Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 4

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 10, 2015

The Fallout series continues in a post-apocalyptic Boston, Massachusetts.

How's the dungeon crawling element in the game so far?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

So I haven't bought Fallout 4 yet, mostly because I'm concerned if whether or not the game will grab me past 10 hours. Since I assume the large majority of the content involves dungeon and dilapidated interiors to crawl into and loot, I wanted to know if that stuff is actually fun or repetitive. Will I be killing this game's alternative to Draugr every 30 seconds? Are they linear joy rides like Skyrim's? Because if so, count me out. I'll probably get this game during a sale.

If not and they're like Bethesda's previous titles like Oblivion or Fallout 3, then I'm in. Not to say the dungeons in those games are perfect, but at least you didn't see a Draugr or a Falmer pop out in the same predictable crypt or hole every goddamn time.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By alexl86

I've played for 30ish hours now, but haven't really touched the main quest. I have seen a lot of different enemies, though Raiders are perhaps more common than the rest.

The problem with the Draugr was that the game insisted on sending you on quests in Draugr dungeons. Every major quest line forces you through Draugr ruins at least once.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Zeik

Fallout isn't exactly a series that lends itself to "dungeons". The first two games kinda sorta did I suppose, but they were still pretty small by comparison to similar games of the era.

Although Fallout 3 did have the equally annoying subway tunnels that all looked alike and seemed to take up half the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@zeik said:

Although Fallout 3 did have the equally annoying subway tunnels that all looked alike and seemed to take up half the game.

Wow, I forgot about that. That part really sucked.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

It's alright. I like the new crafting stuff, because it added a new layer to the looting. I get really excited now when I find desk fans, duct tape and wonderglue. Finding these rare components is almost more satifying then finding new gear.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By LawGamer

I dunno. The game isn't really grabbing me so far. The lack of polish present in Bethesda games has now reached beyond graphical hitches and AI weirdness and kind of permeated the entire experience. Everything just lacks "tightness" if that makes any sense. There are a ton of systems, but all of them are badly or annoyingly implemented in some way. For example, base management is present, but the UI sucks and nothing is tutorialized. You have multiple companions, but the AI stinks and your companion will be in the way more often than not. Inventory management is a disaster. Just a lot of little things that make the game kind of a drag.

As far as the dungeons go, it depends on how much you like dilapidated neo-50's futurism because you're going to get a lot of that. Personally, I can't really tell the inside of one factory apart from the other. Several of them are really big, but the "blahness" of the design makes it kind of hard to find your way around in them.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Humanity

@tru3_blu3: If you played Fallout 3 then any question you might have about Fallout 4 can be easily answered with: "it's the same like it was in Fallout 3". Most of the bunkers, labs, bases and sewers that I've explored thus far have been more or less identical to the content from the previous games. They aren't more detailed, or worse, perhaps they loop around more often than they used to like they did in Skyrim, but for the most parts it's the same maze-like mish-mash of dilapidated hallways with caved in dead ends and broken doors.

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

Fallout isn't exactly a series that lends itself to "dungeons". The first two games kinda sorta did I suppose, but they were still pretty small by comparison to similar games of the era.

No, Fallout 4 is almost EXCLUSIVELY dungeons. Or, at least, the way I have been playing it.

I think they are both REALLY good and kind of disappointing.

The good:

They are all EXTREMELY unique. Every single dungeon that I have encountered has had unique art and a unique storyline. The bookstore looks like a bookstore. The library looks like a library. The hospital looks like a hospital. It's GORGEOUS. But, that's also because a good number of the buildings are parodies of actual buildings that really exist in Boston. Every landmark basically doubles as a dungeon. Each dungeon takes between an hour and 2 hours to play through. The map is RIDICULOUSLY dense, and I can spend 2 hours in a dungeon, walk a block on the map and then enter yet anotehr dungeon. It gets to be a little tedious, actually, but nothing says you have to do it aside from liking to see that "cleared!" designation on the map screen.

The bad:

While every dungeon does have a storyline, a little bit of text or voice recording business, they storylines all seem weak. For the most part, anyhow. I feel like previous TES and Fallout games always had a little twist to each dungeon. There was an ironic note, a tragedy, something quirky or something humorous. Say, a man hoarded all his treasures and then was buried by a landslide so you find a skeleton next to a big pile of loot. Or a young couple commits suicide so you find their skeletons holding hands. SOMEthing like that. The storylines in this game feel flat. For instance, (not a big spoiler at all, this is one dungeon out dozens), I did a dungeon run of a toy company earlier today. There is a toy that you find in the wasteland that can fetch a high price at resellers. You can usually only find it in pieces. Going to the factory you can find an entire closet full of fully-assembled mint condition toys that you can load up on and haul out of the dungeon. The storyline associated with the dungeon winds up being that, as revealed to you by hacking computers, the toy company shut down after the bombs fell and converted into a factory that made landmines. The founder resigned. Like, I GUESS that's kind of darkly humorous? But it mostly just feels flat. I feel like I've seen much better work in previous games.

But, all told, the dungeons are pretty fun. The real meat of the game lies in the interaction between monsters and guns. Each dungeon can be, for ht most part, very open, moderately open, or close quarters. Monsters can be either smart and cautious (humans), dumb and aggressive (supermutants) or ruthlessly aggressive (robots). Which monster type you encounter in which environment determines which weapon load out you use. It's really a fun bit of tactical thinking and resource management.

Avatar image for bernard_bernoulli
    Bernard_Bernoulli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bernard_Bernoulli

I'm not really sure what you're asking. Will it grab you past ten hours? I have no idea. I'm at 26 and it's still great.

Did you like the "dungeons" in Fallout 3? The buildings and interiors of Fallout 4 are similar.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.