Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

FaceBreaker

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 02, 2008

An arcade-style boxing game by EA, designed to be a more accessible counterpart to EA's Fight Night series. It features a cartoonish selection of fighters, as well as a character creator.

What do you think about the demo?

runk3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By runk3n

So the demo got released today on XBox Live (and I guess PSN as well?). Your thoughts?

I didn't like it , sure it looks swell and the characters are a laugh. But the game play is f-ed. Maybe I'm the worst gamer in the world, but it felt that you only should mash buttons til you win or loose, totally random. Dodging, parrying and all the other defensive move was impossible to get right.
    Maybe I should give it another try, but I'm not sure its gonna be worth it.
    biccywics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By biccywics

Yeah I agree, got my ass pummeled even when i tried to be strategic. As you say, totally random is the best way to desrcibe this.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Cirdain

It had a difficult control scheme but when I finally got used to it I started notice how much I didn't like the game. I'm still sticking with Fight night round 3.

runk3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By runk3n

Its sad, cause I was looking forward to this game. Had hopes it was going to be this generations Punch Out "copy"... :(

Ma7moud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ma7moud

I've just played and I didn't like it.FNR3 is far better the only thing I liked about the demo was fighting against Peter Moore.

Strife88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Strife88

I haven't seen it on the Marketplace, but I'll download it the next time I go on.

outlaw4020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By outlaw4020

Yeah i played it for a bit, not to much fun, seems like the little kids will like it, button mashing and all.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I really enjoyed the demo and will definitely rent it when it comes out

spy0070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By spy0070

Its actually not that bad of a demo... create a boxer is fun (I've spent hours using it).

They could have possibly at least let the match go to 3 knockouts without have the 90 sec demo time limit for each match. Yeah, it might get repetitive, but it wasn't that bad... tell you the truth, the create-a-boxer saved the demo for me.

kilzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kilzombie

I felt weird to me. I didn't really like it.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By kush

I was disappointed by the demo...all the characters played the same and the fighting seemed to have no depth at all. I really just wish characters were more unique...It was a very sad demo :( ...and I couldn't get the "add you face" crap to work off of the site.

teekazeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By teekazeek

Yeah, I didn't think the demo was that great.  It made me actually specifically not want to buy the actual game.  I guess that's one use of a demo!

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By CharleyTony

the demo was awfull

they say fun and accessible, all I saw was boring and too simple...

this is clearly a kids game... hope they market it as such ,,, when you think that this game is coming out of EA sports, the company that shut down the EA chicago studios that made Fight Night Round 3 not too long ago .... this is completely crazy...

except of course if the new casual, kid and mommy friendly gaming customers represent more cash than the more traditionnal gaming crowd that has made the industry what it is ( well what it was about 1 year ago...)

I guess Fight Night Round 3 is still good instead of buying an inferior boxing game just to get new kicks... maybe EA Sports could alternate between the 2 franchises just to make everyone happy ...

Kudo Tsunoda ?  Where are you in our time of need ??? Being a behind the scenes producer for the Gears of War franchise is the answer but that s pretty much like no answer at all :(

Quadrifoglio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Quadrifoglio

I thought it was pretty awesome, but the fighting felt a little too button-mashy. And the difficulty definitely needs some tuning. Even when you're playing on Easy you get your ass kicked.

Subway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Subway

I got wrecked in my first fight, and deleted it.

Gangstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gangstar

I did sort of an impressions blog of the demo if anyone wants to check it. Here's most of it.

"FLRBBBBB!"
    This game is a pretty far off from a EA's Fight Night style of boxing. I got the impression from the trailer a few months back that it was going to be a boxing game with goofy and wacky cartoons. Facebreaker does have the wacky cartoons, but isn't so strong on the boxing side of things. Facebreaker steps away from the realism and is essentially an arcade fighter, somewhat similar in mechanics to Soul Calibur IV (of which I have been playing plenty lately... I'm terrible at fighting games but that one has sucked me in). The fighting is broken into rounds, first to 3 wins, as well as health bars, all of which confirm it for me as an arcade fighter.

The action is really  fast, definately qualifying it as a buttonmasher as you attempt to string together punch combos.  There's very little break from throwing punches all the time, except for an occasional useless grab or the computer pulling out a special beatdown on me. One button for low hit, one for high, and another for a strong Haymaker punch. You can charge up a punch, but the whole system is so limited you'll just be going back and forth on the punches as fast as you can. Parrying can be done by blocking appropriately high or low- you'll interrupt your opponents punch for opportunity to throw your own. And that's mostly how the game works, get an opportunity to interrupt, get as many punches in as you can before they do the same to you, switching back and forth. Granted this is the idea for most arcade fighters, but Facebreaker just seems really empty as far as what you can do.

One really neat feature in the game is the use of Xbox Live Camera that I conveniently received this past week as compensation for having to send in my broke ass 360 for the 5th time. And I was pretty happy to actually bust it out since I was wondering when I would have such an opportunity. So just by taking a straight on and a profile picture of your face and waiting about 10 minutes for it to process your beautiful mug, Facebreaker can do a pretty impressive job of slappin your face on a boxer. I must say, "Facebreaker me" was accurately quite dashing. And if you're not entirely satisfied with how it's looking there are a slew of detailed options for customizing them further. The demo has Kim Kardashian
    Imagine your face doing this.
    Imagine your face doing this.
    and Peter Moore available as custom boxers, and both of them look pretty good. The only weird thing I've noticed is how small the males' heads look. Especially Peter Moore's weasily little head on a giant muscular body. You can upload any fighter you make on Xbox Live, check out others people have created and download them for yourself. Seems like a really neat idea; the options are pretty unlimited, even more so with how much detail can be put into character creation. As dumb as it sounds, I'm looking foward to seeing more celebrities boxing.

Facebreaker didn't offer a whole lot to impress with other than the character creation and sharing. The fighting is exactly the kind of boring buttonmashing I'd rather stay away from. But I still would like to see if they have any kind of story or career mode, which I'm sure could be pretty nuts with the roster of bizarre boxers they have. Just being able to create and share such detailed fighters should be a reason to spend at least a little bit of time with Facebreaker, but I don't expect the poor gameplay is going to keep many playing.
    Gangstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gangstar
    CharleyTony said:
    "they say fun and accessible

this is clearly a kids game... hope they market it as such ,,, when you think that this game is coming out of EA sports, the company that shut down the EA chicago studios that made Fight Night Round 3 not too long ago .... this is completely crazy...

except of course if the new casual, kid and mommy friendly gaming customers represent more cash than the more traditionnal gaming crowd that has made the industry what it is ( well what it was about 1 year ago...)

I guess Fight Night Round 3 is still good instead of buying an inferior boxing game just to get new kicks... maybe EA Sports could alternate between the 2 franchises just to make everyone happy ..."
    Great post. It is weird that Fight Night got put down after all its greatness. Now they have this attempt at a more casual game (fun and accessible sounds like some good PR lingo), which they don't even have much of a market to get behind for the 360 or PS3. Maybe they can pull in some of the Wii crowd who are used to getting broken-ass casual games, but I'm pretty sure most people can detect a bad game. I hope anyway. So it does indeed seem like a bad move for EA Sports to do this.

I miss you Fight Night Round 3. Why did I sell you? I'm sorry. Please come back.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.