Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 4

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 10, 2015

The Fallout series continues in a post-apocalyptic Boston, Massachusetts.

Any fix yet for the 144hz Monitor issue?

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Mister_V

I just started playing the PC version and It's running great so far apart from the fact that whenever I use a computer terminal my guy gets stuck trying to leave it. I have had a look online and it seems tied to to the refresh rate of my monitor (144hz) I can stop the issue by dropping the refresh rate to 60hz but then the game seems a bit less smooth.

Has anyone come up with a fix for this yet? Any mods out there for it or will I be messing with config files?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Fallout 4 always forces vsync unless you force it off in Nvidia's control panel or change some values in some .ini files. I have a 144hz (not megahertz) monitor and the vsync in Fallout 4 just doesn't look right at all when combined with a high refresh rate. It also seems to have weird physics issues, like the terminal thing, which I got once early in the game.

I wound up forcing vsync off in Nvidia's control panel and I used Nvidia Inspector to cap the framerate at 75. I'm using a GTX 970, 8GB RAM, and an i5 3470 and have had zero issues with anything since doing that. It's been super smooth since. Sometimes the framerate drops to the 50's, but I can only notice that when I have Steam's frame counter on. Otherwise, it's all A-OK. I don't need to change the refresh rate every time I start the game, I don't have problems with vsync's input lag, I don't have problems with the game's physics, etc.

If you're using an AMD card and want to force vsync off, you have to do it in config files. You also have to find a way to cap the framerate at around 75 or so - 60 is probably best but I haven't had any problems at 75. If you have the game running at 90+, the physics start to act funny - you'll notice that things fall faster, the player character's jump doesn't feel right, and you might move faster or see lips not synced to the lines they're saying.

So, yeah, vsync's the culprit.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@mister_v: So you should definitely get Fallout 4 to stop forcing vsync.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: Yeah ill have a look at that later. Thanks for the help.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I had something weird happen. I have a 144 Hz monitor, so I was forcing it to be 60 Hz when I played Fallout to avoid issues. Then one day (no patch, no update to anything), it started running at half my capped frame rate. So it ran at 30 fps when I capped it at 60 Hz. So I just left it at 144 Hz and it runs at 72 fps, really weird.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mister_V

Quick update. I tried forcing off v sync in the nvidia settings but doing that made the controller unusable in the menus. Instead my monitor has a button on it that quickly swaps between 60hz 120hz and 144hz. Whenever I get to a terminal in the game I swap to 60hz, do what I need to do and swap back. Not the most elegant solutions but it seems to be working so far.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.