Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Are the DLC any good?

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By HellBrendy

After 3 years of it dusting down in the shelf I decided to finally give Fallout 3 a real chance since I dropped it after five hours back in 08 (I actually started it on release)

Now, I'm 80 hrs in, walking to find empty triangles in Capitol Wasteland before I complete the game, and I'm wondering if I should jump over to New Vegas or extend the gameplay some more. Is the DLC worth the money?

Playing on Xbox 360.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By HellBrendy

After 3 years of it dusting down in the shelf I decided to finally give Fallout 3 a real chance since I dropped it after five hours back in 08 (I actually started it on release)

Now, I'm 80 hrs in, walking to find empty triangles in Capitol Wasteland before I complete the game, and I'm wondering if I should jump over to New Vegas or extend the gameplay some more. Is the DLC worth the money?

Playing on Xbox 360.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By McGhee

The DLC in Fallout 3 is awesome, especially The Pitt, Broken Steel and Point Lookout.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Point Lookout is really good. The rest are semi-interesting quests, but not really necessary. Worth playing if you're really into Fallout though.

New Vegas is a much better game.

ftomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By ftomato

Broken Steel is fantastic, it increases the level cap by 10, new perks, adds a bunch of more difficult enemies to the random spawns, and adds 6-7 more quests after the end of the game. If you haven't completed every single bit of content in the main game, this is a must buy, and even if you have it's great.

The Pitt and Point Lookout are both pretty good, they add a new area - The Pitt is smaller and has less quests, but the main plot line is better. I didn't like the main plot line in Point Lookout, but the area is larger and more interesting, and has some nice side quests.

You should pass on Mothership Zeta and Operation: Anchorage, they're pretty bad.

Also, you should consider taking a break from Fallout, jumping from F3 straight to F:NV seems crazy. The games are super long.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pweidman

Broken Steel extends the story and lvl cap and adds some perks, so it's essential imo.  Point Lookout is great, and well worth the play as well.  The others are for the hardcore fans, and not as worthy of your time or money.   

And if you like Fallout 3 you need to play New Vegas.  Despite it's smaller scope and size, and it's technical problems which are numerous(it's been patched to death), it's just loaded w/great ideas and improvements that make it more fun than FO3.  Black Isle dudes got involved w/Obsidian on FO:NV and their effects were very positive imo.
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By spazmaster666

I agree that Point Lookout is probably the best DLC for Fallout 3 and is probably better than any of the New Vegas DLC as well. Broken Steel is okay as well but more important because of what it gives you gameplay wise (increased level cap and more perks) versus the actual content itself. Though if given the choice, I would recommend you play New Vegas since story and character wise, it's a much richer experience than you'll get from any DLC. Also, while the improvements they made to the gameplay is meaningful is not hugely significant (hardcore mode for instance is a great addition). Money wise, it's definitely better to buy New Vegas for ~$15 vs. $10 for each piece of Fallout 3 DLC. You could also wait a couple of months and get the New Vegas Ultimate Edition which have all the DLCs for $50 but I didn't really like any of the New Vegas DLCs that much (and you would only end up saving $5 anyway).

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

I had the most fun with Point Lookout, Broken Steel, and The Pitt. Mothership Zeta was ok while Operation Anchorage was just 'meh'.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HellBrendy

Tanks! I'll get Broken Steel and Point Lookout.

How do they tie in with the game? Is just just there in the world or do I have to finish the main game because they take place in a "different" wasteland?

ftomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ftomato

Broken Steel immediately increases the level cap and changes the enemy spawns when you install it, but the new quests show up after the end of the original game.

When you install Point Lookout it gives you a quest to talk to an NPC who sends you to the new area. It can be done before completing the original main quest.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By toowalrus

@HellBrendy said:

Tanks! I'll get Broken Steel and Point Lookout.

How do they tie in with the game? Is just just there in the world or do I have to finish the main game because they take place in a "different" wasteland?

Broken Steel (I think that's the one) extends the end of the game, so make sure you've got that installed before you finish it. The others just appear as new radio distress calls and appear on your map like any other quests... Mothership Zeta actually causes a phat UFO to crash in the wasteland, and most of that DLC takes place inside of it (that was a nice change of pace).

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Apparently Fallout 3 has the best DLC in history 

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By TobbRobb

As many other have said, Broken Steel is pretty much a must, Point Lookout is the best of the bunch in every way and The pitt has a cool storyline, though I didn't like it that much. Mothership Zeta is plain shit, Operation Anchorage was kinda fun and you get some cool items, but meh, skip it.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HellBrendy

So if I'm smart I'll get Broken Steel, play around some more to level up and then play it?

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Getz

Skip Operation Anchorage, and probably even Mothership Zeta unless you just HAVE to have more fallout 3 content. They're not really that exciting.

eminenssi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By eminenssi

If I were you, I'd just get the F3 GOTY Edition, with all the DLC packed in. Been awhile since its release, so I bet you can find a used copy for what you'd pay for a single piece of DLC in the marketplace.

I agree that if you just wanna play the top DLC, then it's Point Lookout and Broken Steel. The thing with the other 3 DLCs (and main reason why people diss them) is that they follow the formula of enter DLC, lose all gear and don't get to return to main world until you've finished the new content.

AlecOfTheWest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By AlecOfTheWest

@WinterSnowblind said:

Point Lookout is really good. The rest are semi-interesting quests, but not really necessary. Worth playing if you're really into Fallout though.

New Vegas is a much better game.

This, although I would say The Pitt is worth playing as well.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sickVisionz

Broken Steel is great and it extends the level cap, which was the most important thing for me. I put down every RPG once I reach a point where I can't progress my character anymore. Broken Steel was what let me start playing FO3 again.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SlightConfuse

operation anchoagre has some nice loot at the end of it

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By mandude

I can't say I enjoyed the DLC too much, but if you're enjoying the rest of the game that much, I'm sure you'd like it enough. With New Vegas already out, I'd have to recommend that over the former, though.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HellBrendy

@Catfish666: Yeah, I've been thinking about it. Maybe I'll fid a used copy on Gamestop or something.

@mandude: Yeah, I'm thinking more and more on that too. But it's something about playing the shit out of this game wich I've been really enjoying so far that's keeping me from start up NV.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@McGhee said:

The DLC in Fallout 3 is awesome, especially The Pitt, Broken Steel and Point Lookout.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.