Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EVO Championship Series

Concept »

The World Fighting Game Championships in all but name. Since 2000, the Evolution Championship Series has been the most prominent fighting game tournament event. It features the best players from all over the world.

Evo 2011 News: Schedule (dates and times) & all MK9 DLC banned

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By FLStyle

Schedule

I must say I'm pretty pleased, SSFIV: AE and Marvel 3 have been split up (as well as MK9 from Tekken 6 and BB CS 2). There's no chance anyone will miss out on any of the top matches earlier in the pools as has been the case with a lot of the Evo seeding points tournaments. 

All times PDT (UTC/GMT -8 hours)

Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition - Friday, July 29th

Pools: 8 AM – 6 PM

Quarter Finals: 6 PM – 8 PM

Semi Finals: 8 PM – 11 PM

Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 – Saturday July 30th

Mortal Kombat 9 – Friday, July 29th

Tekken 6 – Saturday, July 30th

Semi Finals: 6 PM – 10 PM

BlazBlue Continuum Shift 2 – Saturday, July 30th

Semi Finals: 6 PM – 10 PM  

Sunday July 31st - Finals for all

NOTE: Although Team Spooky and iPlayWinner have been chosen to stream the event this year, they will not be doing so on their own streams, there will be official EVO stream (streams?) for that, most likely on uStream and not justin.tv as has been the case with EVO in the past.

MK9 DLC Ban

Head-dude of Evo Joey Cuellar ( @MrWizardSRK) tweeted earlier today that all DLC, including Skarlet, Kenshi, Rain and the 4th mystery DLC character are banned from Evo. A poll was posted by Joey on one of the leading competitive MK sites Test Your Might about potentially banning Skarlet in which arguments for both sides were made. Joey's original post has been edited to reflect the descision made.

Skarlet will be staying locked up at Kahn's Coliseum
    Skarlet will be staying locked up at Kahn's Coliseum

Yes - 138 votes
    No - 259 votes

Despite the majority voting against it, it seems that DLC bugs and potential gameplay exploits that wouldn't be patched with the time NetherRealm Studios has before Evo, has led to the announcement. Although I'd bet the time and money in buying, downloading and installing the DLC for a lot of consoles that will be used was a factor too.

PS. Kratos is still banned also, as he has been from tournaments since MK9's release (No console exclusive characters allowed in any game, universal access for all).

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By StaticFalconar

Sweet, looks like I ain't gonna miss a thing that weekend. It also is interesting how MK's motto of constant patches and DLC basically led to the final decision to have none of them be legal at the tournament. Overall, I agree with universal access for all that Mr Wizard is going for. 

Skogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Skogen

Im crossing my fingers for some Adam Sessler commentary.

VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By VicRattlehead

sigh not ustream... i can't control quality on ustream, therefore can't watch streams

really really gutted

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FLStyle

@StaticFalconar: Indeed!

@Skogen: The thought of that happening again is terrifying. Good chance it will happen if G4 does any kind of coverage this year (and then claim that it's their stream and not Evo's, as they do >_<).

@VicRattlehead: Not being able to control the quality is a huge factor, it certainly gets on my nerves when the function is nowhere to be seen during the WM Happy Hour. Using the pop-up works pretty well for me, frees the stream up a bit without the chat explosions during big moments. I better check that's actually on uStream, would be a real downer if not.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.