Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EVO Championship Series

Concept »

The World Fighting Game Championships in all but name. Since 2000, the Evolution Championship Series has been the most prominent fighting game tournament event. It features the best players from all over the world.

EVO 2015 Preview (July 17-19, live from Las Vegas) 3 days, 9 world championships to be decided!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Crazy match between Madzin and Perfect Legend

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Crazy match between Madzin and Perfect Legend

Seeing that hat that Madzin eventually landed on slowly make its way across the screen, that got a laugh out of me.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummytreesap: Agreed, KOFXIII deserved better than the amateur hour commentators that did its final top 8, hopefully it'll be remembered for the previous years more. Hoping KOFXIV is announced soon.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously though, give Cassie more voice samples or some shit. UuaAAAAAAoh! is the single biggest reason I can't play that character.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Failed fatality at the end of the match, and I said you were okay PL.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Lol expecting PL to do fatalities, come on people.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By hassun

@fredchuckdave: He's probably the worst at fatalities of any pro MK player in history. He should just make it his trademark (instead of being the petty heel).

Bad tournament again with losers finals being directly after winners finals.

Also Sonicfox is on another level compared to everyone else there. How much time did he need to get his Kitana to this level!?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hmoney001: Well it would be one thing if he hadn't tried, but he just obviously failed it.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By ThunderSlash

Carl "4th Place" White

@hassun I think Cassie actually has a bunch of "in pain" clips, they all just sound the same.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By hassun

@thunderslash: Yeah she has a few but during play they it feels like there are just two which constantly get repeated. It's incredibly annoying to me. Kitana's screaming is awful too but she seems to do it less than Cassie Cage.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All that ducking cus of those fans. Should've asked PL for advice. :P

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@hassun: I'm happy Pig of the Hutt got third since he's not a true Yomi as of yet; just has the tag; that way we could have a traditional Yomi vs Sonic Fox final.

Perfect Legend at least prevented any European invaders from stealing that $5000.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good shit from SonicFox, he made that look free.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By hassun

@l1ghtn1n: Yeah I love UMvC3 a whole lot more with this level of character variation.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now the question is if they'll patch EX Fan's combo damage scaling before EVO, though guess it's past the deadline; alas. But those 53% corner combos might eventually go away, the horror!

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Clack finished third, not a demigod yet. That triple P was sick/sad.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@hassun: That's uh..a weird reason to not play a character.

So catching up on ESL stuff this morning. Forgot it was yesterday. Really glad that Sonicfox won. Dude has put a lot of work into MKX while still winning at other games. He is insane.

Salty Legend coming in 4th is too hilarious. I wonder what his excuse is this time?

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

That MKX stuff sure was esportsy. The whole production made me feel a little ill. Especially the incredibly awkward segment before the Big D vs Madzin match. I liked the sponsored headphones on top of earbuds though. That was at least funny.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By hassun

@demoskinos: Is it really? Would you play a character for hours upon hours if that character constantly made the most annoying noise? I mean I suppose it would a good incentive to never want to get hit but that's about it.

On another note, the Topanga Ranking Battle continues over in Japan with some huge names like Kazunoko, Fuudo, Xian, Akimo, Wao, Nemo, Nishikin, Kyabetsu, Kyoku, Gonzalez, etc.

You can watch the archive here: http://www.twitch.tv/topangatv/v/7400181 (Thankfully, the video quality was much better this time.)

Some highlights:

Tokido vs Momochi

Kazunoko vs Shiro

Xian vs ついっぎー (Japanese T.Hawk)

Fuudo vs Kazunoko

Tokido vs Nishikin

Kyabetsu vs Gonzalez

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By hassun

Looks like there is another FGC documentary coming soon.

Loading Video...
    hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

how was curleh? Feel asleep and missed it.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By Fredchuckdave

I fought a Predator, was fun (4:40 in the video) also only took like 10 matches to find one:

Loading Video...

The 111-fan link just doesn't believe in coming out online anymore, alas. I did do a few IA fans today just doesn't come out consistently and I think I have to mentally make my thumb jittery for it to which is rather unappealing to me. I did have a cool match against Erron Black today but this wasn't the one, just free meter for days.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

how was curleh? Feel asleep and missed it.

Didn't watch it. Heard Chris G won, not going to watch the archive either!

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

@hmoney001: Fell asleep before the end of it but it was nice seeing the variety in teams (as mentioned above).

Going to be interesting to see if Kitana can be figured out before Evo (and even then that just means Sonic Fox is going to bring out Erron Black).

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@recspec: Kitana is pretty easy to figure out, you just play certain characters that can deal with her projectiles. There's nothing special about Sonic Fox's approach other than the absurd execution and so on (and maybe not being as stupid as the other Kitana players). Sonic Fox gave a shoutout to Yomi so presumably he's been playing Kitana against them as well so it's just a matter of whether DJT can beat him or not (or MIT I suppose, Scorpion is pretty good against Kitana unless you get baited hard).

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Barrel roll incoming!

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So it appears that the Rektreational 2 has veered off schedule and now Team Brad is going to play another match next Sunday. On the bright side, EVO on Sunday is only 1 stream so we might be able to share the chat.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Man this is the longest episode of UltraChen ever. Glad I'm on the west coast for this. Who's going to Evo? PS4 casuals in my room!

Avatar image for tournamentofhate
    TournamentOfHate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@starvinggamer: I highly enjoyed Ultrachen tonight, been digging there stuff more and more lately.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: I highly enjoyed Ultrachen tonight, been digging there stuff more and more lately.

I've never seen an Ultrachen (live) and I've never seen a Wednesday Night Fights ever. West Coast is no fun for UKers.

@hassun said:

So it appears that the Rektreational 2 has veered off schedule and now Team Brad is going to play another match next Sunday. On the bright side, EVO on Sunday is only 1 stream so we might be able to share the chat.

uggggggggggh, why on the Sunday?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@flstyle: Well the solution seems rather obvious, never sleep like @hassun WNF is/was late for everyone, used to be like 4am on the West Coast (and these people have jobs!).

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle: Well the solution seems rather obvious, never sleep like @hassun WNF is/was late for everyone, used to be like 4am on the West Coast (and these people have jobs!).

Damn, that's dedication!

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By amafi

Warming up for EVO by breaking in my hrap4 kai in usf4 training mode and watching E3 SFV matches. BIG stick, not sure I like the buttons yet, but the hayabusa lever feels nice. First time I've tried one and so far it's right up there with the Seimitsus for me.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: ... I have a job.

@flstyle: Not sure how the situation will be handled next Sunday. But I think we should at least be confident EVO will get top billing.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: We can always use Chaser's explosive runs application.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun said:

@fredchuckdave: ... I have a job.

@flstyle: Not sure how the situation will be handled next Sunday. But I think we should at least be confident EVO will get top billing.

I assume both srkevo1 and the Rektreational streams will be in chat for as long as Brad's match is on for. Maybe everyone will behave themselves and some Rektreational people who wouldn't have tuned into EVO will stick around. Then again it'll only take one comment from either side saying something against the stream they're not there for, for it to all kick off.

And on EVO weekend of all weekends.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By hassun

@thunderslash: The plan is to use both. Although explosiveruns will be more of a thing on Friday and Saturday because of the massive amount of streams.

@flstyle: We just need to have faith that everyone will be awesome to each other.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun said:

@thunderslash: The plan is to use both. Although explosiveruns will be more of a thing on Friday and Saturday because of the massive amount of streams.

@flstyle: We just need to have faith that everyone will be awesome to each other.

Even if it turns out to be the worst GB stream chat in the history of the site it'll still be infinitely better than the official twitch chat at least.

Zlatko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I'm so bummed about the removal of KoF XIII from EVO. It was one of the consistent best showings—even the horrendous shits in the Twitch chats who only like SF4 and (ugh) UMvC3 were quickly being won over. Goddammit SNK now you really have to make a new KoF. We haven't heard anything official about Tekken 7 in the US yet, right? Hoping some news will surface during EVO. Really pumped for that game.

I hope with this alliance with Sony that Capcom does very well with SF5. So much so that Sony money hats all their future projects ala Capcom vs SNK 3. :O

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By ThunderSlash

I'm not worried about the chat going to war with each other, the GB chat is generally respectful. Unless we get our own LTG impersonator, I'm sure nothing bad will happen. I'm more concerned about the part in which the chat is gonna be an unfocused mess because everyone is using the same outlet to talk about 2 completely different streams/games. Then again, I'm sure we've already done this before with Dan playing Bloodborne. And that went pretty much fine.

On another note: The tightest links in Street Fighter 5 will be three frames!

We ain't plinkin' no mo'! Now I can focus on my double tap game. And you can cancel into specials from chains now!

Neemer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amafi said:

Warming up for EVO by breaking in my hrap4 kai in usf4 training mode and watching E3 SFV matches. BIG stick, not sure I like the buttons yet, but the hayabusa lever feels nice. First time I've tried one and so far it's right up there with the Seimitsus for me.

HUGE stick. It's my first, so I have nothing to really judge it against, but I don't know if I like the buttons either. I was thinking about getting Sanwas, since they are highly regarded, but haven't yet due to lack of experience with alternatives.

What makes one button feel better than another?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neemer said:
    @amafi said:

HUGE stick. It's my first, so I have nothing to really judge it against, but I don't know if I like the buttons either. I was thinking about getting Sanwas, since they are highly regarded, but haven't yet due to lack of experience with alternatives.

What makes one button feel better than another?

Weight of the press needed to activate the switch, how deep the button goes, if it depresses evenly even if you hit the edge, the sound...there's a lot. I find it hard to put in words what I don't really like about it, kinda like trying to explain why I prefer cherry mx brown switches to reds or blues for keyboards. A set of 6 sanwas isn't that expensive, I think I'll just go for it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.