Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

I'm getting ready to call this game, "best of gen"

• 54 results
    ColMustard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ColMustard

Never thought I'd say it, and to be perfectly honest, bugs and little quirks in games don't bug me in the least.  I acknowledge this game has some.  It's just so good... the questing is like crack.  I love the leveling, the perks and the attention to small details that don't make me feel like I've got to micromanage.  The game just has so much to do and see and experience... I wanted to not like Bethesda because I hated Morrowind, but this game is just too good. 

Depending on its ending (which must be good if it is to be considered colmustard GOTY) this game could rival the enjoyment level of Mass Effect for me, not easily done.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By DualReaver

And that's why you're a complete joke.

ColMustard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ColMustard
    DualReaver said:
    "And that's why you're a complete joke."
    wow, your awesome... your like the guy that has to try and make the witty second post in a thread... your so awesome.
    DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DualReaver

No, I just think Gears 2 kicks its ass.

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Bass

since the ending isn't very good imo, it isn't goty. still a very good game though.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By tekmojo

Fallout 3 is sweet but dude how many games of this generation have you played. You sound like a 10 year old who just got a Wii for Christmas and is swinging your controller wildy in all directions just because it looks cool...give it some time, there is a lot more out there.

GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By GioVANNI

I always seem to want to stay in Megaton...  I hate exploring.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Cube

You fail.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By clubsandwich

are you the same colmustard from GS?

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#10  Edited By Vinchenzo

Best of gen? What a joke.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bulldog19892

Great game? No doubt. Best game of this console generation? No way.

There have been way too many fantastic games so far. Fallout 3, while awesome, gets lost among the shuffle.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#12  Edited By Vinchenzo

Fallout 3 isn't even the best game of the year, or the best game of that month. Dead Space totally trumps Fallout 3. Hell, even Fable II does.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By vidiot
    ColMustard said:
    "Never thought I'd say it, and to be perfectly honest, bugs and little quirks in games don't bug me in the least.  I acknowledge this game has some.  It's just so good... the questing is like crack.  I love the leveling, the perks and the attention to small details that don't make me feel like I've got to micromanage.  The game just has so much to do and see and experience... I wanted to not like Bethesda because I hated Morrowind, but this game is just too good. 

Depending on its ending (which must be good if it is to be considered colmustard GOTY) this game could rival the enjoyment level of Mass Effect for me, not easily done."
    It's too bad that some of those little bugs and quirks can actually break the game regarding what happens. I've heard of people wandering into Megaton only to find the person that he/she was getting a quest for has died to incredibly poor path finding thus actually stopping the player from completing the quest in question.

Fallout 3 is incredibly hit or miss. Whether it's bugs as detailed or gameplay mechanics that weren't exactly thought out as well as they should have been. You need to set higher standards for what you consider to be "best of this gen". At the end of the day when we look back on this gen, I can already think of laundry list of games and titles that we will be talking about before Fallout 3. Not to say that Fallout 3 is terrible, on the contrary, it's a good game overall. It should be noted that were not talking about a popularity contest here, it's a simple fact of better product that has been released during this gen.
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By daniel_beck_90

well it may not be the best game of this generation  but it certainly  is an awesome game that provides you hours and hours of discovery and exploration with a worthy story line .

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Captain_Insano

I'd put it up there as a Game of The Year contender (although in my list it still wouldn't win) as I enjoyed the hell out of Fallout 3 and didn't encounter any bugs or glitches that broke the game (although there was one quest character who followed me out of Rivet City into a section of a semi underwater quest. I couldnt talk with here there. She disappeard and then reappeared when i was at another quest on the other side of the map)

The game of the next gen is too big of a call and there are heaps of other games that can trump it, from this year as well as previous ones

Avatar image for deactivated-5e12c8fcf3f2c
    deactivated-5e12c8fcf3f2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

it would be better if the game world was bigger, or more varied at least. i was kind of hoping that it would be like morrowind, where almost every town, cave, dungeon, shack, etc was related to some quest in some way.  still goty for me though since nothing else this year really impressed me. but thats probably my fault for limiting myself to fps/rpgs.

Schizoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Schizoid

It's a great game, but no where near best of this gen. It has far too many bugs and that ending left me scratching my head because it was so pathetic.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pause422

No game deserves a title for best of gen honestly.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jayge_
    Vinchenzo said:
    "Fallout 3 isn't even the best game of the year, or the best game of that month. Dead Space totally trumps Fallout 3. Hell, even Fable II does."
    Oh heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell no.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By kush

So even though you haven't finished the game...you're still going to call in the best of the generation (not just the year). I could be very rude right now for your obvious stupidity, but I'll keep it simple and just say NO, it is nowhere near the best game of this "gen".

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By weltal

It's a great game. Not really the best of anything though.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By BoG

Best of gen? HA. It isn't even the best game this year. GTA, MGS, and Fable all beat it. Expand the window to 2 years, it can't stand up to Halo 3, Bioshock and Mario. I'd say Mass Effect is still the best RPG of this generation. Sorry, if Fallout is the best of the generation, the industry ought to be embarassed. The game lacks so much polish it is sad.

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lucas_kelly

I'm going to agree with him, somewhat. I would say this game is the best of this generation so far, if the ending hadn't killed it. It also had its glitches but it was an incredibly deep game with a lot to explore and a decent story. I did enjoy this game far more than GTA 4, Fable 2, Gears 2. GTA 4 was to realistic, trading fun for realism and had just as bad ending as Fallout did. Fable 2 was to shallow and tried to hard to appeal to the casual gamer. Gears of War 2 was just another linear action game like the first one. 
    If there was one award I would give it it would be worst ending award followed by GTA 4 and Fable 2.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Snail

I find it funny how no one agrees with you.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By atejas

I'd still have to say Lost Odyssey for me, but then again, I haven't played Gears 2 or Dead Space.

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lucas_kelly

Lost Odyssey, that's something I can agree on.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jayge_
    Snail said:
    "I find it funny how no one agrees with you."
    I wouldn't call it best of the gen. The generation isn't over and I don't think any game is ever worthy of that title.

I would, however, call it Game of the Year with a straight face.

and lol @ BoG. I've almost never seen him so, so, *so* wrong.
    BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BoG
    Jayge said:
    "Snail said:
    "I find it funny how no one agrees with you."
    I wouldn't call it best of the gen. The generation isn't over and I don't think any game is ever worthy of that title.

I would, however, call it Game of the Year with a straight face.

and lol @ BoG. I've almost never seen him so, so, *so* wrong."
    How am I wrong? The game is full of flaws, and as I said, lacks the polish of many great games. Fallout 3 for me was both great for the little details, but was also killed by those little details it ignored. Maybe, I just have something against games with terrible AI, terrible character animations, broken 3rd person cameras, shaky combat, poor weapon sounds, and a plethora of technical problems. I just thought everyone was.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jayge_
    BoG said:
    "Maybe, I just have something against games with terrible AI, terrible character animations, broken 3rd person cameras, shaky combat, poor weapon sounds, and a plethora of technical problems. I just thought everyone was."
    BoG said:
    "I'd say Mass Effect is still the best RPG of this generation."
    BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BoG
    Jayge said:
    "BoG said:
    "Maybe, I just have something against games with terrible AI, terrible character animations, broken 3rd person cameras, shaky combat, poor weapon sounds, and a plethora of technical problems. I just thought everyone was."
    BoG said:
    "I'd say Mass Effect is still the best RPG of this generation."
    "
    Mass Effect was plagued with graphical problems, but did not have bad AI, animation, and a broken camera. The technical problems in ME don't compare to those in Fallout, either. Needless to say, this generation really has been lackluster for RPGs.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jayge_
    BoG said:
    "Mass Effect was plagued with graphical problems, but did not have bad AI, animation, and a broken camera. The technical problems in ME don't compare to those in Fallout, either. Needless to say, this generation really has been lackluster for RPGs."
    It had bad AI, shitty combat, shitty weapons, tons of graphical issues (a.k.a... technical problems) etc. etc.
    I just point out hypocrisy where I see it. Take it or leave it.
    thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By thebeast

It's a tough call - I really like Fallout 3, it's engrossing and entertaining and does a whole lot of things completely right. On the other hand, mechanically it's a bit aging, but it's definitely provided me with enough entertainment to cast its problems aside.

I probably wouldn't call it 'Best of Gen', perhaps 'Best Really Fun, Engrossing RPG That's Had Me Playing For Ages and is Generally Pretty Good of the Year'.
    BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BoG
    Jayge said:
    "BoG said:
    "Mass Effect was plagued with graphical problems, but did not have bad AI, animation, and a broken camera. The technical problems in ME don't compare to those in Fallout, either. Needless to say, this generation really has been lackluster for RPGs."
    It had bad AI, shitty combat, shitty weapons, tons of graphical issues (a.k.a... technical problems) etc. etc.
    I just point out hypocrisy where I see it. Take it or leave it."
    The AI in Mass Effect wipes the floor with the AI in Fallout 3, as does the combat, though that may be an issue of opinion. I don't know why you are complaining about the weapons, I had no problem with them. In F3, the weapons are fine, they are just poorly animated, and the sound effects are very lackluster. Once again, F3 had many more technical problems. I'm not saying ME is a shining example of a game, it's simply the best thing we've gotten yet.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By pause422

I thought Fallout 3 was a really great game, and am still playing it, but I would say maybe one of the best of this year....but not close to best of this gen. As I said before, I don't think any game deserves a title 'best of gen' from anyone really.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Karmum

Oh god -- not even close. Not even the best game of this year, in my opinion.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By oraknabo

I'm finally playing this and I think it's a top-tier game, but I like the AI and dialogue system in Mass Effect far better, I like the open worlds and character realism in GTA and Far Cry 2 better. I like this game a lot better than Oblivion mostly because of the setting and I think if it had been a launch game it would have blown peoples' minds, but I hope to god we get at least a few better games than this before this gen is over. Calling any game "best of gen" is pretty depressing since it assumes that until the next systems come out, we're not going to get anything better.

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By whackmypinata

How the hell are you guys going to argue whether a game is GoTY or not? With that many high quality games, it obviously comes down to personal taste.

Dark_Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Dark_Shadow

Huh? O.o

ColMustard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ColMustard
    TheBeast said:
    "It's a tough call - I really like Fallout 3, it's engrossing and entertaining and does a whole lot of things completely right. On the other hand, mechanically it's a bit aging, but it's definitely provided me with enough entertainment to cast its problems aside.
    I probably wouldn't call it 'Best of Gen', perhaps 'Best Really Fun, Engrossing RPG That's Had Me Playing For Ages and is Generally Pretty Good of the Year'.
    "
    Thats a comment I can buy... thanks for actually adding to the conversation as opposed to the rest of these maggots.  My point was that for sheer entertainment and immersion, I can't seem to shake the fact that Fallout 3 delivers.  I'm not interested in some soapbox speech about how it doesnt match the spirit of the first 2 or that it's not oblivian.  The fact remains (as stated in my opening post) at this point 45 hours into the game, so long as the story (which has been every bit as entertaining as any other game I've played in a while) does not massivley tail off and it doesn't have some god aweful ending a la Bioshock, I can see myself calling this game a "best of gen" game when all is said and done.  Sorry, if you don't like that (this is not directed, in any way at "theBeast" who actually added to the thread) I have an opinion than go to china...
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40  Edited By jakob187

Ain't no Left 4 Dead.

ColMustard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ColMustard
    jakob187 said:
    "Ain't no Left 4 Dead."
    you might be right, I'm not ruling anything out, I just think that Fallout 3 will be a fond gaze back at this gen when we're knee deep in next gen.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By LiquidPrince
    ColMustard said:
    "Never thought I'd say it, and to be perfectly honest, bugs and little quirks in games don't bug me in the least.  I acknowledge this game has some.  It's just so good... the questing is like crack.  I love the leveling, the perks and the attention to small details that don't make me feel like I've got to micromanage.  The game just has so much to do and see and experience... I wanted to not like Bethesda because I hated Morrowind, but this game is just too good. 

Depending on its ending (which must be good if it is to be considered colmustard GOTY) this game could rival the enjoyment level of Mass Effect for me, not easily done."
    Some? Some? That is the biggest understatement in the current gaming world.

ColMustard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ColMustard
    tekmojo said:
    "Fallout 3 is sweet but dude how many games of this generation have you played. You sound like a 10 year old who just got a Wii for Christmas and is swinging your controller wildy in all directions just because it looks cool...give it some time, there is a lot more out there."
    Sorry, I can't take this serious.  It's like you didn't even read what I wrote?  At no time did I even remotely resemble an out of control kid.  I merely stated that the game is outstanding in most every aspect and of the dozens and dozens of games I've played this gen, it ranks amongst the best.  Other than that, I'm 30 years old, married with 2 children and a career, I was gaming on an Atari 2600 long before your parents regreted infesting a test tube with baby "you"
    ColMustard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ColMustard
    LiquidPrince said:
    "ColMustard said:

Some? Some? That is the biggest understatement in the current gaming world.

"
    go easy, what glitch made the game unplayable and unenjoyable for you?
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

you know what i wanna know why is alot of people on the first page saying fable 2 is better i  just beat it and even though it was enjoyable it lasted like 7 hours the last boss {if you can call it that} was a joke and i didn't find a single character likeable thought the whole damn game except for the dog ! 

also Way to easy if you a ghoul Augment you will never ever die. 
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By atejas

It's enjoyable, balanced, humourous at times, polished in terms of story and exploration.
    VATS is great fun, realtime sucks majorly, faces and animations are still horrible, erm........that's all I can think of.
    Of course, mod me some real ironsights and I'm prepared to bump this up to one of, if not the, best game this gen.

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Gameboi

I'm playing through it right now, and I'm having a hard time falling head over heels for it. It's by no means a terrible game, but I keep feeling like I should enjoy it more than I do -- thanks to every gaming site under the sun raving about it constantly.

Bugs aside, it just doesn't draw me in to the world as much as I'd like. I'm thinking that it's partially my own taste in games that is the culprit here, as the whole "just wander around vast distances in any direction, fighting every so often along the way" formula isn't doing much for my attention span.

Bethesda obviously put much time and effort into the game, and the landscape is quite haunting.  You do feel a real sense of dread while traversing the wasteland.  Something is just.... missing. I can't put my finger on it.

ColMustard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ColMustard
    Gameboi said:
    "I'm playing through it right now, and I'm having a hard time falling head over heels for it. It's by no means a terrible game, but I keep feeling like I should enjoy it more than I do -- thanks to every gaming site under the sun raving about it constantly.

Bugs aside, it just doesn't draw me in to the world as much as I'd like. I'm thinking that it's partially my own taste in games that is the culprit here, as the whole "just wander around vast distances in any direction, fighting every so often along the way" formula isn't doing much for my attention span.

Bethesda obviously put much time and effort into the game, and the landscape is quite haunting.  You do feel a real sense of dread while traversing the wasteland.  Something is just.... missing. I can't put my finger on it."
    I'm not saying everyone is gonna be in love with it... Opinion is a great thing and I value yours.  For me it has been probably the first game in a very long time where I'm having a hard time putting the controller down, its always, "one more quest" "one more trip to Megaton...etc."  But, hey, GTA4 got boring after about 2 hours for me, so what does my opinion mean...  
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#49  Edited By Red

I love how no one knows whether Bethesda makes good games or not.

And I also love how I never actually get glitches on my 360. Oblivion will crash every once and a while but I never experienced ANY hitches with Mass Effect besides texture pop-ins.

ColMustard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ColMustard
    Red said:
    "I love how no one knows whether Bethesda makes good games or not.

And I also love how I never actually get glitches on my 360. Oblivion will crash every once and a while but I never experienced ANY hitches with Mass Effect besides texture pop-ins."
    same here... Mass Effect was beautiful and virtually error free.  Other than Walter dissapearing and some slow save screens Fallout has been amazing as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.