause i'm so new. I dont know wtf I'm doing half the time. but every day things make more and more sense.

I got a flat tire on my way home today. so I had to put on that little ass spare tire that was in my trunk. hopefully it will last two more weeks until I get paid.

All in all things are going ok.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Devil240Z

Two weeks into my new job after a year of unemployment. Things seem to be going well. my co-workers seem to be cool. the store manager is a store manager so no one likes her, not surprised. I will try to keep my head down for the time being while I continue to learn the ropes.

I am in the tech department. which means that I have the same responsibilities as everyone else but I am required to sell more stuff than everyone else(protection plans and what not). but I also get more hours than most people, which I feel bad about cause i'm so new. I dont know wtf I'm doing half the time. but every day things make more and more sense.

I got a flat tire on my way home today. so I had to put on that little ass spare tire that was in my trunk. hopefully it will last two more weeks until I get paid.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @Devil240Z

Those tyres can be surprisingly robust, but be very careful if you're dealing with bad weather.

Good luck with the job duder, keep plugging away at it and aim to find something better when you're ready. The beautiful thing is once you start to get a roll on with a job you'll be able to find a better one a lot easier than when you were starting from scratch
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Vinny_Says

Soon you'll be able to buy that sub-woofer you've always wanted.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Devil240Z

@Tim_the_Corsair: wise words, thanks man.

@Vinny_Says said:

Soon you'll be able to buy that sub-woofer you've always wanted.

My car is too small to fit a sub woofer. I had one in my old subaru but my MX-5 cant handle such a thing. I want another subaru!

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Its going to seem like hell since your new and adjusting to a new life style (even if you've worked before) and people are going to bitch about you getting more hours or better schedules in general (like doing the earlier shifts) and it probably won't be to your face. But honestly, stay away from all the drama. When Charlene is talking about how lazy Brenda is or how Sir Anthony doesn't care about the job and should be fired, just change the subject to some complete random off the walls subject. People will learn to not even bother shit talking to you and what you get in return is bliss.

Otherwise, congrats! I'm about to start my third job just this year (I've quit my last two for something better)

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Devil240Z

@SomeDeliCook: I know exactly what you mean. Ive heard how my getting so many hours next week in unfair and what not. I know that soon enough the manager will give me the same treatment as everyone else. So I will just keep out of any controversy until I am well settled in.

I already have plans for my future. Jobs that I will like more/ will pay more. This is only a stepping stone.

I just need some time to disassociate myself with my previous trade.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By fattony12000

Wish I had a job...

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Devil240Z

@Fattony12000 said:

Wish I had a job...

you know how I found this one? On one of my most desperate and saddest days, I was driving around with no destination. I arrived and saw a now hiring sign in the window and applied. A week later I was employed.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Tylea002

Man, I feel so sorry for you. Being forced to sell bullshit protection plans so you yourself can eat. Must hurt.

hangedtoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hangedtoaster

@Tylea002: I honest;y can't tell if your being sarcastic or not, something tell's me you are, but there is that slight chance that you feel sorry for the poor bugger about jamming that stuff down peoples throats. No offense intended Devil. Great to hear you found a job though employment is always good.

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By RuthLoose

@Devil240Z said:

@Fattony12000 said:

Wish I had a job...

you know how I found this one? On one of my most desperate and saddest days, I was driving around with no destination. I arrived and saw a now hiring sign in the window and applied. A week later I was employed.

It is a buyer's market out there. Places with now hiring signs are sadly some of your best bets for a quick turn around.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Tylea002
    @hangedtoaster Yeah, my first job is doing marketing bullshit, doing stuff that I know is annoying and stupid, and am morally opposed to that kind of business practise, but a guy gotta eat. That wasn't sarcasm, it does genuinely suck :P.
    Lemonhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Lemonhead

@RuthLoose said:

It is a buyer's market out there. Places with now hiring signs are sadly some of your best bets for a quick turn around.

You mean seller's market right?

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RuthLoose

@Lemonhead said:

@RuthLoose said:

You mean seller's market right?

Guilty as charged, your honor!

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CL60

I feel like when I worked in a store I was the only person in the world to have an awesome manager. Incredibly nice dude.(kinda bad at running a store though honestly.)

Now I work security and the days are long and boring and management are a bunch of idiots/dicks.

hangedtoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hangedtoaster

@Tylea002: Excellent! Truly can't tell with all the assholes out there on the internetz.But If your a sucker for painful jobs go work in a call centre, I got desperate and did a 1 month stint at one, THAT was a soul crushing job.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Devil240Z

@hangedtoaster said:

@Tylea002: Excellent! Truly can't tell with all the assholes out there on the internetz.But If your a sucker for painful jobs go work in a call centre, I got desperate and did a 1 month stint at one, THAT was a soul crushing job.

I was so close to applying at a call center. So glad I didn't have to. The pay there is pretty good though.

Also our protection plans aren't that bad. The only issue I have with them is that most things you would buy will probably be discontinued by the time it breaks, and there is no real coverage in that case.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.