Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 30, 1998

Fallout 2 is the sequel to the critically acclaimed post-apocalyptic RPG.

I just don't get it.

GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY

I recently got Fallout 2 with high hopes that it was one of the best PC games ever. I was discouraged when I found that the first 10 minutes of the game consist of moving through a dank, uninteresting tunnel filled with ants, which each take 5 seconds to use their move points, and come in swarms of up to 6. This game, or at least the part I have had the stomach to play, should be called "Turn based ant kicker 2". Do things improve from the intro of TBAK2, or can I expect the rest of the game to follow this model?

I have a stomach for most broken or frustrating games, but this one seems to be the exception.

epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By epic_pets

It gets alot better, keep playing.

Guiltyspark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Guiltyspark

I had the same feeling when i played it

i guess diablo spoiled me

noextralife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By noextralife

Well don't forget your playing a game released in 1998, there where alot more turn based games, the game comes into its own and becomes alot more open ended the more you progress, so keep at it, you won't be disappointed.

GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY

I actually wasn't aware that I had the option to either punch or kick on the first run through. The punches did almost nothing against the ants, making a somewhat frustrating experience far worse. I will definitely give it another try. Thank you!

LocoRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By LocoRocker

the beginning of the game is a trial, once you get through the dungeon (ca 10 minutes) the whole world is open to you to explore and this is when the actual game begins. so stick to it and you won't be disappointed.
    concerning the ants and the radscorpions, use the spear!

evilhomer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By evilhomer

if you dont like it you could send your copy to me since i only have the first fallout at the moment.  that would be a very nice thing for you to do.

RobbieH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By RobbieH

The start of Fallout 2 is notoriously slow. Black Isle themselves admitted that they hated the beginning and the tutorial level was forced on them by Interplay.

Stick at it though; Fallout 2 is as good a role playing experience that you'll find.

Riicochet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Riicochet

If you gave up a game because you found the first few minutes lame then i wonder how you got this far as a vidya game fan....

KingAwesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KingAwesome

Having problems with the speed is a valid concern though. For the past 10 years I've been trying to get my friends to play this game, since I had such an amazing experience with it. Most of them play for a bit then get turned off because of the slow beginning.

I know everyone will say "oh just work past it" and normally I'm against that, because I agree that the game should pull you in from the beginning somehow. That being said, Fallout and Fallout 2 are 2 of the best games I've ever played. They'll make you laugh, cry, scream out loud as shit blows up, and make you think trying to figure out how to approach each situation in the game. The game absolutely rewards you for the time put in though. You get some great items, great character development, some really amazing stories to take part in, and the list goes on. The developers spent a lot of time crafting Fallout and Fallout 2 and inserting a lot of meticulous created content and I promise you won't be disappointed if you keep playing.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Yeah, I couldnt really get into Fallout either. :(

wipu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By wipu
    KingAwesome said:
    "I know everyone will say "oh just work past it" and normally I'm against that, because I agree that the game should pull you in from the beginning somehow."

Well the intro movie kinda pulls me in right away. Just to hear mr. Perlman say those words.. "War. War never changes."
    Still after all these years that particular line sends shivers down my spine almost everytime.

And about the Temple of Trials, if you don't like it, just run through the ants and avoid the radscorpions and you'll get out of there in few minutes.
    vaultboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By vaultboy

What helped me, and I was coming from Fallout 1, was to pick a character that is actually successful in combat at the beginning of the game.  It's been awhile and i don't remember whether you can put points in skills during character generation or not.  If so, I put most of my points into unarmed.  I'm pretty I tagged unarmed combat simply because of the advantage it gives early game (it does have an advantage or two late game too).  But, since punching uses a low number of AP, you can usually punch and move and make it impossible for critters (ants, scorpions, geckos, rats) to attack back (they only have the AP to move within range).  I doubt you do any less damage on average per round (you can't hit squat in the beginning), but you sure take less.

I realize it's exploiting the combat system, but early game combat is a joke.  Even once you get guns your skills are to low to hit anything.  It's much easier to be able to kick ass unarmed and build your other combat skills as you obtain those types of weapons.  Besides, there are some pretty good weapons to boost unarmed (and I think they still take the same AP as a punch) like brass knuckles and power fists.

Oh, and the Temple of Trials is by far the worst "tutorial" for a game ever.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#14  Edited By fox01313
    KingAwesome said:
    "Having problems with the speed is a valid concern though. For the past 10 years I've been trying to get my friends to play this game, since I had such an amazing experience with it. Most of them play for a bit then get turned off because of the slow beginning.

I know everyone will say "oh just work past it" and normally I'm against that, because I agree that the game should pull you in from the beginning somehow. That being said, Fallout and Fallout 2 are 2 of the best games I've ever played. They'll make you laugh, cry, scream out loud as shit blows up, and make you think trying to figure out how to approach each situation in the game. The game absolutely rewards you for the time put in though. You get some great items, great character development, some really amazing stories to take part in, and the list goes on. The developers spent a lot of time crafting Fallout and Fallout 2 and inserting a lot of meticulous created content and I promise you won't be disappointed if you keep playing.
    "
    Very true, I found a collection dvd of the 3 games on Amazon from the UK so just started playing it again. One thing that helped be get used to Fallout2 (remember playing #1 but fuzzy on #2) is turning the difficulties on the game & combat down & turn on the run mode which speeds things up some. Another thing that helped was the wiki below which if you go to the Fallout world section you can see a complete map to find things a little easier.  #1 was at least helpful in giving you a gun through that tutorial part of the cave but at least with #2 in that stupid temple you can boost up your xp by disarming the traps as well as using first aid/doctor skills on yourself. The wiki link below also has some good info of what I saw on the weapons & what to keep when you have to pick something to sell later.  Good luck to all in the wastelands until #3 comes out.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
    elevatedms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By elevatedms

Agreed on starting out with a "combat-heavy" character.  I probably spent more time on character creation trying to come up with the most interesting character than actually playing the game.  Typically because my ideal build would end up being too weak to make it through the first few quests.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Emilio

I would like to add that I thought the turn based fighting was SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

until I saw that speed slider in the options which makes enemy turns go quicker.

Yoghurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Yoghurt

Elevatedms-> In Fallout there are very few character sets that are considered "weak". Almost every possibility you use can get you through the game and being a combat reliant guy, surprisingly, isn't the best and easiest option avaliable. Most of the time (yeah, I still play it, after 10 years) I create phisical weakling with close to none fighting skills and it's possible to get through the whole game not shooting even once and have a lot of fun and new olutions to the problems this way. 

Oh, and regarding the temple of trials You can just run past the ants and scorpions and convince the guy by the door to let you through. Or just steal the key needed to open the door.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Captain_Fookup

You can't blame people who have only played Oblivion and other dumbed down RPGS  to fully comprehend an RPG with REAL choices.
    pandemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pandemic

The temple of trials didn't seem so bad--I was just put off by how difficult combat was early on in the game.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

it sucks if you play it now.
    it was good in 98, not really now.  Move along.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By RandomHero666

Im playin it atm, cant get into vault city cos the guards still want me from a previous robbery XD

As for the battle slowness you describe....try changing battle speed in Preferences, i also found turning up the brightness in there makes the games so much better to play

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bulldog19892

If you don't like how the combat moves so slow, you can go into options and turn up 'combat speed'.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By Tordah

Yeah, definately turn up combat speed. It will eliminate the problem of the enemies snail-like speed.

I'd also suggest turning up the brightness to Max. It will still be very dark during nighttime but it's tolerable.

Metiphis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Metiphis

Don't forget to immediately go to New Reno, find the Arms Dealer and then save the game, so you can plant a grenade on him and then steal his entire inventory and be decked out from relatively early in the game.  Load as necessary if he kills you ;P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.